Everything you ever wanted to know about... Layla

assassin_696

I'm sure most of you will have heard of the iconic 70's rock song, Layla, by Derek and the Dominos. From the instantly memorble opening riff, to the beautiful piano coda, this song's got everything.

It's also one of my favourite songs of all time, to listen to and play, and the history and detail behind this song is half of what makes it so special for me.

The history of Layla

Layla is the title track from the 1970's album, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominos. This may sound fairly obscure, but the lead guitarist fronting up Derek and the Dominos was none other than Eric Clapton, who was trying to hide from the fame his work with Cream and Blind Faith had brought him.

Clapton was going through a troubled time. He had fallen in love with a model called Patti-Boyd Harrison, wife of none other than George Harrison, his best friend. But she had turned him down, so his love was unrequited, a desperate, burning unrequited love. Not even his growing heroin addiction could numb the pain, so he channelled his energy into music. The result? Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.

The Lyrics

What'll you do when you get lonely

And nobody's waiting by your side?

You've been running and hiding much too long.

You know it's just your foolish pride.

Layla, you've got me on my knees.

Layla, I'm begging, darling please.

Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind.

I tried to give you consolation

When your old man had let you down.

Like a fool, I fell in love with you,

Turned my whole world upside down.

Chorus

Let's make the best of the situation

Before I finally go insane.

Please don't say we'll never find a way

And tell me all my love's in vain.

Fairly easy to see the unrequited love isn't it? :P

Layla itself is a song split into two movements. The first movement was composed by Eric Clapton and legendary guitarist Duane Allman. It's made up of that unmistakeable riff, moves from D minor in the chorus to C sharp minor, and features a pretty cool solo.

The second movement is a piano coda written by Jim Gordon, which he composed seperately and was begged by Clapton to use in Layla. It was originally written in a major key, and features Clapton and Allman on their slide guitars.

Clapton reworked the song for his Unplugged album, toning down the passion and fire, removing the piano coda and rewriting it for the acoustic guitar. It's a great version, but in my eyes you can't beat the original.

So enough talk, you must want to hear Layla now right?

Video of Clapton playing Layla on tour

The Unplugged Version with Mark Knopfler

These are probably the best videos i've found of this song.

If you play the electric guitar you might be interested to play the song. Again, after a fair bit of scouring the best tabbed versions of Layla for electric and acoustic respectively can be found here and here.

A few reviews

So there you have it, Layla. It might seem excessive to make an entire topic about a single song but I hope you can see that this is a fairly special song, and hits a special chord (excuse the pun) with me.

If you've found a more accurate guitar tab please let me know but that one's pretty good I think, despite it missing the solo.

So enough of me, anybody else like it?

Any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

i thought this forum made a rule against copy and pasting from wikipedia about a single topic and not even giving credit to wikipedia

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

i thought this forum made a rule against copy and pasting from wikipedia about a single topic and not even giving credit to wikipedia
Just what article did he copy from?
the entire article probably, i didnt even have to check, i just know its off of wikipedia

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

the entire article probably, i didnt even have to check, i just know its off of wikipedia

I suppose you knew it wrong then... Stop ruining this nice thread about one of the greatest songs ever.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Yea...Wikipedia doesn't generally talk from the first person...It also doesn't ask you questions...Or state opinions...Or use emoticons?

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I suppose you knew it wrong then... Stop ruining this nice thread about one of the greatest songs ever.

i just checked and it is taken off of wikipedia

yet, you didn't post a link? :-s

Oh snap yes it looks like I did use some reference points from wikipedia. It's a useful article. Do you want me cite all the other references I used?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/ ... ayla.shtml

http://www.superseventies.com/spderekdominoes.html

http://www.12bar.de/layla.php#layla

http://www.uncut.co.uk/music/eric_clapton/reviews/8542/

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6595872/layla

And I didn't copy and paste a single word. I love this song, why would I just want to copy a paste a load off wikipedia? Good lord blue, what's so hard about just appreciating a nice song and reading a bit of information about it? Are users on this forum really that critical? Yeah, I used wikipedia, I suppose you'd have me do my own independant research on the song. :roll: I scoured through all the Layla videos to find the best few, and tried out most of the guitar tabs to find the most accurate one that I could find. I verified the keys that it was written in by playing the thing. That enough for you?

Anyway...

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

ah, i just checked and its just lightly reworded off of it, you must admit that at a first glance it looks exactly like it was copied off, especially with the urls in it

EDIT: you did copy and paste and just reword it a little, was looking at wiki and noticed it