Think about Buy World of Warcraft

cluck

Such as? There's tons of other games with better graphics, and there's other games where individual systems have a better design philosophy behind them, but comparing the entire WoW gameplay package... (And by that, I'm excluding the graphics)

Ultima Online, EQ(1), DaOC, ect.

A lot of the older mmo's were more revolutionary. Some of them may have even been smaller than WoW (probaly not though, EverQuest is huge and Ulitma online is as well.) but what they brought to MMORPG's was amazing. Plus, a lot of them had some of the best PvP in any game ever made (Ulitma online, DaOC) and PvE in a game (Everquest).

anesthesia, I meant revolutionary as gameplay wise, in which WoW is simply the normal mixture of "kill this and do that" mmo forumula. It realy didn't bring any features to MMORPG's that is revolutionary.

Basicly said, I think that it is a 'good' game. It is a fun game for someone transitioning into an MMORPG or a long term fan of them, but, I don't think it's just anything incredibly special as some other mmo's were, hence, it realy isn't revolutionary, it's just a game with a lot of marketing that was made by Blizzard.

Fair enough. As I said though, WoW combines a lot of good ideas. And quite frankly, while it's always nice to see unique ideas in one area of an MMORPG, to have an entire package that is likeable is definitely underrated. Since MMORPGs generally aren't the type of game you go "Hm... Which MMORPG do I feel like playing now?", it makes it well worth the money.

(And WoW is the largest MMORPG to date with 5+ million subscribers. EQ, at it's peak, never crossed 500 000, UO never croseed 300 000. Right now, Runescape has more paying subscribers - let alone players - than DAoC, EQ, UO and quite a host of other games)

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Fair enough. As I said though, WoW combines a lot of good ideas. And quite frankly, while it's always nice to see unique ideas in one area of an MMORPG, to have an entire package that is likeable is definitely underrated. Since MMORPGs generally aren't the type of game you go "Hm... Which MMORPG do I feel like playing now?", it makes it well worth the money.

(And WoW is the largest MMORPG to date with 5+ million subscribers. EQ, at it's peak, never crossed 500 000, UO never croseed 300 000. Right now, Runescape has more paying subscribers - let alone players - than DAoC, EQ, UO and quite a host of other games)

I agree that WoW brought the MMO genre to the masses. That is the one thing, I belive, that it realy did well: it was a game that was easy to start up on and had 'the' mmorpg package in it. The subscription base is huge, yes, because the game attracts a lot of different types of people.

WoW is a higher quality MMORPG. Lots of grinding and good pvp. My friend plays it off and on. If you actually want to play a high end MMORPG you're going to play $12.99+ USD per month. Shadowbane is closing in a few weeks so if you want to try a high end MMORPG I'd reccomend trying to get your hands on a disk quickly. Accounts are free and there may be somewhere to download the game... As for buying WoW, I think that's a good idea. Leveling is faster than RuneScape but fairly slow in the eyes of most gamers. Expect to die a LOT. Many MMORPGs revolve around pvp. If you dont like pvp stay with RuneScape because its mostly a carebear game. I feel like im rambling and have typed WAY to much so I'm going to stop now and let you have fun. (Btw I personally HATE Warcraft 3, pvp there sucks a*s)