Runescape Combat System, Good Or Bad?

l0lergy

So i post these videos in the general discussion of other forums once every week or so, they are intended to generate discussion on the topic so i thought i would bring them here also. This topic is a little more controversial i guess but it follows suit with the format of the other videos, its not intended to bash things more so to generate thought provocative discussion on the topic. For those of you who are unfamiliar with these videos, i do one every week or so and post them on my channel.

as with always you don't need to watch, you can just contribute from the thread title. My final point really answers the question at the end 14:57.

"Is the runescape combat system good or bad? and to me i think its a double edge sword its good for one group in retrospect and bad for the other but when you swap the combat systems around the good and the bad do as well. For legacy its good for the older style players who prefer a simplistic system but on the other hand its not as appealing to the newer players because of the lack of engagement. When you flip it on its head and turn it to EOC you have it being not as appealing to the older players who enjoyed the simplistic system and making it more appealing to the newer players because of the innovative and familiar system they see in other games. And really that's the fundamental issue with the system as a whole, its contradiction to its own self" 

There is a thin line between engagement and frustration of dealing with and understanding a complicated system, which can occur more readily if people aren't prepared to invest sufficient time into it...or just want to play the game as they remember it.  Also, EoC is not even completely on par for new players vs established, high level players.  For anyone who came after the world events or somehow missed out on the rewards, for example, abilities like Sacrifice or Devotion become near-endgame content, even though they prove quite useful, for training at least.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

nerf buff nerf buff nerf buff

omg nerf stun pl0x so scary

Hey lets puts a skin of the old over the new!

Legacy good for the older players? I think that was implented mostly because PvPers whined and indeed PvPers got it but the general consensus of the small community that was left is that "its the lesser evil" and indeed whilst EoC was finally growing it was destroyed, not because legacy was "better". As of right now it's all just DH noobs killing each other, praying for a noob to come in. 

yawn, I wanted more abilities but that's too difficult xD pls

Borat: great success!

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

The biggest problem with Runescape's combat is twofold. The first is the fact that combat has been, and still is the same since the game's earliest days. Eoc is nothing more than a bunch of special attacks and a 10x increase in damage and health. Weapons have no identity, and combat is solely based on what style you're using, and what abilities you bring.

The second problem is Jagex's unwillingness to upset the norm. We saw this in pre-eoc with melee's dominance in almost all things. Melee did not remain powerful because it should be, it did because players were settled in with a flawed system and didn't want change. The game stagnated and issues that needed to be fixed were left alone.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun