Redemption - A short story

Necromagus

This story is based on a rough draft I wrote a few weeks ago. At first it was about something entirely else, but as I sat down to type it it seemed to fit Richard perfectly, so it became a continuation of my earlier story, Assassin. This story will make a lot more sense if you read it's prologue first :)

I might add other parts randomly, but I'm not making any promises. Also, like Assassin, the style of this story is a bit experimental so I have no idea how it will work out. Try to keep an open mind :)

---

Redemption

She was deadÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ the thought haunted Richard, looming over him like a strange kind of phantom. Dark, invisibleÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ but at the same time undeniably close, threatening to crash down on him when he least expected it. The electric wail of the alarm clock that had been ringing for the past five minutes increased in volume, until it became impossible for him to ignore it. With a long sigh his hand came down on top of it, muting it. The silence was deafening, the phantom closer than ever.

He had to know. Had to know why. Slowly he pulled himself out of bed. The sheets were like sandpaper as they slid over his bare skin. The familiar throb of a hangover was there, but it was dim, muted. It had been there every morning for the past two weeks now, and he was getting used to him. The alcohol kept the phantom away, kept her phantom away, at least for a while.

Amanda they called her. She who must be admired. He had admired her. For days on end he watched her, observing her every move through the scope of one of his many rifles. And then, that one night, she had come alone, and Richard knew the time had come. She knew it too, or at least he thought she knew. Nothing of that night seemed real anymore, but he could still see her as she tore open the curtains of her bedroom window, calling for him.

A wingless angel. Richard knew what she was now. She had come to him every night since then, but never alone. The first time the wingless angel appeared to him she had brought a phantom for him. The phantom was with him, even now. The timer on his radio triggered. He could hear a voice, a menÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s voice, a voice that summed up all major disasters and crises of the past 24 hours with all the emotions of a machine. Richard ignored it. It was irrelevant. They didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t talk about her.

She had come to him again. Amanda and her phantom. WhyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ it was all she wanted to know, and she was asking him. Every night she asked him, and every night he slept less because of it. At first he thought he knew why. It was the money, it always was. She was just another job, and a well paid one at that. But when he saw his bank account with the promised six figures delivered to him he realized that wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t it. For the first time he saw his job for what it really was. He was giving anonymous cowards a comfortable way to deal with their problems. They paid him to make them his problems, and Richard was very good at making his troubles go away. At least, he used to beÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

Amanda had been someoneÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s problem, and now she was his problem, and she wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t go away. Richard was going insane and he knew it. What he didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t know was why. Why was some-one willing to pay so much to see an angel killed. Richard was expensive, but not that expensive. Still, he had allowed himself to become blinded by money. He had killed an angel, and now he had to redeem himself.

But how could he possibly find redemption for killing an angel? He had to know, had to be saved. He had considered finding help from someone more experienced at researching this sort of thing, but they wouldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t understand. Nobody would understand. He was alone, his phantom was his alone, his to deal with.

The coffee helped him clear his thoughts, just barely. He slumped into the chair behind his desk with a pained sigh. He brought his computer to life, squinting against the bright light of the monitor. When he had finally adjusted it showed that he had two new messages. Two new cowards who didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have the strength to deal with their own problems but the money to let others deal with them in their place. He deleted them without bothering to read their contents. He was done, no more. Only redemption mattered now.

He still had the clientÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s messages. They were his only lead. There were pictures of Amanda too, but he couldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t bring himself to look at them. It was painful enough to see her in his dreams. The messages from his client were his only lead, but they seemed to be completely useless. They had been sent from a public library, making it impossible to find out who sent them. The money was useless too. It had been wired in through Switzerland, impossible to trace. Whoever wanted Amanda dead was smart enough to take the necessary steps to remain anonymous.

He considered widening his search. His wingless angel lead a busy life, a life that had left her with plenty of enemies. He had begun listing them, but they were just too many. He considered just killing them all. He was desperate to be freed from his phantom. No. No more killing. Death couldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t bring him redemption. Death was what doomed him in the first place.

But death was all he knew, it was how he made a living. Still, living didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t matter to him now. Redemption did. He was haunted. He couldnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t think of anything else anymore. He needed help. He shut off his computer, leaving him alone to his thoughts. He needed help. After what seemed like hours, he decided to go out and look for it in the only place he could think of.

The cathedral was a vast thing, a decent attempt to replicate a European cousin funded by a wealthy born-again that wished to remain anonymous. Now, standing between the rows of pews, Richard felt small, exposed. For the first time in a long time he was facing the outside world without the comforting weight of a weapon. The saints, whether they were marble or stained glass, all seemed to stare down at him. They knew of his sins. He could feel their eyes boring into him. He didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t belong here. He was a demon. An angelslayer. Still, he was a demon that wanted to redeem himself, wanted to be saved. Trying to ignore the stares of the saint, he walked past the pews, heading for the confessionary. Confession was the first step to redemption, it was something that was hammered into him from the earliest days of his childhood. For the first time, he actually believed it. He let himself sink down on the wooden bench, waiting for the wooden panel to slide open. When it did, it took him several long breaths to gather the courage he needed to begin.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅForgive me father, for I have sinnedÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâæÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

I'm a bit confused, but i like the parts i can understand. Very nicely written...
Read "Assassin" and you will understand. :)

Excellent work, Necro! Am looking forward to the next installment. 8)

Part 2

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅYouÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re deadÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re not realÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâæÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Unlike most of your work, I'm not too impressed with the second chapter. I don't know why, it just didn't intrest me.

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42

• 3 weeks later...
Great story! I love your work. I'll try to write something half as good as yours. Keep writing. :D

Half as good? I'd pay quite a bit of money to be able to do that.

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42

• 2 weeks later...