All things Golf

Beamo26

So discuss anything golf here...

Okay I don't know if this is fact but I heard Tiger Woods won "Athlete" of the year. Golfers = athletes? I don't think so IMO.

Athlete: A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

But it is debatable... I would definantly classify Tiger Woods as an athlete, he's one of the best ever to play the sport if not the best, nobody in the world is even close to him right now in the world golf rankings... I wouldn't exactly classify John Daly as an athlete though, if you've seen him or know about him you probably know why :P

Golfing's hard, definately, but I don't think it really requires strenght, agility, endurance, or stuff like that.

Supermonk, proving you wrong since 1992.

Supermonk rocks, I want to have his children.

Music is like candy. You always get rid of the rapper.

So discuss anything golf here...

Okay I don't know if this is fact but I heard Tiger Woods won "Athlete" of the year. Golfers = athletes? I don't think so IMO.

Athlete: A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

But it is debatable... I would definantly classify Tiger Woods as an athlete, he's one of the best ever to play the sport if not the best, nobody in the world is even close to him right now in the world golf rankings... I wouldn't exactly classify John Daly as an athlete though, if you've seen him or know about him you probably know why :P

Golfing's hard, definately, but I don't think it really requires strenght, agility, endurance, or stuff like that.

Endurance - I played in a competition in the summer, the course was about ~5km long and took about 6 hours to play. Put that together with 20+ degrees celcius temperatures, carrying around a heavy bag and climbing up and down hills. Then you come to the making your shot part.

Agility - Possibly not, but if someone shouts "FORE!" you need to be quick on your toes. :P

Strength - This varies, older clubs are generally pieces of metal and not hollow like modern clubs. But carrying a bag around is a lot more work than you think, you can't base golf off of professionals, they have expert caddies and training equipment.

I just played a stableford and went round in 33 points. :| Not particularly great, but it shouldn't affect my handicap. It was tough out there today; high winds, boggy ground and the greens are in pretty rough state.

knkcopy.jpg

Endurance - I played in a competition in the summer, the course was about ~5km long and took about 6 hours to play. Put that together with 20+ degrees celcius temperatures, carrying around a heavy bag and climbing up and down hills. Then you come to the making your shot part.

Agility - Possibly not, but if someone shouts "FORE!" you need to be quick on your toes. :P

Strength - This varies, older clubs are generally pieces of metal and not hollow like modern clubs. But carrying a bag around is a lot more work than you think, you can't base golf off of professionals, they have expert caddies and training equipment.

I just played a stableford and went round in 33 points. :| Not particularly great, but it shouldn't affect my handicap. It was tough out there today; high winds, boggy ground and the greens are in pretty rough state.

Get a caddy 8-)

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Get a caddy 8-)

Wait you have a buggy right? You don't have one of the bags you put over your shoulders and carry around do you? If you do... Lose it, they are so bad for your game, they affect your swing, drain your energy :-X

smudgerequestredbluesigxs5.png

Check out my blog here!

Thanks Jopie211 for the sig

Ahh, what a perfect time for a Golf thread. I'm just getting into the game since playing it over in Fiji on the Denarau Golf Course (it was an awesome course). I played golf before that but only occasionally and am now going up to the driving range to practice and just played 9 holes of golf with my dad today. I'm still not good (I can drive good but can't putt to save my life or chip).

But I'm probably going to get golf lessons and update my golf set. Can anyone recommend a set of decent clubs for someone like me just getting into the game which are good. Say around $AUS300-$400 ?

Can anyone recommend a set of decent clubs for someone like me just getting into the game which are good. Say around $AUS300-$400 ?

I got my clubs second hand. Have a look in your local paper, I got a set of mizuno irons for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã50 so I'm sure you could get a set of clubs for far less than your budget. Don't think that because they're second hand means they're no good. Just look for good clubs in the adverts. Don't settle for the first set of clubs you find though =; If they're not what you want don't be pressured into buying them.

Can anyone recommend a set of decent clubs for someone like me just getting into the game which are good. Say around $AUS300-$400 ?

I got my clubs second hand. Have a look in your local paper, I got a set of mizuno irons for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã50 so I'm sure you could get a set of clubs for far less than your budget. Don't think that because they're second hand means they're no good. Just look for good clubs in the adverts. Don't settle for the first set of clubs you find though =; If they're not what you want don't be pressured into buying them.

Ok cool thanks for that. I'll give that a try. Though the only problem with that is, that I won't be able to try before I buy and won't have any expert opinion on the clubs, as apposed to if I were to go to a Golf Shop and buy them there and have a hit with them in the practice net. :(

Ok cool thanks for that. I'll give that a try. Though the only problem with that is, that I won't be able to try before I buy and won't have any expert opinion on the clubs, as apposed to if I were to go to a Golf Shop and buy them there and have a hit with them in the practice net. :(

If you find clubs that you fancy - ask the seller to hold onto them for you, then go into your local golf shop and try out the same clubs. Then, if you like them, buy them from the other person. That might work.

Ahh, what a perfect time for a Golf thread. I'm just getting into the game since playing it over in Fiji on the Denarau Golf Course (it was an awesome course). I played golf before that but only occasionally and am now going up to the driving range to practice and just played 9 holes of golf with my dad today. I'm still not good (I can drive good but can't putt to save my life or chip).

But I'm probably going to get golf lessons and update my golf set. Can anyone recommend a set of decent clubs for someone like me just getting into the game which are good. Say around $AUS300-$400 ?

I suggest going into a golf store and having a few swings with some, that's what I did for my first set, the employees there even gave me some advice on my swing ::' They also suggest the best clubs for that price etc etc, that's the way I'd do it...

Or you could get a second hand set as Green suggested ::'

smudgerequestredbluesigxs5.png

Check out my blog here!

Thanks Jopie211 for the sig

• 3 weeks later...
Just thought I should inform you all I just shot a -12 (gross) through 36 holes at the Southern Junior Championships, I'm pumped/stuffed ::' [/brag]

I shot a net -6 in a competition here. :) 41 points if you're interested.

Quick ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20 kthx.

knkcopy.jpg