Help Understanding the Phat Dupe

Ddrmaster7

Ok, I joined RS in about April '05, so it's clear I wasn't around for the dupe. I have a few questions that I'd like the wiser Runescape players to answer for me.

1. When was it exactly? I've heard dates varying from November 3rd to 7th, and I'm not sure who to believe.

2. How exactly was the bug exploited? Was it using the program Auto-Rune, or was it just a flaw in Jagex's game?

3. Who was the first person to discover it? I think it's Kait...somthing-or-other. But I've heard of a couple different people who've claimed they found it.

Any other information is greatly appreciated. I'm just naturally curious about this subject. :mrgreen: Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I remember reading that site a while back, and it refreshed my memory. One thing I didn't quite understand:

The way the dupe worked was when in a trade screen it would put up a non-stackable item with an amount of zero, where it would normally be one. This would trick my side into thinking I put up nothing, and the other into thinking I put up one. So really, it's not duping because you don't need one to start with. It's more like "Creation." It also used an item ID.

If my understanding of this is correct, Auto-Rune somehow got into the Jagex server, typed in "580" (the pink party hat ID) in some kind of noted form, placed the number of pink phats offered as "0" and put it up on the trade screen. The other person's side got a value of 1 from the server, therefore creating multiple items. Is this right?

Second, is it true that Andrew offered lifetime membership to any person who told him how the cheat worked; he then banned the person who told and everyone else involved? If so, seems like a pretty petty thing to do.

Third, I read this.

Like we did the other time with banker killing.

There was a bug where people could attack bankers? Can anyone explain this?

Thanks, I remember reading that site a while back, and it refreshed my memory. One thing I didn't quite understand:

The way the dupe worked was when in a trade screen it would put up a non-stackable item with an amount of zero, where it would normally be one. This would trick my side into thinking I put up nothing, and the other into thinking I put up one. So really, it's not duping because you don't need one to start with. It's more like "Creation." It also used an item ID.

If my understanding of this is correct, Auto-Rune somehow got into the Jagex server, typed in "580" (the pink party hat ID) in some kind of noted form, placed the number of pink phats offered as "0" and put it up on the trade screen. The other person's side got a value of 1 from the server, therefore creating multiple items. Is this right?

Second, is it true that Andrew offered lifetime membership to any person who told him how the cheat worked; he then banned the person who told and everyone else involved? If so, seems like a pretty petty thing to do.

Third, I read this.

Like we did the other time with banker killing.

There was a bug where people could attack bankers? Can anyone explain this?

These are things which I don't understand either...

I_Xpk3r_I: Future Mayhem Maker

Yes, Andrew (or it could have been paul) did offer lifetime membership to someone to show them how to do it (so they could counter it) unfortunatly they then perm. banned this person.

sigforrooneyxu0.jpg

ÃÆââââ¬Ã¢Ã¢ââ¬Ã

Yes, Andrew (or it could have been paul) did offer lifetime membership to someone to show them how to do it (so they could counter it) unfortunatly they then perm. banned this person.

omg what scammers! you would had thought they would had been greatfull to this person.

Engl1sh.png

Engl1sh of RSAlliance

Goals Att 80 - Str 80 - Def 80 - Slayer 85

I know exactly how they did it, i was around at the time to.

autorune was a deob bot. deob bots are basically a modified version of the rs client, made to run scripts. theses scripts tell the bot what messages to send to the server.

Because of this, you can send any message to the server you want. (this is how attacking bankers happened)

Now sixfeetunder was playing around with autorune, he used it to send a 'trade 0 phats' message to the server, which got fooled into thinking there was a phat up. so really it wasnt duping. it was item creation.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin.

Someone told me that one person got away with it bymaking and alching d squares instead of phats :mrgreen:

^^^^ w00t Bristol ftw!

:lol: :lol:

Big burn on Jagex there, they stopped something that back then was worthless (compared to today..) yet they never caught that person? He probably got off scot-free with millions. Makes me really wonder if any party hats these days are real. :-k

1 thing i will enever understand...

Why did he tell anyone how he did it? because of that he made a chain reacting of people knowing it, and at the end: jagex. (they knew they were duped, not how to dupe it)

Best/latest drop list:

Rune: 18th of june 2006 [scimmy]

Other: 6th of June 2006 [3 half keys, T]

26th of june 2006 [yellow mystic hat]

untitled6kv7.gif

He told 5 fellow cheaters including kait, one other guy is g0ne. I can't remember the others. Im assuming they were all mods of kaits site. (If you found out something like that, im sure you would at least be a little tempted to tell someone, think about it). Of the 6 people who knew, one of them leaked it and everyone knew. So then there was like 20 people who knew to do it, and basically everyone else knew about it, but just couldnt do it.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Kait? As in Kaitnieks? I think what Jagex did was really lowdown and dirty though, I think I'd stopped playing when all the autoers and autorune and the dupings came round though. Hats(no pun intended lol) off to Kaits though, thats some pretty sick hacking he did.

Junkieman608.png

Someone told me that one person got away with it bymaking and alching d squares instead of phats :mrgreen:

^^^^ w00t Bristol ftw!

Makes me really wonder if any party hats these days are real. :-k

Yea they are real, cause all the duped ones got deleted.

I know exactly how they did it, i was around at the time to.

LameBotUser was a deob bot. deob bots are basically a modified version of the rs client, made to run scripts. theses scripts tell the bot what messages to send to the server.

Because of this, you can send any message to the server you want. (this is how attacking bankers happened)

Now sixfeetunder was playing around with LameBotUser, he used it to send a 'trade 0 phats' message to the server, which got fooled into thinking there was a phat up. so really it wasnt duping. it was item creation.

1. its "packets" that are sent to the server, literally hundreds everysecond.

2. no it was autorune.

And if you want my explantion of what happened, sixfeetunder was screwin with AR, and found the dupe mistakingly, so he was the one to find the dupe first of all, kaitnieks is only famous for being his friend, and creating (a bot which is censored on tipit forums to cicatrix.. lol? ) . The qoute on this post pretty much sums up what happened so read Notorious's post.

yes andrew promised free membership, and no the guy (kaitnieks) i believe didnt get it instead they both resulted in perm ban. i wish i was there for the dupe though... unfortunately i logged in about 30 minutes after it happened :$

^^ i know they are called packets, i just said messages so people here can understand :mrgreen:

lol, all bot names get censored to lamebotuser

it was AR

apparently sixfeetunder was trying to trade a scyth at the time, and was playing around with trade commands using ar. then accidently found a way to dupe. (for the less intelligent here, it wasnt 'hacking' hacking rs is impossible. All it was, was a loophole in the server. which is just something that jagex either didnt notise, or didnt think anyone would figure it out (they got caught offguard with deob bots,- modified versions of the client)

nope, the created phats were EXACTLY like normal ones. the only way to find out was the obvious- look for accounts with heaps of them, and also looking through game logs for the ar packet used.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

And if you want my explantion of what happened, sixfeetunder was screwin with AR, and found the dupe mistakingly, so he was the one to find the dupe first of all, kaitnieks is only famous for being his friend, and creating cicatrix. The qoute on this post pretty much sums up what happened so read Notorious's post.

yes andrew promised free membership, and no the guy (kaitnieks) i believe didnt get it instead they both resulted in perm ban. i wish i was there for the dupe though... unfortunately i logged in about 30 minutes after it happened :$

I think Kait is famous for alot more than just being that dude's friend, in fact, I already knew of Kaitnieks and wasn't aware of his involvement(or lack of) in the dupe.

for the less intelligent here, it wasnt 'hacking' hacking rs is impossible. All it was, was a loophole in the server. which is just something that jagex either didnt notise, or didnt think anyone would figure it out (they got caught offguard with deob bots,- modified versions of the client)

I'm actually pretty sure it would count as a hack, it was doing something that wasn't intended to be done, surely the majority of hacks are exploiting loopholes?

EDIT:I was about to post something else, but realised there was a second page to the original link about it, make sure you don't miss that like I did, got a little more info and pictures.

Junkieman608.png

^^^^ w00t Bristol ftw!

You're wrong. JaGeX can't tell the difference between a duped one and a real one.

EDIT: Oh, Notorious_Ice already covered this, didn't see that.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

^^^^ w00t Bristol ftw!

Actually its rumoured, that when you examined a duped on in rsc it said Party!!!!! Instead of Party, or something

You're wrong. JaGeX can't tell the difference between a duped one and a real one.

EDIT: Oh, Notorious_Ice already covered this, didn't see that.

I'm actually pretty sure it would count as a hack, it was doing something that wasn't intended to be done, surely the majority of hacks are exploiting loopholes?

Yeah i guess, when i posted it i was going by the fact that 99% of the people here think of hacking as what they see in the movies, when that kind of stuff can really only be done by people who REALLY know what they are doing.

I guess you could call what was done a basic hack

Sort of like when jagex first updated their new game engine, some members experienced health being taken away in splashes until they died. They claimed it was a bug.

I guess they "forgot" to mention that the players in concern got messages along the lines of "ha ha im killing you" Either they forgot, or they just didn't want to admit that some kids hacked their shiny new game engine in a couple days, after they spent 6 months on it

l33tspeak4tk.gif