Some notes about combat styles, weapon types and damage in the EOC

Da_Latios

As far as I can tell, a critical hit is 1.2x damage, since I was hitting 1250 with Unload non-critical, and 1500 critical.

I Just tested 100 melee hits on a Magic training dummy that was stronger than me, with a critical hit chance of 9.6%.

I got just 1 critical hit, so we know that a critical hit does not mean it's a guaranteed hit (which I had hoped it was).

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

That makes sense, but we're still not sure about what crits do while momentum (what I was using to get my results) is active. Then we have to figure out if crit bonus increases the max hit or frequency of crits.

I think in one of the big combat FAQs they mentioned that crits were max hit on ability and 1.5x damage on autoattacks, but knowing Jagex the figure they gave could be way off anyway.

I also noticed that strange thing when testing crits on abilities with rapier/maul - my 100% damage ability seemed to max out below my rapier/maul's max hit. Maybe it's some kind of compensatory effect for weapon speed?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Double post but did some testing. Used Slice and Punish to get "maximum" weapon damage hits.

With dragon claw, dragon dagger or Tzhaar-ket-em (all 675 damage on equip interface)

Max hit with Punish (100%): 674

Max hit with Slice (125%): 842

With dragon longsword (834 damage but Fast speed)

Max hit with Punish (100%): 666

Max hit with Slice (125%): 832

With dragon halberd (1470 damage but Average speed and 2h bonus)

Max hit with Punish (100%): 969

Max hit with Slice (125%): 1212

Did some rapier criticals to test cross-tier damage (1079 damage but Fast speed)

Max hit with Punish (100%): 867

Max hit with Slice (125%): 1077

Max hit with Punish + Stun (135%): 1164

Max hit with Assault (219%): 1888

From the results it appears that there's some kind of speed penalty that gets applied when using abilities, so that abilities from either a fastest weapon (scimitars etc.) or an average weapon (battleaxe, warhammer) would end up having the same "weapon damage" for the purpose of calculating ability damage. However, melee abilities in these cases still benefit from the 2h boost, meaning that abilities triggered while using a 2h weapon get a bonus applied to that tier's "weapon damage".

I then tested overloads and turmoil again, using a Dragon claw (675 base damage, reported 692 base damage with overloads).

Max hit with Punish (100%): 674

Max hit with Slice (125%): 842

Added Turmoil:

Max hit with Punish (100%): 800

Max hit with Slice (125%): 1000

Added Overload:

Max hit with Punish (100%): 828

Max hit with Slice (125%): 1000

Added Turmoil and Overload:

Max hit with Punish (100%): 956

Max hit with Slice (125%): 1162

Appears from these readings that Turmoil and Overload give roughly the same boost (+18% damage, unsure about overload punish result though) and that the boost is multiplicative.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

From what i can notice, Critical hits dont necessarily meanmax hit or anything near it, it probably just means it's the damage you were gona do multiplied by crit multiplier.

Example: you were gona do 500, game rolls a crit, you do 600 now, which may or may not be the maximum you could hit. It just seems like extra damage for free, regardless o your max hit.

Abilties have a 1.2 second GCD, not 1.8.

I tried to do some testing on prayers myself, but since I'm F2P at the moment, I can only test one tier of boosting prayers.

Anyway, the Magic prayer, Overcharge, gives a 15% boost. It simply multiplies your max hit by 1.15%.

Melee and Ranged prayers seem to work in a different way. They give a 11 - 12% boost. They're calculated in a different way than Overcharge is.

Also, I tried to max with abilities that hit for 100% weapon damage.

Gravite 2h sword: 1256 weapon damage, average speed the Punish ability hit the dummy for 893 damage max.

Gravite longsword: 673 weapon damage, fast speed, the Punish ability hit for 616 damage max.

Rune dagger: 480 weapon damage, fastest speed, the Punish ability hit for 578 max.

It seems that for Melee and Ranged, abilities are based on your weapon damage + your Strength/Ranged level. You do 100% damage with weapons that are fastest speed, 80% for weapons that are fast speed and 66% with weapons that are average speed.

And spell damage is bugged right now, I'm sure of it. Using Air Strike, my max hit was 147, according to the Combat Stats interface, but I was hitting for exactly double of that on the dummies in Lumbridge. And, using Chain, which does 100% active spell damage, I hit for 192 max. So something's not quite right there, lol.