Running RS in the cloud

duplex1000

Hallo,

i am trying to find a solution to play RS on my mobil. So as i know that will not work i want to stream it from a PC, but i dont want to use my own because i do not want it to run the whole day.

So I seachred the web for days now to rent a PC somewhere but it seems noone provides something like that. The only things i am able to rent a servers and those ofc run a server related OS.

So to play around a bit and experince myself I now rented two VPS from a provider. So i try to give you more information and as i am really new to all that it is easly possible I mix up a few terms but all in all it should be possible to understand what is ment.

First i thought ok i rent a virtual-linux-server as a host and install windows xp as a guest using virtualbox.

Sadly i foung out that this doesnt seems to work because my VPS is allready paravirtualized. So i tried kvm and qemu but didnt get it running (maybe because I lack of skills)

So i rented anonther VPS running windows server 2008 r2. Also here I wasnt able to virtualize Windows XP. So at least it is able to run RS but it works pretty poor.

Both VPS seems to use a Parallels virtuozzo container with one core @ 2000 Mhz; RAM 1024 MB, SATA 100GB.

I also have the the possibilty to rent a better VPS with 2 cores or a dedicated server http://www.amazon.co...ant MicroServer, but only with a Linux Server OS.

Would that help anything or do you know some other solutions?

Regards

Kartisa.png

wont work. no phone is capable of running Runescape as a Java program, as it is. (not to mention store its data)

and if you tried to remote desktop it, that wont work either for a multitude of reasons, the biggest being mobiles dont support that either.

When RS eventually becomes HTML5 its possible (as they said) but while it still runs on a java system and stores data the way it does, you cant play in on a phone regardless of any servers you may have.

Plus the way you word it, sounds like you want to RUN runescape from your server. which is impossible without running a private server which is both illegal and doesn't communicate to Jagex's official version either.

• Like 1

Popoto.~<3

Thank you for your fast reply but it is way of answering the question I asked.

1. No i dont want to run RS directly on my mobil, as I know that isnt possible.

2. You understand it right, i want to run RS on a rented server somewhere and stream it to my mobile. So i dont want to run it on a server but after searching the internet it seems to be to only possible way to rent a PC somewhere.

3. I am allready running RS on a rented VPS with Windows Server 2008 Rs and stream it with teamviewer to my mobil. It works, so dont tell me it doesnt lol.

The only thing is that it runs pretty laggy on that server, well because it is a server os (i guess)

So i am looking for other or better solutions as i wrote above.

Kartisa.png

So to describe it a bit better and maybe more understandable:

PC at home running RS --> use team viewer or a similar app to stream it on your mobile => being able to play RS on a mobile

So now substitue the PC at home with a rented PC somewhere and do the same.

The problem is that noone seems to provide a normal desktop PC for rent. It is only possible to rent servers (which is a PC is well, isnt it).

Kartisa.png

I don't know what you mean by a better solution. You're going to be stuck using remote desktop(or equivilant) to do this and it will always be slow and laggy.

If you're talking about cost, then look into Amazon web services. http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2012/01/15/AWS-Free-Tier-Now-Includes-Windows/

You'll be able to set up an on demand windows box that you can remote into.

The first year is free(if you use the slow box), but you can upgrade to a better box(instantly with no charge) for 11-23 cents an hour.

~M

I don't get why you are intent on renting a pc to do this; it'll only cost more than it does to simply leave ur pc on at home.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't know what you mean by a better solution. You're going to be stuck using remote desktop(or equivilant) to do this and it will always be slow and laggy.

So my experince atm tells me, the only thing that is slow, is my rented VPS running RS. I only can run software mod and get like 15 fps. So that why I am looking for a better solution. Teamviewer and connection isnt a problem, it works really fast for me (as i am mostly in wlan-networks anyways).

If you're talking about cost, then look into Amazon web services. http://aws.amazon.co...udes-Windows/

You'll be able to set up an on demand windows box that you can remote into.

The first year is free(if you use the slow box), but you can upgrade to a better box(instantly with no charge) for 11-23 cents an hour.

So i rented my VPS for EUR 10/month running Windows Server 2008 Rs 8, so aws also runs the same system and it seems it is also paravirtualized i doubt that would increase the performance and i am also not able to run Windows 7 or XP there it seems. And so everyone knows RS runs best with Windows.

I don't get why you are intent on renting a pc to do this; it'll only cost more than it does to simply leave ur pc on at home.

Pretty simple, because it is noisy and i dont like it. PC at home is in the living room. Kids play there and so on. It isnt a good solution. Also my partner dont like it it very much if it the PC runs the whole time and I totally agree.

So I would spend up to EUR 20 / month for rented PC (Server) that is able to run RS with dircetx and 30+ fps. So that seems still cost efficient for me when valueing the extern effects. So i dont really need it for free as long as it provides what i am looking for

Kartisa.png

Yeah, you wont be able to remote desktop it from a mobile. It simply can't handle millions of pixels per second changing on the screen from RS, and the only mobile that MIGHT be able to do it is a Windows OS Phone, except they don't do remote desktop.

Sadly it's a simple case of no phone producing enough memory to run/manage it, even from remote desktop. (which it itself uses a lot of RAM, not to mention your phone bill would be insanely high from the bandwidth usage)

Popoto.~<3

Why would a Windows phone be able to do it more than other OSes on phones? I've done it on my LG Optimus G which runs Android, although extremely laggy, it does work. Check for remote control programs other than the Windows remote control program. One like Teamviewer might work but would probably be as laggy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK, one year has past by and I am interested if there is still no really good solution for that.

So I had a few tries myself and i am going to share my experinces. The biggest problem I experienced is that most servers run with linux and i am totally no pro with that and have really big troubles to run it userfriendly.

So things you need is a server with a gpu or at least a cpu with intergrated gpu:

I myself had the best experience with a server i rented from Hetzner which is on a downside is really quite expensive.

It costed 50 EUR/month has an i7 intel cpu with integrated graphics. You could choose between some linux distributiuns.

I myself would have prefered windows but that would have costed me another 25 EUR/m.

I also tried some virtuel servers, but most if then just run rs in a really bad way and very laggy - not playable at all.

The had been all cheap but performed pretty bad, also you dont get a real gpu which is pretty bad.

For streaming i use if possible splashtop which really performed great. So atm i am not able to get it run under Linux as well i am not really able to get java running on linux server :p

But i guess that are just my skills. :p

Kartisa.png