Cannabis Legalization

The Observer

Okay, so two days away until it's legalized in Canada.

In Ontario they're having everything sold through an online store and it will be shipped to your door and private sellers can start their own businesses starting in April (?) of next year.

The previous government's plan was to sell both online and through physical retailers.

Lots of complications with law enforcement, etc... example:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4529324/rcmp-cannabis-legalization-policy/

Thoughts?

j0xPu5R.png

Can't wait til it happens in NJ and they tax the Jesus out of it. I'm glad we can have this thread now, since it was such a disaster 10 years ago

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

In general I think it's a good (or at least neutral thing). I'm not happy about the erosion of rights that came with the bill (arbitrary stop and breathalyze for alcohol now). Also it seems like the blood test the government is recommending isn't very consistent. Other than that, there are still some pretty silly restrictions on individual growth and sale, but at least there are some reasonable private options in Ontario now.

It's tempting to "tax the Jesus out of it", but if you make taxes too high, people don't leave the black market, which stops one of the big advantages of legalizing in the first place. good tax policy isn't easy!

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Agreed, but I'm sure you're aware that the US could use the extra cash flow. The only reason why we aren't all living in Hoover Houses is because we haven't accepted that our net worth is negative.

I'm going to Canada on vacation next year with a moderate pot head, and he really wants us to smoke while we're up there, so I'm waiting to see what the consensus is on Americans smoking while in Canada (both in Canada's opinion and in America's)

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I'm going to Canada on vacation next year with a moderate pot head, and he really wants us to smoke while we're up there, so I'm waiting to see what the consensus is on Americans smoking while in Canada (both in Canada's opinion and in America's)

If you're following the rules of the province, then it shouldn't be a big deal. Just don't bring anything back with you.

j0xPu5R.png

Yeah, I went to California earlier this year and bought a bunch of edibles. Totally legal. I had to leave some there, but it was completely fine. In fact, the vendors are real cool people

Yeah, but iirc Trump at one point threatened to start enforcing the federal ban, so that might change, or it might be arbitrarily different (though, we're white, so probably arbitrarily different in our favor *shrugs*)

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Agreed, but I'm sure you're aware that the US could use the extra cash flow. The only reason why we aren't all living in Hoover Houses is because we haven't accepted that our net worth is negative.

Marijuana taxes are not going to fix anyone's fiscal problems lol. One of the most overstated and blatantly wrong assumptions about legalization is that it'll be some panacea of fiscal salvation. A simple look at the numbers proves this completely incorrect.... for example, Colorado makes (generously) 150 million per year on taxing marijuana, which is a grand total of.... .4% of their annual *state* budget

there wouldn't be any rules in Canada preventing tourist consumption (though I suppose it's possible specific cities or provinces might try to restrict sales to citizens only, which I doubt would hold up in court). As far as entering the US goes, it's up to the individual discretion of the border guard, which is the way it's always been. Obviously you wouldn't want to volunteer that information.

polvCwJ.gif

I'm not saying it will magically save our financial crisis, but anything that returns positive should be considered at this point

I'm not saying it will magically save our financial crisis, but anything that returns positive should be considered at this point

sure, but taxation isn't all benefits - it has costs too. Sometimes the costs are useful (see carbon taxes as an example). But taxing marijuana doesn't fix any sort of fiscal problem, at least not without causing a far bigger one.

polvCwJ.gif

sure, but taxation isn't all benefits - it has costs too. Sometimes the costs are useful (see carbon taxes as an example). But taxing marijuana doesn't fix any sort of fiscal problem, at least not without causing a far bigger one.

It also depends on the product. Social costs of alcohol (hospital, public works, missed work, chronic conditions... etc) for example as so high our provincial government does not make a profit off of it, despite owning the marketplace.

I don't see the social costs of marijuana being as high, which doesn't warrant as high a tax. It's a balancing act, really.

j0xPu5R.png

Yeah I went to Vancouver this summer and even as I was a tourist I was able to buy medical marijuana there lol, I just had to sign a laminated form with a dry erase marker saying that I was over 19 and I was good. This will make it even easier for tourists haha.

I've been in Washington for the last few years where it's been legal and everything is fine and weed isn't even too much more expensive than it was in other places I've been - honestly its a bit cheaper lol. pretty much all positives. Makes some revenue for the state and gives people some more freedom. Yay Canada

British Columbia is known to have the best bud in Canada but there will be no physical stores. :(

Is that something that is coming soon? 

I know Ontario will be waiting until next year for physical stores.

j0xPu5R.png

• 3 years later...