Maging barrows - maximizing damage

Koldes2

I used to barrows for hours and hours a day for weeks and weeks, back in the day.

Just got my character back up to the level again, with the right gear, skills, quest unlocked, etc.

Started doing it again (some major luck, got two spears within the first 40 trips) and been wondering a few things.

I'm currently doing full veracs minus flail, with slayer staff doing dart with obby shield and rune boots. I was thinking - would it actually help if I grabbed infinity boots and zamorak book? Or is their magic defense SO low that it doesn't really matter?

I mostly have been praying against Dh, Ahrim, Karil and tanking the other three - so my defenses from the boots/shield do contribute. But, I'm thinking faster deaths for them will help.

So, is my damage already pretty much max'd out due to their shit defenses? Kind of like the same reason why people wear barrows here and barrows to DKs, rather than robes?

(Please don't offer sally or other methods for doing it, as I like this specific method!)

Currently 66 magic with -23 magic attack bonus in my full gear - worth getting infinity boots/god book and help with this strat?

Thanks in advance

-Returning player from 2006-2009 era. Old username used to be Alpha Koldes. Back for Old School RS.

Less no lifing this time around. Thanks a lot, adulthood.

Infinity boots will help. I'd only use the book when you are actually using protection prayers, but switch to a shield after your prayer runs out (or against brothers which you'd need defence for, such as Guthans).

Also, Dragon Square has less Magic attack penalty and greater defence than obby shield, if you have access to one.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Great thinking - thanks

What about god cape - prolly better than an obby one?

-Returning player from 2006-2009 era. Old username used to be Alpha Koldes. Back for Old School RS.

Also, obby shield actually has worse defense bonuses than a rune kite, if you want purely def bonuses compared to the +5 str the obby shield offers. Though the rune defender would probably be better in that case.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Obby shield and granite shields also have identical stats, except the granite lacks the str bonus. So if youre only maging, you might switch to granite to save money in case you die. The only reason to use those shields anywhere is for their ranged defense though, not their melee defense.

77yLQy8.png

Ignoring the veracs comment, as I specified I don't want advice on other methods...

Thanks for the info about the shields. I hadn't really put that much thought into it - makes a lot of sense.

Thoughts on the god cape?

Depends on how much damage you're taking. I'd go with the god cape if you seem to be tanking fine right now, switch back if you notice something changed.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

I would use God cape, the attack bonus on it is much more noticeable than the loss of 9 defence points from an obby cape, but... there is this issue of trying to replace the cape if you die with it.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)