Thinking about trading up.

Noxx

Alright so as you can see from my sig, i've got 20 Defense and 52 Prayer.

I've been PKing a lot lately, and i'm having a great time. The only problem is, when i created this account i had hopes of doing Hybrid fights. Little did i know that at 80 - 90 Combat, that's pretty much dead.

I've really only been doing Ranged fights because that's the only Combat style i can really use, with my Str being so low.

So i've been thinking about something for the past while now, and that's getting Turmoil. I'm doing this mainly to gain a few easy/fast Combat levels. The way i calculated it, i will be at more or less 91 or 92 Combat after getting 95 Prayer, 95 Str and ~95 HP.

Now the quest's i need to do in order to get Turmoil will put me at about 30 Def (so i've heard, i have not checked this myself) which would then push me up to 93 or 94 Combat.

Now, what i'm thinking about is whether or not i should just go ahead and get 40 Def? My aim is to keep my Combat under 100. Meaning the highest i ever want it to go is 99 (for personal reasons). I have no real interest in getting 45 Def for a Zerker since there's not much more benefit than 40 Def.

But 40 Def over 30 Def seems to have quite a few Pro's and very few cons. For example Rune gives a lot better defense over Addy (maybe not a lot, but it's noticeable), Rune Boots and Rune Defender, etc. which will have a lot of benefits when it comes to PvM as well.

But my real concern, since it's not really something i know much about, is how does 30 Def compare to 40 Def when it comes to PvP?

Is the 3 combat levels gained worth the items you'll be able to use?

Another reason i was considering 40 Def over 30 was for Vengeance. It's pretty much a must have in most PvP Melee fights, and even Ranged fights, when your combat is anywhere from 80+ (assuming you're a tank at lower levels).

So, anyone with some knowledge on this mind helping me out a bit?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that i don't know if it's really worth getting Attack higher than 60. I've been doing some looking around and it seems that, for the most part, D Scimi does alright in most ~95 Combat Hybrid/Melee fights. And most of the Melee damage done really comes from the Spec.

Am i correct in assuming this?

Vengeance alone makes the 2-3 combat levels well worth it for 40 defense. The dhide/rune/mystic are just the icing on the cake.

60 attack is great. Low level pking is all about special attacks for the KO power, and the 3 best, dds/gmaul/claws all happen to be under 60 attack. Scimmy has the advantage of not being threatening enough for your enemy to safe on, unlike rapier for example, which just makes switching to a special and killing them easier. If you want to increase combat level i do recommend getting attack before defense, though, increased accuracy and relatively low defense makes veng combos a lot more reliable.

The main reason people get 45 defense isn't for the berserker helm, but the shadow silk hood. If you use chaotics or do a lot of high risk hybridding (arcane streams) then it's very useful to have a hood... But sacrificing your convenience outside of the wilderness for the optimal build inside the wilderness is what a pure is all about, so it seems quite backwards to do the opposite in this case. If you're a real high risker, you'll probably be leeching dung anyway.

CNqWHdA.jpg

60 attack 40 def accounts are awesome. 40 def is definitely way better for hybridding because of rune defenders/boots and barrows gloves. Those are a massive steup up from rune gloves and worth getting 40 defence for. You're also less likely to get koed in rune armour and 40 def, dds hits through addy and 30 def way too easily.

You should be magic/ranged hybrid with that strength level, polypore/barrage/some ranged weapon.

Zerkers are 45 def mostly because of vengeance & void afaik. Not because of berserker helmets, that's just a rounding issue, 42 def works as well.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Well one reason i haven't gotten my Str up yet is because it's so damn slow to train relative to Mage/Ranged, but i'm going to work on it before i even consider taking a Melee weapon into the Wilderness. That's another thing that makes Turmoil seem so attractive. It's going to be a huge step up from just using Extremes without any prayers.

The Kiln will also become a lot easier. Less prestigious, but i can live with that.

I don't really think i plan on doing much Dungeoneering on this account, not any time soon anyway. And if i really need to chances are i'll just buy floors.

So it sounds like 40 Def is what i should be thinking about then.

Thanks for the swift replies.

If you take a pair of d claws to troll invasion, you can abuse the potion there and just train strength through claw specs, last I heard it still works.

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

If you take a pair of d claws to troll invasion, you can abuse the potion there and just train strength through claw specs, last I heard it still works.

I tried that actually, and i was surprised at how bad it was (at least with my current levels). Gained hardly 60k Str exp/h.

The only problem is, when i created this account i had hopes of doing Hybrid fights. Little did i know that at 80 - 90 Combat, that's pretty much dead.

My aim is to keep my Combat under 100. Meaning the highest i ever want it to go is 99 (for personal reasons).

Perhaps no one else will tell you this, but hybrid fights are pretty much dead at all combat levels.

The only problem is, when i created this account i had hopes of doing Hybrid fights. Little did i know that at 80 - 90 Combat, that's pretty much dead.

My aim is to keep my Combat under 100. Meaning the highest i ever want it to go is 99 (for personal reasons).

Perhaps no one else will tell you this, but hybrid fights are pretty much dead at all combat levels.

Yeah i realise this as well, which is why i am getting Melee up too. There's always one or two people around hybridding, so i'll be able to find a fight now and then inbetween normal pvp.