USB ports keep randomly stop working

Skully

About a week or so ago I reformatted my PC to get rid of all the old garbage and just kept my music, movies and pics. Now something strange is happening every so often while i'm just generally using my PC, all my USB ports will randomly stop working. I'll get disconnected from the internet as my USB reciever will cut out, and my music stops as my speakers are powered by USB. I then have to restart my whole computer just to get them to work again. This has caused me to be unable to use my iPod as it happened while it was instaling a software update and I now have to reset it to default and install the update again which takes so long my USBs cut out mid-process.

I'm not sure what other info would be of use, so please tell me if anything else is needed to help fix this problem ASAP.

Thanks.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

I hope you have a backup of your old system state(s) prior to the reformat. It sounds much to me like you junked a special USB port driver set that you had in there before, and you'll need it back to stabilize your USB stuff. :(

~D. V. "Sounds like the wrong driver to me...?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Well to be honest i'm not really that good with that side of computers, I just stuck a Windows 7 disc in from my friend and did it. :blink: Surely if I didn't have the correct driver they wouldn't work at all though? How can I find out what I need and where to get it?

Go:

-Control panel

-Click the view by large icons in the top right

-Choose device manager

-Open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Print screen what you have on your screen and upload it.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

Well I as hoping there would be a big yellow exclamation mark telling which of them were broken. But you'll have to go through each one, right clicking and selecting "Update Driver Software..." and select the search automatically option.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

Well I as hoping there would be a big yellow exclamation mark telling which of them were broken. But you'll have to go through each one, right clicking and selecting "Update Driver Software..." and select the search automatically option.

Or go to the motherboard's manufacturers page and download the latest.

Surely if I didn't have the correct driver they wouldn't work at all though? How can I find out what I need and where to get it?

Windows comes with generic drivers for USB, GPU, etc. But they aren't always the best or most up to date ones, that's why the ports work, but it's best to update the drivers.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Either open the case, it'll be written on it somewhere or download CPU-Z and click on the mainboard tab.

2d26mw.gif

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

I just unistalled, went to the link I gave you and reinstalled and got no Babylon thing, the only "extras" was an Ask toolbar. Not sure what you downloaded :blink:

Try it again, "]this is the direct download link.

Otherwise you can reboot into bios and it'll be listed there.

Edit. The model number will be listed underneath if you give it another go.

2d26mw.gif

Is it a prebuilt computer? I believe it is because you named a brand, so if you could just get me the model (often written on the front of the case) I can get you the chipset driver, which should fix your issue.

I recently reinstalled Windows on my new laptop, and prior to installing the drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's website, the USB 3.0 port was doing the same. It's just crappy windows default driver acting up in your case.

Yeah it was prebuilt, it's since had a new graphics card put in though. Well I did look on the Packard Bell site and couldn't find my computer model name under the iMedia section, but it's called an iMedia x2416.

Thanks for helping me out. :thumbup:

I've noticed it always happens when my internet disconnects but my mouse and keyboard which are USB still work, yet my speakers stop. Do you think a faulty USB reciever could be causing this? Mine is a bit beat up.