��â�š���£25 per day to drive an SUV in London

Necromagus

With regards to the hybrid 4wd, they are no better then a modern diesel and in my opioin they are made for the soccer mums.

Well who else would they be made for? If you take a look at the Lexus one that is available do you think anyone would be driving that off road? Don't know about any others.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SUV's are much less safe than normal cars, because they can tip easily.
I'll have to disagree with that statement and say the only time they roll is when the driver does something absolutely stupid in it. If you can provide me with a link proving they are capable of rolling while on the ROAD I might change my mind. But everything I hear about them rolling is related to off-road use (omg - rolling doing what they are designed to do, go off road).

Two ways to NEVER roll a 4x4 offroad:

1. Always check the track if you're unsure

2. Have someone spot you if you still have concerns.

While it might still happen, at least you can get yourself out of the situation BEFORE it happens with the above - BASIC 4x4 rules.

If you can provide me with a link proving they are capable of rolling while on the ROAD I might change my mind.

I believe Top Gear did it a while back on their test track. They were debunking the 4x4 safety myths and showed that if the car in front decides to stop suddenly and you have to violently swerve it is very easy to roll. If it wasn't Top Gear then it was one of the spinoffs, but I think it was Top Gear.

I don't have a link though.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Yeah, and they ruin the environment. SUV's are much less safe than normal cars, because they can tip easily. And how ore the Hybrid SUV's not as good as Diesel?

Diesel is better in many ways.

Diesel engines produce more down torque.

Diesel engines are better at engine breaking.

Diesel engines have cooler exhausts, reducing the risk of grass fires.

Diesels handle water crossings better, unless they get water in their air intake. I doubt the hybrids electric engine would enjoy getting wet..

Diesels have better fuel economy on the open road.

Diesels are less expensive to build, because they have 1 engine instead of 2. They would also be lighter.

Diesel is cheaper then petrol.

Diesels produce more sulfur which is beneficial to plant growth.

Diesel is less explosive then petrol

You can roll a sedan in a similar fashion as well.

I didn't read the post of his that you quoted. You did say proof that they can roll on the road though...

His post stated they roll easier than anything else.

Turning sharply in any vehicle is going to roll your car.

*shrug*

I didn't read the post of his that you quoted. You did say proof that they can roll on the road though...

*shrug*

To be fair, the higher center of gravity does make them less stable and they would roll before many cars... but like you said you would need to be driving like a idiot to do it.

*shrug*

To be fair, the higher center of gravity does make them less stable and they would roll before many cars... but like you said you would need to be driving like a idiot to do it.

It was on a car show that they did the aforementioned test regarding this. They stuck a driver in a rollcage inside a Ford Expedition and blew out the tire on it artificially. The driver just eased off the gas and took his hands totally off the wheel and the car just slowed to a halt in a straight line. No worries. He also controlled the car into the shoulder one time with no ill consequences. That stuff about SUVs rolling is partially true, but in most cases not probable.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"