I need to run Win95 games on Win7

Hawks

I have a bunch of older games I'd really like to be able to play on my laptop. They are [mostly] designed for windows 95/98 and thusly may or may not work properly in windows 7. Additionally I have one (Lego LOCO) that requires 16 bit color and I'd like to be able to just start the game (or another application) and run the game in that without having to mess with my color settings (and having to reset them when I'm done). Ideally, being able to launch the games locally from an iso would be a big plus because I won't be able to take the discs with me (I do own them - share with family though).

I know of things that do this but have no idea what to get or which is best - my only requirement is it be free and work well for what I need it to.

For the 95/98 games - find the main executable (the application within the game files that actually starts the game). Right click it, choose Properties. Under the Compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Then you should be able to select from a drop down menu the appropriate Windows version. This should work, but you ought to check to see if the game runs fine without the compatibility workaround.

For the Lego game - I'm not too sure about this, but under the same tab, check "Disable desktop composition".

Hope this helps.

Hawkxs, I know of just the ISO-handling Disc/Drive Emulation Tool for you. Daemon Tools Lite will fit your bill ($0.00/FREE) as you happen to be a non-commercial/home user. (Check the Downloads page link after you get there if you don't believe me.) I've been using a slightly earlier version of the product myself, and I can say it definitely rocks. :)

Of course, if you happen to also need Redbook Audio Emulation, then I'm stumped. :(

~D. V. "Got one that's definitely good... but do you need Redbook?" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

iso images are going well with daemon tools. Still having questions about/with loco... my options include 256 color and a smaller display screen, but it wants 16 bit high color in 1024xsomthing. Any way I can default this to make that happen when I try to run it? (disabling desktop thingy didn't work)

There are some games that just will not work even in compatibility mode. The graphics card in your computer might be too new to even run the games. I had the same issue with one game I played a few months ago, and I ended up going online to look for a WinXP patch for it.