Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb dies at 34yrs old

Kimberly

From www.giantbomb.com:

Ryan Davis passed away on July 3rd. He was 34.

Obviously we’re all stunned over here. Ryan was a good friend to all of us. It’s odd to remember that, for someone who could be so acerbic at times, and despite knowing him for almost a decade, I honestly don’t recall ever actually being mad at him. He had an unconventional type of kindness that expressed itself more strongly the longer one knew him, and despite his teasing nature, he always managed to make his close friends feel loved when his attention turned towards you.

Many of you know that Ryan was recently married. In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold.

The consolation we can feel from that is miniscule compared to the hole that Ryan’s absence will leave in our lives. That’s not a hole that is possible to fill; it’s just something that we’ll just have to get used to walking around with, and that will not happen for a long, long time.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Giant Bomb, it's a brilliant game coverage site. Ryan was the cofounder of the site and a former writer for Gamestop. For many gamers out there, the members over at Giant Bomb were like a fond friend. Davis death was unexpected and a lot of gamers today have to say goodbye to that friend today.

If you wanted to see just what sort of man passed away (and one of the contributors to why GB was so great) there's a tribute stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/thanksryan

Today sucks, man.

hzvjpwS.gif

Today sucks indeed. :(

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Never really followed Giant Bomb that closely (mostly because of the website's confusing UX) but I was nonetheless really, really bummed when I heard the news of his passing. I've always enjoyed their Quick Looks and that was mostly due to Ryan's hilarious and intelligent commentary and infectious laugh. Every person I've heard who's ever met him immediately really liked the guy, dude just exuded tons of energy and compassion.

He died on his honeymoon. Christ.

I listened to their most recent bombcast where the other members of the GB crew shared their memories of Ryan. The last 4 minutes are absolutely heartbreaking.

onYdjdL.gif

He's shaking babies in heaven now.

• Like 1

2009rb9.jpg