ATi Radeon X1650 problem

Rhys

Hey everyone.

I recently upgraded from a Nvidia FX5200 graphics card to the ATi X1650 AGP PRO. Now, I have a few problems with this card.

Firstly, the computer now has an insanely slow boot time and sometimes, I'll log in and the screen will go completely black and will refuse to respond. Also, when I'm opening applications and switching between them, the screen will flicker black and take a few seconds to correct itself. The machine is running a lot slower than with my old card, too.

Playing games is a huge hassle, too. They will run fine with much better FPS and quality than my old card, but after around 10 minutes, the screen will go black. I can hear the game still playing but the Windows report error window will appear at some point and the game will disappear. Another thing, when I'm in the Catalyst Control Centre, the 3D preview box doesn't show anything and an error pops up saying that the Windowed Previewed Application created an error and needs to close.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, updating, rolling back to older drivers and re-seating the card. I can't figure out what is going on, so maybe some of you can. :P

Computer specs:

1GB RAM. (Can't remember the brand name)

AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.1GHz.

ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard.

Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

Try finding ATI's equivalent of RivaTuner (which is for nVidia cards - afraid I don't know what the ATI equivalent is) and looking at the card's temperature to see if it is overheating. Post the temperatures here.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I did find something yesterday which told me the temperatures.

It didn't specify which temperature was which, but they were:

Temp 1 = 45 degrees celcius.

Temp 2 = 28 degress celcius.

In my motherboard monitor, the MoBo temperature was at 28 degrees so I'm assuming the first temperature was the card. I'll see if I can find the program and check for any changes now.

Edit: Just checked, they now stand at:

Temp 1 = 41 degrees celcius.

Temp 2 = 25 degrees celcius.

What are you using to show the temperatures? Is there anything that can show a graph of how it changes over time? That could show if there's a sharp rise in temperature just before problems start occurring.

I'd also suggest you post at a more technical forum than here. You could try forums.anandtech.com or ocforums.com - both have many more experts on this subject.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I'm using ATi Tray. It's some sort of third-party software for tweaking ATi cards. There is a graph function on here. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll make a post on one of the other forums now.

http://www.driverheaven.net - you may find their cleaner useful, as there could be problems from remnants of the previous driver, especiacially having switched camps from Nvidia to ATI (bad move, I'd say), though I switched machines and had my first ATI (and first machine for some time that was not a self-build).

Next time, I'm back to Nvidia, not impressed by ATI, and quite likely back to self-build, though it means getting ripped like hell on software prices.