Membership Price Changes - 1st March 2015

Howlin0001

Does inflation play a part - yes. Is it the only thing? No

We saw profits are (significantly) down, which suggests (along with similar revenue) costs have blown out. They need to increase revenue to keep profits up, because really, that's all that matters (shocking). Bonds/Spins can only recover so much and without an amazing (prismania?) promotion would be fairly near saturation point. Best way then to increase revenue?

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Raising prices is fine, but raising value should come along with that.  Much respect to Jagex for keeping the game somewhat entertaining, but the value grab isn't like it was when they first decided to raise the membership price.

Even without getting into other games, isn't $10/month the cost of a Netflix subscription?

Sounds about right.  I don't have Netflix myself, but I do have Crunchyroll (about the same amount), Amazon Prime and Play Music.  Not to mention, there's tens of thousands of hours of free entertainment on YouTube.  There's also a lower barrier of entry to my platform; I can enjoy content from those providers on Linux without any hassle; Java's web plugin is so maligned that the entire NPAPI backend is to be ripped out of Chrome, and Linux got hit first.  Only way I could play the game was through a stupid workaround...which still weirds me out.

Not to go too much further, but I can enjoy all of the above on my mobile devices.  I'm too terrified to melt my laptop while playing 'Scape (and I nearly have before), so I'd only ever play it on my tower.  Limited device options don't make for an appealing case to pay up that much when there is just so much out there that my $10 could go towards.

My laptop motherboard litteraly melted when getting 99 hunter in 2007. :/

I don't know what kind of stuff Jagex is feeding my CPU through RuneScape.

If your motherboard melts from runescape shouldn't you fix your computer? Because a computer should imo shut itself down before something possibly could melt. I think macs have such a safety thing in them to do that. Although I agree runescape eats CPU, and I hope that the new client (may it ever come) will solve that issue...

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

If your motherboard melts from runescape shouldn't you fix your computer? Because a computer should imo shut itself down before something possibly could melt. I think macs have such a safety thing in them to do that. Although I agree runescape eats CPU, and I hope that the new client (may it ever come) will solve that issue...

Can't you tell your computer to only dedicate so much CPU to RuneScape if you really want to? At least in Windows there is an option to set how high of a priority it is, but maybe it doesn't actually do anything...also there is a CPU usage box in the settings of the game itself, isn't there?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I was only 14-15 years at the time, didn't know anything about how you could change those things. :p

Suddenly the laptop started making odd noises and crashed, and never started up again. The computer fixer of the family took a look at it and saw the motherboard was melted. 

The lack of cooling probably was a big part of the problem.

it pretty much is just an inflation shift

DmkF8qe.png

It's a lot more than an inflation shift, at least if we are talking US dollars.  Inflation has not been all that great in the past decade due to the recession and general fiscal sanity.

CPI is one measure but I wouldn't say it's the be-all and end-all of inflation. For example I'm sure something like food prices have gone up more...

What Arceus said plus the fact inflation on the dollar is almost entirely irrelevant considering Jagex is a UK based company and therefore their price shifts would be tied to GBP inflation.

Then layer on various other factors that would cause value shift that effect price such as changes to the minimum wage, changes to tax thresholds, introduction of the latest work place pension thing, general cost rises faced since the recession etc. etc.

And finally slap on the exchange rate of GBP to USD (or AUD or EUR or w/e)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

While I have the grandfathered price of 4.60 euros a month, lots of the people I know are now quitting the game. Mainly because they only play 07scape and don't think 07scape is worth that much a month.

Wouldn't they continue paying what they currently are?

Also it looks like Old School is going to be F2P, so they might want to rethink that ;).

Is it?

Interesting...

Runescape 2²

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Is it?

Interesting...

Runescape 2²

Yeah, more information here. The poll results thus far can be found here and it has been at 85%+ consistently, and hence seems very likely to pass.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I wonder how many f2p-ers  oldscape will have. Maybe it will make more members in oldscape as people might be willing to try oldscape now (instead of first paying membership to try if they like it)

• Like 1

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!