Tribes: Ascend - free-to-play multiplayer FPS

Azvareth

P6H6r.jpg

Tribes: Ascend is an upcoming free to play multiplayer-only first-person shooter part of the Tribes franchise. It is currently being developed by Hi-Rez Studios and was announced on March 11, 2011 at PAX East with an expected release early next year. It features jetpacks, skiing, vehicles, and fast-paced, competitive online play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RjdB4_rkqU&feature=player_embedded

For those who aren't familiar with the Tribes franchise, basically take a look at this gentleman's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HCnrU3FT8

It's a bit outdated, and as such the game has gone through quite a bit of changes since the video was posted (most notably, the skiing mechanics have been improved, you can reduce the weapon model sizes and thankfully hitscan's removed) but gives a good overall picture of what the game's all about.

As a bit of a Tribes veteran I'm quite excited about this game. I've been part of the closed beta for almost a month, and I'm still playing, soo. It's a lot of fun.

To get a beta key, all you need to do is like their Facebook page. So it's not really very closed. Download the client at https://account.hire...m/tribesascend/. So do that if you would like to play an FPS game that's actually challenging and not just point-at-enemy-and-click. Also feel free to add me to the friend's list thing, my nick's Hitch.

For further information, basically check out TotalBiscuit's video above.

Screenshots

[hide]

mmmGY.jpg

vcGhN.jpg

9Wxf7.jpg

67rpM.jpg

BQeQ5.jpg

vghQ4.jpg

aNq8o.jpg

bqjon.jpg

a3doU.jpg

H9hxG.jpg

[/hide]

2009rb9.jpg

Free to play, pay to win.

Not really. They need to make money somehow. Granted, it takes quite a while to unlock all the classes without paying, but it is entirely possible to play the game as much as you want, unlock all the classes and perks, without paying a cent. And I mean, the Ranger class unlocks after just one match, and it is one of my most-played classes - so this idea some people have that the classes which cost a lot of tokens somehow are better is pretty false.

Plus Hi-Rez have been extremely accomodating to player feedback (removing hitscan, fixing a ton of balance issues, and actually reducing the cost of all classes, etc etc.) so it's not like they just sit on their pile of money and twiddle their thumbs.

2009rb9.jpg

I got interested in the Tribes franchise when InstantAction bought it (only to sell it back later when they went bankrupt). I played Fallen Empire: Legions (it's called Legions: Overdrive now) a bit and like it. When this comes out of beta I'll take a look and see how much Legions was really inspired by Tribes.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of other Quake players have been playing this - once I get myself some decent net in about a month I'll give it a go.

Good to see new fast paced fps games.

Doomy edit: I like sheep

Might have a roll. How similar is it to TF2?

Apart from being class and team-based FPS shooters, not very much. I would check out the "WTF is..." video, gives a good idea of what kind of a game it is.

2009rb9.jpg

Apart from being class and team-based FPS shooters, not very much. I would check out the "WTF is..." video, gives a good idea of what kind of a game it is.

I downloaded it and steamrolled everyone in my server. For the game I played I got about 20 kills while they were all at around 5-10 kills.

lampost_sig_stark.png

I downloaded it and steamrolled everyone in my server. For the game I played I got about 20 kills while they were all at around 5-10 kills.

I would also say kills matter a lot less than in TF2. It's a lot more fast-paced and stuff.

That midair flagpass in the video was awesome as hell, Azv. Same with the vehicle kill. My attempts at Shrike flying generally end that way, only with me dead instead of anythingelse.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I would also say kills matter a lot less than in TF2. It's a lot more fast-paced and stuff.

That midair flagpass in the video was awesome as hell, Azv. Same with the vehicle kill. My attempts at Shrike flying generally end that way, only with me dead instead of anythingelse.

Yeah, kills have never really meant much in the Tribes games. A tech who's just helped maintain the base but has no kills can end up with more points than a Ranger who's fragged pubbies the entire round. Similarly in Team Deathmatch, someone who's been excellent at only skiing around with the flag without getting killed will end up with more points than someone who's got 20+ kills. And that is how a team-based FPS should work. Means you can actually play on a public server and not go crazy, because there is an actual incentive for people to play useful roles in their teams.

And yeah, Shrike flying is quite difficult right now. I was a capable flier in Tribes 2, but in T:A the handling is a lot more tricky. Hi-Rez has said they're gonna focus on balancing the vehicles in later patches though.

That's why people like this do my damn head in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrLaS1enkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAnvjSNp8q4

The shrike capping parts may look easy, but it's extremely difficult to time it right and then to actually maintain that speed as well.

edit: also I saw a couple of mid-air flagpasses in a live tournament the other day. So yeah, people actually do that in the game and it is glorious.

2009rb9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLlQbSELL2g

Another really cool video, lots of blue plate action as well as mid-air flagpasses and rad background music to boot.

Also for those interested, HiRez is releasing a monster of a patch later today that has some pretty drastic changes, 98% of which are for the better. Completely removing the fixed loadout for once, which will allow for much more customization á la Tribes 2. Also no more skill trees. And a lot more.

Basically they're actually listening to player feedback.

2009rb9.jpg

Thank god for the patch. I'm really enjoying the game, especially after the patch. I can actually unlock classes also.

Bella Omega looks better now, but plays worse I think.

I dunno, I quite like the new version of Bella Omega. Getting rid of the floating flagstand as well as the sensor at the top of the tower was a smart move, I think. But then again, I mostly play defense now so I can only speak for that part.

Some classes are seriously overpowered now though. Giving the Tech a thumper for example is quite ridiculous. At least decrease the damage on that thing.

Also, the Phase Rifle according to Hirez, works as intended, and no changes are planned. Somehow I doubt that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gzp0GGG09M

2009rb9.jpg

VGS

This game is really fun. It's been a major time consumer for me in the past few days.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuNy9v16uYE

Best fan video I've seen so far. Really excellent editing.

Also, there's apparently a big EU vs NA Tribes match in about 30 mins (if my timezone-maths is correct). HirezBart is commenting etc. http://www.reddit.co...rth_america_vs_

Why they decided to post the info on Reddit beats me.

2009rb9.jpg

I don't particularly care for wubshit, but that was a pretty cool video.

Which classes do you guys prefer? I find my self going for Pathfinder usually, but sometimes I'll use Juggernaut.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

In CTF games I'm one of those [wagon] who play tech. I started playing it because nobody would ever repair our generator/turrets/sensor, and then I kinda started liking it. I usually tend to play defense/support roles in other team-based games anyway. Plus I'm kinda rockin with the SMG + grenade combo and I'm quite the master at hiding turrets where they're hard to spot.

In TDM matches I always play pathfinder though.

2009rb9.jpg

welp there goes my weekend

tl;dr Tribes: Ascend will launch into open beta February 24. A patch will follow with the following:

• New gametype, Arena Deathmatch, with two initial maps
  • New Capture The Flag map, Temple Ruins
  • New Team Deathmatch map, Inferno
  • Two new unlockable items for the Soldier class: Proximity Grenade and Utility Pack
  • New default suits for Doombringer and Brute
  • Ability to view either Blood Eagle or Diamond Sword skins from Class menu
  • Service supporting Name Change
  • Large number of bug-fixes and balance adjustments

VGCA VGCA VGCA VGCA

2009rb9.jpg

• 3 months later...

So T:A was released like two months ago, kinda curious if anybody else is playing this at the moment?

Obviously I never stopped.

2009rb9.jpg

Turns out my laptop can't handle it (according to systemreqslab at least) which is a shame. Haven't played a good shooter in ages. D3 keeps me busy though.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.