Labtops

Lacoste

Hey, so I am interested in purchasing either a macbook pro, or air for my sister, and I was wondering which would be a good one? I am open to other suggestions its just that those 2 are the ones that i like and what she might like. one of the main things i am looking for is capability for longterm usage overseas, other then the power voltage converting should i look into anything else, ofcourse durability and looks are small factors, i just want to know whats a good one she can use mainly out of the country(school)

I dont have any intentions of purchasing from the country where she studies either because the products there are hard to come by and she lives in a small town. so yeah any suggestions would be great, im not looking to spend more then 1000$ canadian dollars either.

So will products I buy from here work overseas? including maybe an ipod/itunes digital cameras and such? any sort of information would be great!

thanks

If you're on any kind of budget, don't get anything branded by apple. You'll get more bang-for-your-buck with any 'pc' computer. You don't need to worry about voltage, all latops have transformers.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Don't get a macbook air. Even $500 can get you a nice windows laptop, while you're looking at $1000 for the basic macbook.

For example, this laptop is $200 cheaper, and wins in every category except HDD speed.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-15-6-intel-core-i5-processor-2410m-laptop-sf511-ivory-sf511/10175776.aspx?path=ae42229ee74f2c675ad1cf46e069517ben02

I'm going to have to say not really. The parts tend to be a little cheaper so they can keep the price down. You really do get what you pay for. I would stick in the $700+ range for a good laptop. Also try and look up reviews of that laptop and stick with a reliable brand. Some of the cheaper ones with cheaper parts tend to break down a little more often and might leave you without a computer.

Myself being a university student who has used both windows laptops and now a macbook pro would recommend the macbook pro. Not only was I finding I had to replace the windows laptops after a year and a half to two years they were a bit of a pain to keep stable as they fill with random files and downloads. Not to mention the major slow downs when you start to fill it. If you watch what you're doing and don't download a bunch of garbage I'm sure you'd be fine. I bought this macbook pro in 2009 and it's still running perfectly. I had to replace the battery after 2 years but that was all that needed to be done. Also when apple releases a new operating system they only charge like $29 to upgrade, not $150.

I've now added a Solid State Drive to my laptop and with the keyboard off and the screen dimmed I can get somewhere between 8-9 hours on battery while using a word processor in class. I was amazed at the battery life gain with the new hard drive, but typical web browsing brings the battery life back down to around 5-6 hours.

I know people will argue that the price of the macbook compared to the price of any windows pc is ridiculous but apple must be doing something right. I've noticed in school the number of MacBooks entering lecture are starting to take over, very few people bring any windows based pcs into class. Well if they do they tend to be the first person running for a plug in. If there was no intention to take the laptop to class and to study at school than the vastly longer battery life really isn't much of an argument.

I think the MacBook is worth the money when going to school but most here I'm sure will disagree.

I'm going to have to say not really. The parts tend to be a little cheaper so they can keep the price down. You really do get what you pay for. I would stick in the $700+ range for a good laptop. Also try and look up reviews of that laptop and stick with a reliable brand. Some of the cheaper ones with cheaper parts tend to break down a little more often and might leave you without a computer.

Yeah, this is true. If you want cheaper prices, it's probably better to order online - they are generally cheaper than brick & mortar shops.

Myself being a university student who has used both windows laptops and now a macbook pro would recommend the macbook pro. Not only was I finding I had to replace the windows laptops after a year and a half to two years they were a bit of a pain to keep stable as they fill with random files and downloads. Not to mention the major slow downs when you start to fill it. If you watch what you're doing and don't download a bunch of garbage I'm sure you'd be fine. I bought this macbook pro in 2009 and it's still running perfectly. I had to replace the battery after 2 years but that was all that needed to be done. Also when apple releases a new operating system they only charge like $29 to upgrade, not $150.

Your installation fills with random files and downloads because you download them ;). I'm running a 2 year installation with 10 days uptime and it's smooth as ever. That argument about updates is dubious - they are more frequent and more similar to service packs, in a sort of middle ground.

I know people will argue that the price of the macbook compared to the price of any windows pc is ridiculous but apple must be doing something right. I've noticed in school the number of MacBooks entering lecture are starting to take over, very few people bring any windows based pcs into class. Well if they do they tend to be the first person running for a plug in. If there was no intention to take the laptop to class and to study at school than the vastly longer battery life really isn't much of an argument.

Yep, Apple have a great marketing team that target people pretty similar to you :)

RIP TET

original.png

Personally for me I need my computer to work when I'm in school. I've just had better luck with my macbook. Went through two windows laptops before this one. Believe me it's not marketing that got me hooked on this laptop. I think the marketing they do is ridiculous and overdone. Turn around time for a repair on my desktop took a week, turnaround for work on my macbook was like 20 minutes. Longer I suppose if parts needed to be ordered.

Personally for me I need my computer to work when I'm in school. I've just had better luck with my macbook. Went through two windows laptops before this one. Believe me it's not marketing that got me hooked on this laptop. I think the marketing they do is ridiculous and overdone. Turn around time for a repair on my desktop took a week, turnaround for work on my macbook was like 20 minutes. Longer I suppose if parts needed to be ordered.

Depends which brand your windows based laptop was. My 3.5 year old Asus is still working like a new one, and only formatted it once to upgrade to Win 7.

The issue is whether or not the slight increase in reliability is worth the much larger cost.

For me it isn't, but I can definitely understand if it is for some people.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The reliabilty definately isn't worth the extra cost for most people really. From personal experience you can't really afford to be without a computer for even a couple days while going to school. Once I'm done school I'm not sure I'd puchase another macbook as I do like my windows computer as well. Although if I was traveling and desired increased battery life and some of the other little perks that come with the macbooks I'm sure I would do it again.

And about customer satisfaction... are you implying that you never read reviews? I guess if somebody else likes a product you won't... I'm really not certain what you are trying to say here.

The reliabilty definately isn't worth the extra cost for most people really. From personal experience you can't really afford to be without a computer for even a couple days while going to school. Once I'm done school I'm not sure I'd puchase another macbook as I do like my windows computer as well. Although if I was traveling and desired increased battery life and some of the other little perks that come with the macbooks I'm sure I would do it again.

And about customer satisfaction... are you implying that you never read reviews? I guess if somebody else likes a product you won't... I'm really not certain what you are trying to say here.

I assume he's referring to the groupie mentality some apple users have - mac can do no wrong. In that sense, they'll always be "satisfied" even though the quality might not be as good as other products.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I assume he's referring to the groupie mentality some apple users have - mac can do no wrong. In that sense, they'll always be "satisfied" even though the quality might not be as good as other products.

I suppose this might be that case. The only apple products I've seen with lower quality is some of the accessories. The Mac computers I haven't seen much lacking other than the slow connections for external drives. The new Thunderbolt seems nice, but scarce and a bit ridiculous for now. :)

Customer satisfaction is a terrible way to judge a product.

Could you expand on that, please? Genuinely curious.

I'm not sure how he meant it, but I would say that most people who take the time to give feedback on products are the ones who have some complaint about it, however minor. That's not to say all reviews are from people with problems, but the majority are really for most products.

RIP TET

original.png

[insert] = Question about Macs

[Output] = Rivalry of PCs vs. Macs

I'd go for the Air for school, but it really depends on what you need the computer to do. Basically said Macbook Air is lighter cheaper and good for everyday use, but Macbook Pros are for a bit more power a bit more expensive and heavier. Depends if you're traveling a lot and if all you really need is to do papers, check emails and light programs.

(P.s im on the Pc end of the spectrum, I personally don't believe in paying over a grand for a laptop when I could get two laptop pcs for the same price)

randomkcopyq.png

Meh, Macs aren't worth the overprice. Just in class, one guy has a $3000 Macbook (Pro I think) while the other guy has an Asus republic of gamers with much better specs that he got for $1400.

Meh, Macs aren't worth the overprice. Just in class, one guy has a $3000 Macbook (Pro I think) while the other guy has an Asus republic of gamers with much better specs that he got for $1400.

If specs were everything, I wouldn't be using my Mac right now.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Guys, I dont need advice on how to save money, I really have no problem dishing out a few hundred dollars and getting a mac, simply because its a mac. What I am mainly looking into is the usage of it overseas, and general travelling. I figured the air would be too fragile, and i hear it has no dvd player, which I think iis horrible, so I am looking into the smaller version of macbook pro's right now.

I own a macbook myself and have found the experience much better then with some of the windows ones I have had before, so I think we should drop the whole PC, Mac argument.

Im leaning towards getting the 1200$ macbook pro just because its more then what my sister will need, plus im sure she will love it, she's not a serious computer user, and it is a bit difficult to get internet in the country i am taking it to.

Also a sidebar, If i purchased a gaming system would it be compatable with things overseas? Probably a silly question but I'd figure I ask it anyway, also, mobile phones?

If specs were everything, I wouldn't be using my Mac right now.

Specs are not everything, as you said. Brand also has something to do. If you had a Dell or emachines, it's normal that you're having better experience with a Mac, but if you had an Asus, you'd regret buying a mac.

Guys, I dont need advice on how to save money, I really have no problem dishing out a few hundred dollars and getting a mac, simply because its a mac. What I am mainly looking into is the usage of it overseas, and general travelling. I figured the air would be too fragile, and i hear it has no dvd player, which I think iis horrible, so I am looking into the smaller version of macbook pro's right now.

I own a macbook myself and have found the experience much better then with some of the windows ones I have had before, so I think we should drop the whole PC, Mac argument.

Im leaning towards getting the 1200$ macbook pro just because its more then what my sister will need, plus im sure she will love it, she's not a serious computer user, and it is a bit difficult to get internet in the country i am taking it to.

Also a sidebar, If i purchased a gaming system would it be compatable with things overseas? Probably a silly question but I'd figure I ask it anyway, also, mobile phones?

Why not ask her if she has any preferences? I can't personally justify the expense of a mac, but if you can then by all means go ahead, so long as you know that there are definitely 'pc' equivilants.

Yeah, if you bought a gaming computer it should be compatible with power overseas, so long as the voltage is the same and/or it has a voltage switch on the PSU (applies to desktops only). If it is a desktop by the way, don't buy a prebuilt - make one.

RIP TET

original.png

Why not ask her if she has any preferences? I can't personally justify the expense of a mac, but if you can then by all means go ahead, so long as you know that there are definitely 'pc' equivilants.

Yeah, if you bought a gaming computer it should be compatible with power overseas, so long as the voltage is the same and/or it has a voltage switch on the PSU (applies to desktops only). If it is a desktop by the way, don't buy a prebuilt - make one.

It wont be a desktop, it will be something i can take in my carry on!! :)