when I got to view new content it says no new content found

enfield

For clarification, before someone notices and decides that it's worth opening a topic saying it's a bug, View New Content will update every 5-10 minutes with new data. Viewing your own content, or indeed other users content specifically (ie. when you click "Find My Content" rather than using the search function to do it), will update every 24 hours.

Thanks for the additional info. That explains why I had the feeling it was a little slow. :thumbsup:

Since the thought is poking my mind, is it possible to safely set the update for "View My Content" just a little quicker? Maybe 18 hours or 12 hours? Or, if the server can shrug it off, then 6 hours? Just asking, not trying to push. :idea: ;)

~D. V. "The weirdest things cross my brain..." Devnull

I'd agree, for such a useful tool 24 hour updates does seem rather slow!

I mean I know many users use it to keep track of their own posts and ongoing debates etc. Surely it could be substantially faster than 24 hours? I mean if content is being catalogued every 5-10mins anyway for view new content, why can't that same data inform view my content etc.?

Because they're two entirely different processes. Adding new data to VNC just requires a log rotation which takes about a second to execute, updating VMC requires a full reload of all data which takes 5-10 mins and will pretty much lock up the entire forum while running.

Fair enough, though I am still curious:

What has made it so taxing on server power, compared to what it was historically?

Before the server downtime it was definitely faster than 24 hour reloads (maybe 1-2hours) and before the forum software swap it was near instant, so what changed?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Fair enough, though I am still curious:

What has made it so taxing on server power, compared to what it was historically?

Before the server downtime it was definitely faster than 24 hour reloads (maybe 1-2hours) and before the forum software swap it was near instant, so what changed?

Actually this process has been run at the same time every day (3am server time) since we switched to the new forum software so I don't see how it could possibly have been faster before the downtime.

It used to be "quicker" to update in phpBB because it queried the database directly for the data. IPB doesn't do that, we choose to use an engine called Sphinx (Google it) which massively speeds up any searching done on our database, at the cost of "manual" updates to keep Sphinx up to date for when IPB hits it with a query. This should hopefully be better in the next version of IPB where they've completely rewritten how they interface with Sphinx.