Age Reversal

impalasforpeace

Also I dont watch Torchwood, not yet anyway. they barely previewed it in Aus an odd 5 years ago and I've only just gotten around to finishing Doctor Who season 6.

Popoto.~<3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of illnesses out there, horrible, horrible illnesses, which aren't necessarily caused by old age, but the prognosis gets worse as people grow older. Simply reversing the aging process wouldn't cure people of those diseases, it would just extend their suffering.

Imagine suffering a stroke, losing half your body permanently, and then reversing in age so you live much longer than you otherwise would, and all that time the body is getting weaker and weaker as a result of subsequent TIAs/further strokes... I personally wouldn't find any point in that. I'd rather focus on ensuring that person can live a fulfilling and independent life, so far as that's possible, until they die a natural death, than dragging it out for no good reason.

I always wondered that. I can't remember the name of it, there's a disease that basically turns your mind into a vegetable until you forget how to even breathe. Makes me worried since my great grandad died from it before I was born but in the event it happens to someone, at a certain point in the disease are you able to ask to be put to sleep? I couldnt bare the thought of losing my mind literally like that over the years until I die from braindead.

Popoto.~<3

You cannot currently request to be euphanised under any circumstances, if that's what you meant, although this is constantly being challenged in courts and public opinion on both sides of the issue are strong. You can ask not to be resuscitated, however, athough HCPs still have to attempt everything else as usual to prevent fibrillation/braindeath in the first place, and if the patient refuses even that treatment without understanding the consequences, they can be deemed under the Mental Health Act to be causing serious neglect to themselves and detained anyway. So, yeah, frankly speaking: the options available for heavily disabled people to end their life are extremely limited, and I'm assuming that's pretty much the same in all English-speaking countries.

I have to admit, I work every day with people who suffer dementia, and the usual mental health problems which are associated with dementia, and the idea of artificially extending their life so they literally can't die makes me deeply uneasy. I understand we should always attempt to extend life expectancy, but not if that means unnecessary suffering as well. There has to be a consideration for quality of life, not just life itself.

What's your point? 'Oh, it is an ASSUMPTION.' 'You're making an ASSUMPTION.' 'You're ASSUMING that a god doesn't exist.' 'That's an ASSUMPTION.' Is there anything you're trying to imply here? Anything specific? If it's an assumption, what's wrong with it? Is it necessarily evil? Do you know what an 'assumption' is, without going into a dictionary to get the definition?

It probably has something to do with your name being "assume nothing" but you assume things all the time, lol.

What's your point? 'Oh, it is an ASSUMPTION.' 'You're making an ASSUMPTION.' 'You're ASSUMING that a god doesn't exist.' 'That's an ASSUMPTION.' Is there anything you're trying to imply here? Anything specific? If it's an assumption, what's wrong with it? Is it necessarily evil? Do you know what an 'assumption' is, without going into a dictionary to get the definition?

It probably has something to do with your name being "assume nothing" but you assume things all the time, lol.

No no no he just infers, it's different :rolleyes:

Anyway...I do think that the future of science lies in microbiology, and wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of thing becoming commonplace at some point (disregarding whether or not that's actually a good thing).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I don't appreciate your snark - neither now, nor ever. What do you think the rolling eyes smiley face will achieve? Is there a point to it? No, because your intent is to provoke a reaction, evident by your use of language.

There's a thing called 'colloquial interpretation', and understanding a distinction between assumptions and inferences. Assumptions have very little backing, for they are unsupported reasons - whereas inferences are drawn from converging points. It's a nuance that could (and often would) be lost by your deliberate misuse of language through conflation. That's my contention.