Membership cards

robriggs33

One of the reasons many runescape fans aren't members is because their parents won't let them use credit cards to get membership credit on a game. A simple solution to this problem is to make membership cards that would cost about five dollars and could could be purchased at stores such as wal-mart. Once purchased, the person would enter a code on his runescape acount and receive the membership credit depending on the card they chose (one month, three months, or 1 year). This would open up the members world of runescape to many more people and allow jagex to aquire more business.

It's not the credit card that stops them, it's the thought of "wasting money" on a game. Not that good of an idea, even though it might work.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Jagex will lose more money shipping and making these cards rather than selling it. UK + US + Aussy have a LOT of stores together.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Also, I don't think Jagex intends to sell membership in stores. Their intention is not to get thousands of people playing. If that happened then all the servers would get filled up and they would have to pay out more money for even more servers. Then membership costs would rise dramatically.

I don't know anything about paying for online services or making credit cards or swipe cards, but I think Jagex would rather make a great game enjoyed by a relatively small group than a slow and laggy game played by millions.

I helped on the Black Knight's Fortress Quest Guide. Stop messaging me in game! All I did was say BKs are lvl 33, not 31!

All skills to level 30!

It's not the credit card that stops them, it's the thought of "wasting money" on a game. Not that good of an idea, even though it might work.
thats y im f2p. I like the idea, but jagex should instead use the shipping money on website advertising.

thats y im f2p. I like the idea, but jagex should instead use the shipping money on website advertising.

thats even why i'm f2p credit cards- parents= :shock: :? they think they'll get fraud. Even though i think its an ok idea jagex needs money not a really big company

Jagex isn't that big on the advertising business. Most of the people who play this game either found it by accident when searching for other games, or were told about it by friends.

Jagex isn't gonna put money towards things they don't have to (like advertising). The only thing they put money towards at this point are paychecks and Server maitenance costs. Everything else is pure profit.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

I see this as a very good idea, though Walmart may not be the route to go. A smaller market like comic-book stores would be more appropriate.

As for price, in US$, the cost of the card would have to be about 25% more than it's membership value, plus the cost of printing & distribution. I don't know how much it would take to do this, but let's make a couple assumptions. Say (for example), it costs about 10 cents per card to print, and another 25 cents per card for distribution (I'm assuming they'd be distributed in boxes). This makes the base cost of the card 5.35 for one month, or 15.35 for 3 months, or 30.35 for 6 months. Add 25% for the store, and here's what you get: 6.69 for one month, 19.19 for three months, 39.94 for six months.

What this does is put the buying power into the hands of the person wants the membership (in most cases, the child, or the adult without a credit card). The child can work to earn the necessary funds and pay cash for the membership card, without having to have their parents help pay online.

One of the comments made is the reason parents don't want to pay is because they can't justify spending $5.00 per month on a game. My challenge to this is how much per month do they spend on entertainment - cable/satelite TV, movie rentals, etc. Also, do they go to the store and purchase a game off the shelf (average price for new games is around $50.00)?

I think it's more of a case that people distrust using credit cards on the internet, especially for a game, because they fear identity theft and other problems. This is a valid concern, but using the store-bought cards (even with the higher price), you are able to remove this risk.

One final comment. Someone suggested that Jagex doesn't want more members because they would have to buy more servers. How wrong can you get?!?! Jagex is a business and they want to expand and make more money. Obviously, the cost of more servers is less than the money they earn from memberships, otherwise you'd see one of two things happening: price of membership going up, and removal of the "new membership" option from their website. Their business model is working, and working well, because they are able to expand and grow (adding servers every 2-3 months), and still be able to keep their membership cost the same.

- Sligo

MySig.jpg

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize tht what you heard is not what I meant.

nah, they said they'd pay 4 me but not with a credit card.

untitled6kv7.gif