Skills - How to organize them

Anti

Skills

====

There are a total of 22 skills in runescape.

These can be divided into several catagories.

Let's start with Base Supply.

Base Supply

=========

Base Supply is what drives the entire economy of runescape. It's the

raw materials harvested from the world of runescape that is in some way

useful to the players.

Items gained from base supply technically have no monetary value

to runescape itself, but these can be alched, or sold to other players.

Good examples of a base supply skill are woodcutting, fishing, farming, and mining.

Runecrafting and thieving can also be classified as a base supply skill.

Refinary

======

Refinary skills are skills used to do exactly what they are named after,

refining. These are the skills that are used to take an item gained form a

base supply skill and refine it, so as to make it worth more money to

other players or to better aid the player in some way.

This can be something such as cooking, which enables us to take a

base supply item, for this instance let's say a lobster, and refine it so

that we may eat it, which allows us to gain health back.

It is typical for a base supply skill to also have a refinary skill at its side.

Mining has smithing, farming has herblore ( this may be argued to a point,

but many consider farming an excellent skill for gathering herbs), woodcutting

has fletching, and cooking has fishing. Magic is NOT the refinary skill for

runecrafting. Crafting is an all around skill with no single base supply. Firemaking is a refinary skill in that it enables us to take logs and create a fire for cooking, and also allowing us to light up light-sources.

Combat

======

Next up is combat. Now, combat is not a skill itself, but is a mix of several

skills which enable the player to fight monsters in order to achieve higher

levels, wear armor which enables them limited protection from many monsters

and even fight their fellow players in the wilderness.

The combat skills are (in random order) Hitpoints, Attack, Strength, Defense,

Magic, and Range. Prayer is also a part of combat.

Other Information

============

So let's take a quick look at a chart here shall we?

Base Supply -

Woodcutting

Mining

Fishing

Farming

Runecrafting

Thieving

Refinary -

Fletching

Smithing

Fishing

Herblore

Crafting

Firemaking

Combat -

Hitpoints

Attack

Strength

Defence

Magic

Range

Prayer

Now, here is the part you can help me with.

Please offer any suggestions/comments/concerns that you might

possibly have, and please, this is the important one, listen up: Help me

figure out where all the other skills should go!

Does anyone happen to know death_siren? She stole a green mask from me, and I think I found my way into her ignore list. If you know anything, please, don't hesitate to give me a pm.

Ah, you're right.

That was dumb

>_<

Thank you for catching that, I fixed it now.

Does anyone happen to know death_siren? She stole a green mask from me, and I think I found my way into her ignore list. If you know anything, please, don't hesitate to give me a pm.

Runecrafting is a refinary skill, with mining being its base supply.

I was going to raise that same point! But it is also technically a supply skill as you're creating Runes which are used in Magic so it's sort of both at the same time and you can only classify at either one by ignoring either the purpose or the use of the skill.

I think that Slayer and Hitpoints aught to fall under Combat as well. Hlitpoints because if you didn't have HP you couldn't fight any monsters, you'd be dead on the spot! Slayer simply uses Combat and unlocks more monsters for you to fight so either it's a skill that unlocks things for you or it's combat.

Fletching is similar to Runecrafting, it has two sides of a coin. Firstly you can consider it a Supplying skill as you get the arrows for Ranged or you can consider it a Refining skill as you're using up supplies to make the arrows. Perhaps another category for both.

Thieving is another skill that simply unlocks things for you (pun intended :wink: ). With it you can get into more places and interact with NPC's on a whole new level. Agility is similar, it unlocks more aspects of the game for you, most importantly shortcuts.

Herblore is yet another skill similar to Fletching in the way it can be considered.

Farming is a refining skill as you use seeds to create something, simple as that. Now that I think about it though, Thieving could be considered a supply skill as you steal items from stalls and from chests and from NPC's (Paladins and 70 Thieving FTW!). But I would think it more of an opening skill.

Construction is a refining skill, you use up planks and cloth and cash to build a house. Can't be considered a supply skill as the supplies generally allow others (or yourself) to get XP in another skill. Adding furniture to your house from a flatpack doesn't give XP (I think).

Crafting is another mixed skill as you both use up resources and then the items created feed into skills (i.e. Glass Orb from Sand and Seaweed is then used to make magic orbs for Staves).

I hope you also meant Member skills but if not just ignore the majority of what I've said :wink:

base-

farming

thieving

refine-

fletching

crafting (gems come from mining and random events while doing base/combat/refine skills. gold is also mined)

construction; example, clay->soft clay->fire place, or logs->planks->chair

combat-

slayer

misc.

-agility

agility is a hard one to define. its like a helping skill. it helps you get from point a to point b with the ability to take shortcuts and regain energy quicker. it really cant refine anything or get any base items, but it can help refine and retrieve baste items. it can also help to get to combat areas quicker. im afraid that agility does not fit in anywhere but its own catagory.

::edit:: i would put runecrafting in refine because you have to mine the essence first.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

WARNING: SEMI-LONG POST!as long as we're talking about organizing skills, why don't i post my pic about a new stat page. (which i'll be posting a thread about on the Suggestions Board right after this.)

newstatpage0bz.png (sorry. only roughly cropped)

this is my idea for reorganizing the stat page. i think that the current one is a little too mixed up.

Here is my thought process in which i'll explain why i chose to place what i placed where. it may get a little confusing so bare with me.

Column I

Column 1 is almost completely based on combat. I moved things around, but i kept Hitpoints at the top, because i believe JAGeX chose to have it there so you can see it as quickly as possible so you don't waste a split second looking for it to see how much hp u have during an intense battle. i put the melee skill in first, because i believe it is the most common form of combat, in their original order. Then followed by prayer, for reason that i dont know. lol. I then put ranged and mage. because of lack of space in column 2 i put runecrafting after mage because they are related skills, in that rc produces the materials for performing mage.

Column II

Column 2 is all of remaining skills but only the f2p ones. But trust me, the placing of all these skills was very delicately selected. (There is a method to my madness!!!) i placed fishing at the top, to represent its slight relation to Hitpoints, in that it provides replenishment to it. Under fishing comes cooking, because u need to cook your food. Under cooking, firemaking b/c unless you are near a range, making a fire is your only choice for cooking. Under fm, is wc because u need to cut down logs to be able to start them aflame. Under wc is crafting, which ill get back to in Column 3 description. Then under crafting is mining, because u, in some cases, need to mine your own silver or gold. and finally comes smithing because it is so ever-so-closely tied to mining your own ores to smelt.

Column III

Column 3 is all of the p2p skills, but are all arranged in an organized way. At the top is Slayer because it possesses a relationship with combat and needing to eat food when you train it. Then comes Thieving and Agility for almost no reason besides you sometimes need food to heal yourself when caught by NPC's you've been thieving from and agility when you harm yourself when unsuccessfully doing something training agility. Then Fletching, right next to wc, because it relates to woodcutting and getting your own logs to fashion into bows and arrows. I put crafting under wc because it relates to fletching and spinning flax into bowstrings. Then is construction which uses fletching as sort of a link to wc, so that you may chop your own oak, teak, or mahogony for your lovely home. Then at last i have farming and herblore, which do not relate to construction but do to eachother in that many people find it beneficial to grow their own things for potions to make.

Phew.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

Thanks guys.

I Think I'll keep runecrafting as a base skill, and I'll add crafting as a refinary skill.

And I also think I'll add thieving into base production.

Only reason I didn't put hitpoints into combat was because........I forgot.

XD

Well, I've got that down.

I'll also add slayer into combat.

I thought about making a new catagory, Member.

Sort of the extra skills that don't seem to fit entirely into any one of the catagories.

These include agility, slayer, and thieving.

I'll also add firemaking into refinary.

My runescape name is lucas_x, if any of you have some suggestions and would rather not put them up on the board.

Priv is always on. =)

At Vampire:

Very snazzy Redesign, personally, I like it and I think it'd be nice if they put all of the member skills into a single area so we can look at them quicker(even though it's just a quick glance now).

The only problem is that Jagex has undoubtedly strategically put their skills in such an order. When you scan across your skills as an F2P what do you see? Combat stats on the left and then other F2P skills on the right. What's seperating them? Member skills! Whenever you look at your skills you'll see a big ol' open space where you haven't gained any levels. A subtle ploy by Jagex to bait you into getting members perhaps :anxious:

At Vampire:

Very snazzy Redesign, personally, I like it and I think it'd be nice if they put all of the member skills into a single area so we can look at them quicker(even though it's just a quick glance now).

The only problem is that Jagex has undoubtedly strategically put their skills in such an order. When you scan across your skills as an F2P what do you see? Combat stats on the left and then other F2P skills on the right. What's seperating them? Member skills! Whenever you look at your skills you'll see a big ol' open space where you haven't gained any levels. A subtle ploy by Jagex to bait you into getting members perhaps :anxious:

yea , i figured that JAGex already has them split up in some way of their own, and you're probably right about the p2p skill thing. but then why have crafting just smack dab in the middle of em. it looks bad, i think. Organization is key

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

Thanks guys.

I Think I'll keep runecrafting as a base skill, and I'll add crafting as a refinary skill.

And I also think I'll add thieving into base production.

Only reason I didn't put hitpoints into combat was because........I forgot.

XD

Well, I've got that down.

I'll also add slayer into combat.

I thought about making a new catagory, Member.

Sort of the extra skills that don't seem to fit entirely into any one of the catagories.

These include agility, slayer, and thieving.

I'll also add firemaking into refinary.

i dont see why runecrafting should be a base skill. you have to convert MINED rune essence into a rune, which benefits combat. you REFINE the rune essence into a new, purer form.

as of your idea for a member catagory, i dont really like it. i mean, slayer is completely combat. you can't get to level 99 with out using combat. (or a hell of a lot of rings of recoil). thieving is using your skill to retrieve items such as seeds and gems. even food items. they are usind in refinery skills or combat skills. the only one that should be seperated in my oppinion is agility since its a helper skill. it helps all 3 types of skills.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

The thing is, slayer doesn't actually comply with combat.

I mean, it relates and all, but it has no effect on how high you hit, or how much damage you take.

Although, now, it's starting to sound like many of you think slayer si combat, so I'll add that in.

Still taking any suggestions.

Nice, I really like your work. Try talking to Jagex about this.

Me or tefda??

I have to disagree with runecrafting. As previously stated, it requires obtaining essence, most commonly done through the mining skill (only alternative I can think of is monster drops).

But then again if runecrafting goes, so would farming. Seeds dont just appear out of thin air.

Hm.....

Ah, you're right.

That was dumb

>_<

Thank you for catching that, I fixed it now.

uhh no you didnt

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

runecrafting is definitely a refinement skill. it uses raw materials and produces items directly for combat. all the base skills do is gather raw materials that generally cannot be used in combat without refinement. a lot of these raw items (hides, second ingredients, bones, etc) are not a result of a base skill, but from hunting and gathering, which actually is combat. so its kinda circuler, because combat sometimes supplies the raw materials needed to refine and use in combat

i'd say the list should looklike this:

BASE

woodcutting

mining

fishing

farming

theiving

agility

REFINEMENT

fletching

runecrafting

cooking

smithing

crafting

herblore

construction

firemaking

prayer

COMBAT

attack

defence

strength

magic

ranged

slayer

hitpoints

i put agility in base skills because to me its a support skill that helps in every other skill, because it helps you get around. i put prayer under refinement because although it raises your combat level, its not really a combat skill. you can bury bones at a monster to death. but because prayer is raised by using a raw material, i put it as a refinement skill. its just the way i see it

btw, nice thread and interesting idea

Are you a member with a full bank and cancelling your subscription? Are you an F2P player that wants more bank space? Check out my guide on Going to F2P with a full bank