Log-in changes?

Up until a couple of days ago my log-in persisted on both my desktop and laptop with no issue; but now all of a sudden logging in on one logs the other out which is proving very irritating.

Has something changed in the forum setup? and is there a way to put it back?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The admins made a backend change made to the forum software so that it is no longer possible to login from multiple locations at once due to some recent security issues. Unfortunately it's unlikely to be changed back although I'll let them give you an official stance on that.

In fact the forums logs me out randomly even while on the same computer. Been getting all kinds of weird stuff (like the one ItsASpork posted about)

Could you please elaborate on 'weird stuff'?

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

But that's the thing:

Both computers are in the same house so have the same external ip; so for all intents and purpose are the same location.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

But that's the thing:

Both computers are in the same house so have the same external ip; so for all intents and purpose are the same location.

I think the login system is based on your browser, not your IP address. Don't quote me on that though. One of the admins can give you a more exact answer.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Yep the login system is based on switching your browser or switching computers - not on IP address/location. As someone who frequently browses Tip.It on her desktop, laptop, and phone, believe me when I say I know exactly how annoying this is. We decided to make the change for security reasons and at this time we will not be switching it back. It really sucks and we apologize, but we feel that it's necessary.

The random log outs (without switching browsers/computers) is a glitch. We're not sure how to fix it at this time but it's most likely something on IPB's end, and hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Surely they could be a way to append onto the system to ignore browser or computer switches from the same ip address?

As that would still cover the main security issue, but at least ease the interruption to user experience for people using more than 1 system within their own home.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I imagine that would require custom modifications and take quite a while to implement, whereas this option is just switching a setting in the ACP. We try to avoid custom modifications as much as possible, as they can create annoying problems when upgrading. I can't say whether or not that will ever happen without talking to Peter, but right now we do have other things to worry about first.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Damn this sucks bad. Much less Tip.it for me now I guess. :(

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

We've had similar issues on my clan's forums where the forum keeps logging you out, sometimes even when performing specific actions such as editing a topic description. A lot of the issues should be ironed out in the next IPB upgrade (3.2x) because it has a different way of managing posts and sessions.

j0xPu5R.png

Hehe I was just going to post XD We turned it off because the feature was too glitchy for us to take proper advantage of it.

Posted Image

Hehe I was just going to post XD We turned it off because the feature was too glitchy for us to take proper advantage of it.

Awesome, thanks very much. :)

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Awesome!

Plv6Dz6.jpg