Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CERN Experiment Indicates Faster-Than-Light neutrinos

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

For all those doubting the results - do you honestly think CERN doesn't test and retest all these results? Wouldn't you think a massive, super-advanced organization like CERN would only report things it was pretty sure of? I agree this will need to be tested by others and proven more conclusively, but I do not doubt the validity of the results too much.

If the aim of these physicists was to bring Einstein's theories crumbling down, then they are going to do everything it takes to do that. The amount of fame, funding, awards, etc that they will now receive as a result will be astounding. Career-wise, they are completely set. It would be a mistake to assume that scientists are not human or incapable of skewing experiments to get what they want. I'm not saying the results are bogus, but there needs to be very extensive testing before we proclaim that Einstein's work is dead because these discoveries can completely change the way that we understand basic laws of nature---including gravity. That is not something to be throwing around lightly.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

i_love_burritos
[ Display Name History ]

i_love_burritos

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,668 posts
they've released the results to try to get physicists to disprove their results, or find some type of consistent error - they're scientists, not quack doctors

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods

For all those doubting the results - do you honestly think CERN doesn't test and retest all these results? Wouldn't you think a massive, super-advanced organization like CERN would only report things it was pretty sure of? I agree this will need to be tested by others and proven more conclusively, but I do not doubt the validity of the results too much.

If the aim of these physicists was to bring Einstein's theories crumbling down, then they are going to do everything it takes to do that. The amount of fame, funding, awards, etc that they will now receive as a result will be astounding. Career-wise, they are completely set. It would be a mistake to assume that scientists are not human or incapable of skewing experiments to get what they want. I'm not saying the results are bogus, but there needs to be very extensive testing before we proclaim that Einstein's work is dead because these discoveries can completely change the way that we understand basic laws of nature---including gravity. That is not something to be throwing around lightly.

You're completely right about the agenda and directive of the scientists, but when it comes down to it, Einstein's model won't be proclaimed 'dead' no matter what happens. We still use Newton's laws as extremely good approximations for lots of macroscopic physics, we just do it knowing that it's not the whole story. Similarly, any paradigm shift as a result of faster-than-light particles won't forget Einstein's work, and we'll still use it as an approximation, but we'd also do it knowing that it's not the whole story.

A common explanation I've heard is that the neutrino may be jumping from space to space a short distance away via another dimension Portal style, so at no point does it actually break the light speed barrier, it just appears to do that to the simple distance/time measurement. If that's true, we'd end up saying that Einstein's model still works, but only in 4-dimensional spacetime, which real space is similar, but not identical, to.

~ W ~

Posted Image

Strawberri
[ Display Name History ]

Strawberri

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
My understanding is that Einstein's theory still holds if we accept the Speed of Light does != C.

jasignhagj
[ Display Name History ]

jasignhagj

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,183 posts
http://www.dvice.com...dy-neutrino.php

To be honest, I don't really understand this, but apparently the extra 60 nanoseconds can be explained.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit
There's another factor that the distance by a GPS's measurements will be larger than the actual distance as the GPS calculates from the circumference, not a direct line.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15791236

Another experiment has confirmed the result.

j0xPu5R.png

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
Yeah, my dad called me a few days ago to tell me that they debunked it. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
How was the original experiment's results debunked if they re-tested it and got the same results?
SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Aeon_
[ Display Name History ]

Aeon_

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,345 posts
  • RSN:Abudino1234
  • RSN2:Man tshirt
That's what I thought. ^

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Yeah, my dad called me a few days ago to tell me that they debunked it. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Both of them?

~ W ~

Posted Image

Distracted
[ Display Name History ]

Distracted

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • RSN:A Real Fool

Source?

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

Source?

He didn't really give me details, but he said that they were calculating the pathway wrong. So what appeared to be slightly faster that the SoL was actually slightly slower than the SoL.

Distracted
[ Display Name History ]

Distracted

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  • RSN:A Real Fool
Well, kinda. I looked up to see if it had been debunked. Seems scientists did some science-y stuff that I don't really understand, and concluded that they only move at the speed of light. But even this conclusion seems to have opponents in the scientific world, so you still can't really consider it the conclusion for this.

Next year, a Japanese and an American group will be doing similar experiments. Wondering how those'll turn out.

Edit: did some more research, came upon a source which explained things more clearly. Basically, this one sentence sums up the counter-argument: "Cohen and I argue that superluminal neutrinos must produce electron - positron pairs. They do not ...Thus, we conclude that the neutrinos are NOT superluminal"

The logic seems a bit flawed on my part, but I'm no Nobel prize winner so what the hell do I know.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit
Here's an article rejecting it from Reuters.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Flyingjj
[ Display Name History ]

Flyingjj

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
  • RSN:flyingjj
The articles posted recently which refute the findings rely not on disproving the measurements themselves, but make an argument that the particles couldn't be traveling faster than light because of such and such law of physics. But, as we should already know, these neutrinos are already supposedly doing something they shouldn't be able to, so why can't they be doing something else they shouldn't be?
Posted Image

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

The articles posted recently which refute the findings rely not on disproving the measurements themselves, but make an argument that the particles couldn't be traveling faster than light because of such and such law of physics. But, as we should already know, these neutrinos are already supposedly doing something they shouldn't be able to, so why can't they be doing something else they shouldn't be?

Exactly. Making arguments why that shouldn't be possible is easy enough(for a good physicist :P) but so far, there's been no explanation of the error, and therefore this hasn't been debunked yet.

I'm also not quite why everyone thinks this will completely overthrow physics and be a headache to everyone...We're still doing a lot of stuff with Newton. If Einstein's theory is proven to be wrong, we'll still use his for most stuff, there just needs to be a new theory developed for the few exceptions. Of course this is huge news for scientiests, but it's not like it would [i]overthrow[\i] a lot of things. Tbh, anyone who thought that Einstein was *correct* and that's it has a bit of a naive view anyway. We'll never know how exactly the world works, and every theory will eventually be replaced with a slightly more accurate one. We're just approximating to the raw truth :P

The Dark Lord
[ Display Name History ]

The Dark Lord

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,517 posts
  • Clan:S.W.A.G.
A physicist would probably rip your head off if you said that in front of them.

I don't know much about this area, but I agree that nothing's proven/disproven until other other experiments are ran elsewhere. Hell, it could be some strange exception to a rule or maybe allow scientists to have evidence of some strange phenomenon, or perhaps this somehow strengthens Einstein's theory. This experiment is not rubbish.
SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

miracleman58
[ Display Name History ]

miracleman58

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  • RSN:The Diamond

My understanding is that Einstein's theory still holds if we accept the Speed of Light does != C.

But the speed of light in constant, It has been measured and cannt be changed.

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

But the speed of light in constant, It has been measured and cannt be changed.

Well, Einstein's Theory of General Relativity says so. Rule one of the scientific process says that there is no such thing as absolute truth, just the best available hypothesis. Still, the, uh, 'constantness' of c has way more evidence behind it than the reliability of two experiments themselves or other bits of the Standard Model. We still haven't fully understood why mass occurs yet, so we were bound to come up with something that "wasn't quite right", the next step is to work out why.

~ W ~

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users