Threshold levels in general: maximums

Legionwizard

Lots of us have grinded away to get those minimum levels in order to access a new boss/equipment/skill ability. I was wondering, what do you people think of introducing maximum thresholds. This could pave the way for lower levels to get access to bosses and money making methods that higher levels can no longer monopolize on (but with drops/products that they could still find useful to buy). I prefer not to go into detail, but would this be considered a worthwhile idea?

Pro's:

- Less overflow of drops in market due to high level campers, allowing longer market sustainability

- Lower level people are given a moneymaking method competitive to people with similar skills/combat levels

- Incentive for new players, necessity for constant influx of new players/accounts

Contra's:

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Why would you want to reduce high-level content to low-level content?

You're assuming an awful lot here. What about new content introduced as low or mid-level?

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

introducing low leveled bosses that are designed specifically for low leveled players that have enough loot to be desired by high leveled players would be camped by high leveled players.. to lock them out of content because they are too high of a level would make high leveled players upset because they pay for content and it's never a good idea to lock out veteran players

countrydevil.png

introducing low leveled bosses that are designed specifically for low leveled players that have enough loot to be desired by high leveled players would be camped by high leveled players.. to lock them out of content because they are too high of a level would make high leveled players upset because they pay for content and it's never a good idea to lock out veteran players

It's not good to lock out beginner players either. Look at the massive amounts of content that high lvl'ed players already have. Are we catering to a fading elite, or nurturing a future that all levels can profit from and makes the game sustainable (i.e. allows new levels some breathing room)?

Legion.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It's not good to lock out beginner players either. Look at the massive amounts of content that high lvl'ed players already have. Are we catering to a fading elite, or nurturing a future that all levels can profit from and makes the game sustainable (i.e. allows new levels some breathing room)?

'a fading elite'... There's hardly an 'elite' left. Whereas at one point you had months where only 1 person could smith a certain item, there's now nothing as such. Whatever is around, thousands of people will be able to do it. The only fading part about it is that high levels become standard rather then elite.

Vmser.png

If you're looking to create low and mid level content, a hard cap is not the way to go.

A soft cap is the better solution. In other words, instead of FORBIDDING high levels from accessing content, create strong disincentives for them not to. If they have better stuff to do, they will do it. That's simply human nature.

For example, perhaps offering rewards that high level content can top, assuming the difficultly of both contents are roughly the same in terms of actual skill.

If you're looking to create low and mid level content, a hard cap is not the way to go.

A soft cap is the better solution. In other words, instead of FORBIDDING high levels from accessing content, create strong disincentives for them not to. If they have better stuff to do, they will do it. That's simply human nature.

For example, perhaps offering rewards that high level content can top, assuming the difficultly of both contents are roughly the same in terms of actual skill.

I think you'd still run into problems with crowding, though, kind of like what we have with bosses today; maxed players fighting bosses that are about the appropriate level for lower level players because there just isn't enough space for them at spots aimed at maxed players. Something that "isn't as good" becomes "good enough".

I do agree with you, I just think that something needs to be done about overcrowding first. There aren't enough spots to limit players at this point :razz:

I think you'd still run into problems with crowding, though, kind of like what we have with bosses today; maxed players fighting bosses that are about the appropriate level for lower level players because there just isn't enough space for them at spots aimed at maxed players. Something that "isn't as good" becomes "good enough".

I do agree with you, I just think that something needs to be done about overcrowding first. There aren't enough spots to limit players at this point :razz:

Instanced bosses like QBD could work well, or something like Glacors. Come to think of it, this seems to be the direction Jagex is headed