Fixing the Squeal

Alg

An idea for things to replace experience lamps on the Squeal of Fortune that was mildly popular with a handful of Pmods on the RSOF. The logic behind it was that buying minigame tokens and cosmetic items is probably better than just buying experience, especially since Jagex is unlikely to remove it at this point.

Common:

• 2 Castle Wars tickets
  • 500 RC guild tickets
  • 100 FoG tokens
  • Voucher for 500 loyalty points

Uncommon:

• 10 Castle Wars tickets
  • 1000 RC Guild tickets
  • 200 FoG tickets / a piece of equipment from the rewards
  • Voucher for 1500 Loyalty points / Loyalty outfit

Rare:

• Flash Powder factory points
  • 5000 RC Guild tokens
  • 100k Tokkul
  • Gold key (For shade burning)
  • Tier 1-2 auras/eye effects

Jackpot:

• Necromancer/Master Runecrafter/Black Ibis pieces
  • Tier 3-4 auras, expensive emotes, etc
  • Game card items
  • Huge lamps

With other, similar items sprinkled around. Maybe even items that offer bonus experience in certain skills for a short period (Like the clan rings do), with ones from higher reward tiers lasting longer or giving more experience.

The rare+ rewards are much better for a reason... Unless the odds change, you're very unlikely to win any of them :razz:

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, but Jagex would lose a lot of revenue.

You're talking short-term. Ever considered the further implications of quitting players who quite rightly find that the update undermines legitimate gameplay (i.e. gameplay that requires effort)?

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree that I like your idea here more than having xp options on the SoF. Someone posted on the RSOF about buying 99 using the wheel. It cost him $1200. Granted, in retrospect, he regrets his decision, but it only shows people are willing and therefore hard to get Jagex to change their minds.

alazsig.png

I wouldnt say remove the lamps, but make them give much less exp.

Think like:

Small lamp = random event lamp

Med lamp = Book of knowledge (random event book, 1.5x the exp)

Large lamp = 5x random event lamp

Huge lamp = Jack of trades lamp

Yeah the only problem is that players can buy them. The actual spins are a fairly nice daily.

Reducing the xp from them just means that those willing to throw money at the game have to throw more money for the same effect.

Let's not kid ourselves though, jagex have quite literally created a money printer, they're not taking that away.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Yeah the only problem is that players can buy them. The actual spins are a fairly nice daily.

Reducing the xp from them just means that those willing to throw money at the game have to throw more money for the same effect.

Let's not kid ourselves though, jagex have quite literally created a money printer, they're not taking that away.

Which is why I wrote this list. I'm of the opinion that the Squeal would work better if the rewards were useful, but not so much that you don't need to actually play the game. Something like those gloves from Fist of Guthix provide an experience bonus, but players still have to train the skill to get it (Though Runespan has invalidated that example).

Now that I think about it, something like brawling gloves could be more interesting than lamps as well. Longer lasting/more effective ones could be rarer rewards. If they ever bring in an actual microtransaction shop instead of this silly attempt at one (Though I really hope they don't), that's the kind of thing that they could put in it and have it still be sort of fair.

Which is why I wrote this list. I'm of the opinion that the Squeal would work better if the rewards were useful, but not so much that you don't need to actually play the game. Something like those gloves from Fist of Guthix provide an experience bonus, but players still have to train the skill to get it (Though Runespan has invalidated that example).

Now that I think about it, something like brawling gloves could be more interesting than lamps as well. Longer lasting/more effective ones could be rarer rewards. If they ever bring in an actual microtransaction shop instead of this silly attempt at one (Though I really hope they don't), that's the kind of thing that they could put in it and have it still be sort of fair.

A lot of games just give a multiplier to your overall xp for a certain period of time, and i agree that while awful, it's the best of a bad situation.

Again I'll state that the current rewards don't need to be nerfed, (Unless you think free ~5kxp/day average is bad) the only downside is that some players choose to buy several 100.

CNqWHdA.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I made a rant stating that getting exp is now too easy. And you know what, the fact that people can just buy the spins and get those lamps proves my point.

But I cheat in other games (not RS) so it was hypocritical to say that.

Yeah, Jagex isn't gonna remove this feature, let's face it they mostly care about money, and people buying those spins gives them money.

But I'm not gonna waste my money on more spins, because I get limited amount of money from my job, so I need to be careful.