The Quest for a Tablet

Saru Inc

Hey guys!

I guess this is the right place to post about my search for a tablet.

I currently am on the lookout for a tablet, particularly for recreational purposes, but I also started my own business from home, and I've seen all my mom can do on hers (she has the Asus Transformer), and I'd love to get my hands on one, this way I can do presentations etc., without having to lug my laptop around -everywhere-. I have also looked into getting an e-reader, such as a nook, since December of last year, but have since held off.

So I started out by reading all the reviews from all the major review sites (Cnet etc) including just fan sites. Practically every single site states the Ipad2 blows the rest out of the water, except for in a few categories like no flash, and crappy web browsing that don't do too well. I really don't care if its a flashy tablet or not, I really want one though that won't slow me down, is smooth and easy to access, and most importantly can handle large loads of work at once. I am stuck however, inbetween the Ipad2, the Asus Transformer, and the Samsung 10.1 tablet (I forget its exact name, to be frank).

Pros and cons:

Ipad 2:

Pros

-Very large screen

-Many apps for the more fun side, I love Itune apps. Not just games of course, but all the other kind. With an Ipad I can download recipe apps and voila, a cookbook basically.

-Very streamline and smooth

-high ratings from critics on various things, lol.

- Kindle, Nook, iBooks

- Itunes music. I have an ipod touch now (3rd gen) but its starting to go frankly. I was going to buy a new one, but I think if I get an ipad, and make this ipod simply a work out ipod, that would work great.

- Lots of available accesories (docks, etc.)

Cons:

-Wifi only.

-Closed in OS. Not as open ended as android

-Expensive

-Can be kind of gimicky, more likely to be stolen type thing

-I don't want to buy this Ipad, just to have the Ipad3 come out in 2 months kind of situation

Android tabs (Asus/Samsung)

Pros:

-Tether capability (my phone -can- tether)

-Open ended OS, more things to do, not as formulaic

-Much much cheaper, in most cases

-Web browsing

-Flash

-Nook/Kindle

Cons:

- I do not like their music apps at all, will divide up my music

- Bad apps in general

- Not as widespread accessories (docks, etc)

- Apps won't be as stable or as useful (from personal experience).

-No iBooks (not that big of a deal obviouslt)

I am a very heavy App user. So the apps are very important to me, and I need them to be... Not crap. Android Market has some really great apps, but a lot of them are just crap. Some people don't want to say that, but they are. I also want to get things to go along with the tablet, such as the cover for the ipad that puts it to sleep when you cover it, and can be doubled as stand, crap like that is important to me. (To be fair the Asus Transformer does have the dock and keyboard). I really do love Itunes for its music, because it has almost every song I've ever wanted, and its selection surpasses amazon and anything android can offer. Since I'm planning on getting a new ipod, this could be the new ipod, I can plug it in everywhere and its good. Of course it can get pretty awkward listening to it in some circumstances I can imagine, it won't make that big of a deal. The main hold up is the price that's preventing me to just jump right on the Ipad train. It's $600. and that's for wifi only, no tethering allowed :(. If the Asus is $400, is that $200 a big difference?

I understand the choice is still mine, and these pro/con lists aren't much to go on, I'm more looking for advice/experience from current tablet owners, or at least those knowledgeable.

----------------------

On a totally different note, but I didn't want to create a new topic solely for this, my ipod is jacked up. It is slowly breaking down more and more and more. (3rd gen) out of nowhere, the back button in the music player no longer works. When I press on it the lighting changes like I pressed on it, but it doesn't go to the menu before it. The only way I can change albums is by holding the ipod sideways and waiting for albums to appear that way. Also the power/sleep button doesn't work, the volume buttons don't work, its incredibly sluggish, (still has 14gb free space), it skips more often than not. Can I safely repair this myself? Anyone know of cool sites that show you how to do that? And if I have to take it in (no warranty), are those places usually a scam? I definitely do not want to pay more than $60, $80 max.

Thanks for you time!

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Android market does have a lot of good apps and a lot of crap ones, but this is NO different to the apple app store. It is utterly bias and bs to list this as a con of one os over the other, as it is true of both.

As for ibooks, yes android don't have it, but they do have Kindle and tbf kindle is far better than ibooks; more books available and mostly cheaper in my experience.

Also in no way shape or form would I consider a tablet as an ipod replacement, a music device that fits in your pocket is not the same as a fairly large item like a tablet. By all means use a tablet for music when its with you if you must, but certainly don't take it out for just music. Also the itunes debate is kinda null point: itunes on home computer, problem solved. Then you can sync it with an ipad or copy music files onto the android system for their music player to use; no dividing library or w/e necessary.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

As the apps, I really don't see the Android providing much good in this category at all, so it will stay a con.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

What "category"? You haven't defined a category. Android has good apps for just about everything, in fact MOST of the current good apple apps originated on android or have developed perfectly good android versions.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Pros:

-Tether capability (my phone -can- tether) Can be done on the iPad too.

-Web browsing Can be done on the iPad too.

-Flash

-Nook/Kindle Can be done on the iPad too.

Cons:

-Wifi only. There's a 3G version

-Expensive

-Can be kind of gimicky, more likely to be stolen type thing Only if you're an idiot with it reallly, and it can be covered by insurance.

-I don't want to buy this Ipad, just to have the Ipad3 come out in 2 months kind of situation Mac rumour sites suspect that it'll be out around March 2012. Even so the iPad2 is a great little device that should last a while.

Ask yourself if you're going to be messing around with custom roms and whether you have the money to spend. To me it looks like an iPad would be better suited to your needs as there are some things, like the music app, that will only worsen your experience of the product if you don't like it to begin with.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Asus just came out with a quad core tablet, so if you want performance you'd probably be good to go with it. Also, Apple is closed and overpriced, which means I personally wouldn't even consider an Ipad.

What "category"? You haven't defined a category. Android has good apps for just about everything, in fact MOST of the current good apple apps originated on android or have developed perfectly good android versions.

Its really just across the board. You seem to prefer the android to the apple, and so its really just a battle of opinions. In my experience, most of the apps from productivity, to 'shopping', to... eh its really just apps across the board. I'm not saying there aren't really great apps on the market, I've used them myself and agree they are better than apple. I just think in general, apple has a better selection as well as quality.

Pros:

-Tether capability (my phone -can- tether) Can be done on the iPad too.

-Web browsing Can be done on the iPad too.

-Flash

-Nook/Kindle Can be done on the iPad too.

Cons:

-Wifi only. There's a 3G version

-Expensive

-Can be kind of gimicky, more likely to be stolen type thing Only if you're an idiot with it reallly, and it can be covered by insurance.

-I don't want to buy this Ipad, just to have the Ipad3 come out in 2 months kind of situation Mac rumour sites suspect that it'll be out around March 2012. Even so the iPad2 is a great little device that should last a while.

Ask yourself if you're going to be messing around with custom roms and whether you have the money to spend. To me it looks like an iPad would be better suited to your needs as there are some things, like the music app, that will only worsen your experience of the product if you don't like it to begin with.

but can I tether an ipad with my android phone? And I'm not getting the 3g version of the ipad because its a lot more money, as well as a monthly service contract. I am aware the nook/kindle are just apps that can be on all of them. Heh. Honestly I won't really be messing around with custom roms and the like, or messing with my tablet's core designs, I just like... the ability to if I wanted to/found a good reason to.

Asus just came out with a quad core tablet, so if you want performance you'd probably be good to go with it. Also, Apple is closed and overpriced, which means I personally wouldn't even consider an Ipad.

I would agree overpriced, and thats what I mean by gimmicky. However I did spend the night reading up on rumors of the ipad3, and obviously being rumors most probably aren't true... But if the Ipad3 -can- have the A6 chip, retina display and a better camera? Then I'm waiting until March. Also, if it turns out the ipad 3 isn't that revolutionary, then I can get the Ipad2, which should have just fallen a bunch in price.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate all responses.

I have ipod touch and android phone.

Android took the leading market share for a reason, plus its app market has more on it than apples, so more variety on apples is bs.

And as I said before all the GOOD apps appear on both apple and android, so apple has no edge there either.

You just seem very anti-android and determine to find a reason for it, beyond the fact you just like apple's shiny over-priced stuff.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I have ipod touch and android phone.

Android took the leading market share for a reason, plus its app market has more on it than apples, so more variety on apples is bs.

And as I said before all the GOOD apps appear on both apple and android, so apple has no edge there either.

You just seem very anti-android and determine to find a reason for it, beyond the fact you just like apple's shiny over-priced stuff.

What the [bleep]?

What are you getting upset about? I said I wanted one thing, and now you're pulling all this crap? What the hell, man? I don't appreciate any of the insinuations you include in your posts, and since I was merely asking for advice, I'm going to ask you to stop replying to this topic. I've tried both markets, and infact, have had android -longer- than I've had apple itunes (I've had android phones since the G1) and even passed up an iphone 3gs for the samsung galaxy S. I simply believe apple holds the reins on the store. Why are you so invested what I like? Are you one of those "omg oppose the masses" type people? The whole anti-apple and the establishment? By implying I'm with apple simply because of the flashiness is asinine at best.

Seriously, take a chill pill.

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out you seem determined to find a flaw with android so that you can buy the apple product.

Nout wrong with that, but may as well just be honest with yourself and say you want the apple one rather than trying to invent flaws of android (eg less diverse apps, despite its apps tore having more than apple; not as good apps despite all the good apps having android and apple versions etc.)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The fact that manufacturers have no incentive to allow you to upgrade your device to the latest OS throws me off Android. Apple at least allows you to upgrade to the latest OS up to the point where the hardware becomes incompatible. Granted there have been cases such as MMS for the iPhone 2G, but those are relatively small examples.

You see Android tablets being sold with 2.2 and won't ever see any update. IMO, that alone is enough to put me off.

If you don't need the latest iPad, you can pick up the older model (32GB and with 3G capabilities) for $399.

For those more visually inclined:

016a_android_orphans.png

You see Android tablets being sold with 2.2 and won't ever see any update. IMO, that alone is enough to put me off.

I don't think that's true, for example my phone I bought last week came with Android 2.2 and was upgraded to 2.3 in front of my eyes. I don't think there's a difference with tablets, which means I don't think it's true when you say that it will never see an upgrade.

I'm not upset, I'm just pointing out you seem determined to find a flaw with android so that you can buy the apple product.

Nout wrong with that, but may as well just be honest with yourself and say you want the apple one rather than trying to invent flaws of android (eg less diverse apps, despite its apps tore having more than apple; not as good apps despite all the good apps having android and apple versions etc.)

Ok but here's the thing, I think you missed the part where I said there's a lot about the ipad I actually don't like, enough for me to go for the Asus transformer in the end. The only part I'm being adamant and firm on is the app store. The app store, and as Tritium/Sbrideau stated, but I didn't think of at the time, the constant updates are what makes Apple really shine.

The fact that manufacturers have no incentive to allow you to upgrade your device to the latest OS throws me off Android. Apple at least allows you to upgrade to the latest OS up to the point where the hardware becomes incompatible. Granted there have been cases such as MMS for the iPhone 2G, but those are relatively small examples.

If you don't need the latest iPad, you can pick up the older model (32GB and with 3G capabilities) for $399.

For those more visually inclined:

016a_android_orphans.png

Great point, I hadn't thought about that.

I don't think that's true, for example my phone I bought last week came with Android 2.2 and was upgraded to 2.3 in front of my eyes. I don't think there's a difference with tablets, which means I don't think it's true when you say that it will never see an upgrade.

I've had android devices for the past few years, and he's right, the updates don't really come that often, at least in my experience.

--------

Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided what I'll do instead is wait for April 2012. The Ipad 3 is probably going to come out in March, so I will be able to see what good that brings, and if its worth it. It will also be more time for me to scope out any other tablets that might be coming out a month or so after Ipad,which might be way greater. the best thing though, is I can make a fund right now and start saving for a tablet so I can get it right off the bat.

It's inherently true. Manufacturers have absolutely no incentive to let you upgrade your device's software. And when they do, it's usually so delayed that it's hardly worth it. Most Android devices will never see the latest OS upgrade.

I'm all for unlocked, untethered devices, but IMO it's hardly worth it given the tradeoff. I'd either get the iPad or find an HP Touchpad for cheap somewhere.

I really do love Itunes for its music, because it has almost every song I've ever wanted, and its selection surpasses amazon and anything android can offer.

Just a quick point about this, Apple puts DRM on their downloads, which is something you should definitely consider when buying from them more - if you ever decide to leave Apple then that may become a pain. It's not nice practice to stick DRM on music at all, either.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I really do love Itunes for its music, because it has almost every song I've ever wanted, and its selection surpasses amazon and anything android can offer.

Just a quick point about this, Apple puts DRM on their downloads, which is something you should definitely consider when buying from them more - if you ever decide to leave Apple then that may become a pain. It's not nice practice to stick DRM on music at all, either.

False. iTunes hasn't had DRM on music for a years.

False. iTunes hasn't had DRM on music for a years.

Ah, I was under the impression they were, it wouldn't be surprising.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

This might help a little. :)

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.