Guide to Frost Dragons - No Soul Split/Unicorn

The_Kuniva

Frost Dragons Guthans Guide.

Im making this guide for people who want to hunt frost dragons that have low prayer/summoning levels and as such cant use superior healing methods such as Soul Split or Unicorn familiar

Reccomended Levels:

-- High Melee Stats (the Higher the better :) )

-- 85 Herblore (Super Antifire)

-- 67 Summoning (Tortoise)

-- 40 Prayer (Protect from Missiles, higher is obviously better)

-- 85 Dungeoneering

Below is the recommended setup:

setup.png

Head: Guthans Helm

Neck: Fury > Glory

Cape: Soul Wars > Best available cape with +Prayer

Weapon: Rapier > CLS > Korasai Sword > Zam Spear

Off Hand: Dragon Defender > DFS > Anti Fire

Chest: Guthans Plate

Legs: Guthans Chain Skirt

Feet: Steadfast Boots > Dragon Boots

Gloves: Goliath Gloves > RFD 10

Ring: Archer's ring (i) > Onyx ring (i) > Ring of Wealth > Ring of life

Aura: Reverence (highest Avail)

Inventory:

2-3 Overloads or1 Extreme/Super Attack and Strength

2 Prayer Renewals

2-3 (Super) Prayer restores (more if using Piety)

2-3 Super Anti Fire (regular antifire wont work since Guthans spear is 2 handed)

2-3 Rocktail/Sharks etc (As emergency food)

Best Beast of Burdon pouch you can use

(Elite) Enhanced Excalibur

Guthans Spear

Getting there:

In case youve only just levelled 85 Dungeoneering and need to find your way to the dragons lair

Quickest: Fairy Ring tele to Mud Skipper Point (ALQ) and run up to the ice Dungeon

Others: Teleport to Rimmington House portal or use explorers ring (cabbage port) and run down

getthere.png

indung.png

Fighting Them:

Now for the fun part :) frost dragons, like all dragons are weakest to Stab attacks, as such you should ensure your weapon is set to stab.

Frost Dragons hit with all 3 Attack styles as well as dragon fire, however will only use either Magic or Range for the entire fight (i.e the same dragon wont use both magic and range)

Before Attacking the dragon, ensure you have taken a sip of your anti fire potion and turn on protect from Magic. The reason for this is the frost dragons magic attack is much more accurate than their ranged attack, this is especially the case due to Guthans high ranged defence and negative magic defence bonuses. Watch the dragons attacks; if it attacks with magic, you will see a blue spell like a water bolt.. Range looks like an ice arrow (easy to spot the difference). If it attacks with ranged you can switch to protect from missiles, however remember to switch back to protect from magic before the next dragon.

During the fight the dragon will also summon a blue ball of light that spins around it, when this happens quickly stop attacking and step out of melee range. Any damage that you would have done while the orb is active will reflect 100% back to you.

During the fight if your health gets down to ~50-60% then its time to heal. Due to the unreliable nature of Guthans special effect, its not advisable to let your HP get any lower. Simply switch weapons to Guthans Spear and ensure it is on Stab style and let yourself heal up.

Hint: if using a chaotic rapier, the accurate (attack xp) style is in the same spot as the stab style on Guthans Spear, allowing you to switch weapons without having to change attack style.

Once your inventory is getting close to full summon your Beast of Burdon and load it up with Frost Dragon Bones (note you can individually store bones by using them on your familiar, even while in combat).

Other than Charms and the very occasional Effigy or Visage drop, most of the frost dragons drops arent worth picking up as they arent worth as much as the bones, its up to you if you want to pick up any of the noted drops however in most cases youd need to get several drops to exceed the value of a bone.

Have fun making heaps of money / Gaining those prayer levels :)

half_dead.png

If you don't have a unicorn/soul split wouldn't you benefit greater from bringing your BoB full of food and wearing the best gear you can rather than wasting time with guthans?

Extremely detailed guide for lower-level players which is commendable, don't get me wrong! I'm just confused :P

hzvjpwS.gif

Just a few comments.. You should use piety all the time, no exception. Cannon is also a great idea.

And, I'm not sure if it's a typo, but you have archer (i) as the best ring.

The methodology is pretty sound; nice mini guide here. :thumbup:

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475