LimeWire sued by the RIAA

zeekyhbomb

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has filed a lawsuit against Lime Group, LLC., LimeWire, LLC, Mark Gorton (CEO), and Greg Bildson (CTO). Lime Group is the umbrella company which owns the LimeWire development firm.

They have also released the IP addresses of all users.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7802.cfm

If this is against the rules, you can lock it. I just assumed that it would be okay.

rangesig.gif

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has filed a lawsuit against Lime Group, LLC., LimeWire, LLC, Mark Gorton (CEO), and Greg Bildson (CTO). Lime Group is the umbrella company which owns the LimeWire development firm.

They have also released the IP addresses of all users.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7802.cfm

If this is against the rules, you can lock it. I just assumed that it would be okay.

Ahh man, are users going to be arrested? :cry:

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

To be honest I've always supported getting rid of music pirating. Even if the RIAA is doing this for their own benefit, the end result is that music artists are being stood up for, and I appreciate that.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Torrenting going to be targeted next? They can continue to sue, but something new will always come along.

Napster->Kazaa->Limewire->Probably torrenting.

BT won't be shut down as it isn't as simple as any of the ones they have gone for - it is hundreds of people sharing tiny pieces of each file, much harder to track IP addresses too.

It was back up in a week. The fact is, it can't be regulated.

3 days :P

... Not that I visit that site.

Ahh man, are users going to be arrested? :cry:

Copyright infringement isn't a crime, it is a civil wrong. That means responsibility lies upon the victim to pursue justice. This is why the RIAA sues helpless people, children and dead people instead of getting the police to arrest them.

It is a crime, however, when people are selling copyrighted works without permission.

Here's a list of good awkward questions for the RIAA:

http://www.eff.org/IP/faq/

the end result is that music artists are being stood up for, and I appreciate that.

Whilst this particular action is not condemnable, their other actions are akin to a parent standing up for their child who is being bullied by kicking the teeth out of the other 5 year old with a steel toe-capped boot. It too is bullying, as are the RIAA's actions.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Just downloading stuff and just sharing stuff with no money involved is still just a civil wrong and what I said earlier applies - you can't get arrested but you can get sued. If you are a minor then they will try and sue you, failing that they will sue your parents.

It not being a crime does not make it okay.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Just downloading stuff and just sharing stuff with no money involved is still just a civil wrong and what I said earlier applies - you can't get arrested but you can get sued. If you are a minor then they will try and sue you, failing that they will sue your parents.

It not being a crime does not make it okay.

Ahh man...

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Suits them well. I think the thought of "they will invent something new" isn't a reason to not try and prevent it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

what if ur arn't a minor and have zero moneys? what the hell are they going to do? take away my laptop haha...

They'll cut your head off.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

what if ur arn't a minor and have zero moneys? what the hell are they going to do? take away my laptop haha...
Your parents become liable and you may have to do some juvenille hall. :|

Guest XplsvBam
take away my laptop haha...

I wouldn't put it past them.

In the US they have been suggesting teenagers drop out of college in order to pay settlements.

the funny thing is the us goverment is paying for my college...

even if i take full credit and request to be treated as an adult?

even if i take full credit and request to be treated as an adult?
According to US law anyway, the parent is responsible although there are some states where according to what crime the person may be tried as an adult. #-o

nuts, i just bought limwire pro #-o

Why buy it, when you can download it for free from LimeWire? I never saw the point. I have the newest edition, and not a dime spent.

But anywho, I don't like the fact the RIAA go after kids, and poor people. They caused 20,000 kids to go to a community college because the kid's had to pay off the debt. I know adults who are getting away with it because they aren't being targeted. I just read somewhere that a guy's family was using a sharing program, and only his son got targeted, even though they found it on the Dad's computer...

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.