comet mcnaught

Militaris

I have just been outside and seen comet mcnaught. It is simply amazing, lighting up a large path through the night size. I am going to drive to a better viewing spot over the next few nights.

Here are a few photos and more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_McNaught

The best viewing would probably be from New Zealand, Southern Australia, South Africa and the tip of South America. It is worth the effort.

Well, the south has there comet, but the north has something even better, the aurora borealis. :D

True but you need to go very far north to see that.

Same to see the comet. Just not quite as far.

But I have heard of sightings in Scandinavia (Lapland, Finland to be specific), and that's probably in line with Southern New Zealand.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Lol Viktor the comet's a one off, the Aurora isn't, it's a regular thing. (right?...)

Heres a photo i took myself, it was really hard to get the settings lol. Ended up being a 20 sec exposure at 800ASA. Don't be fooled by the sky portrayed here, it was black, but because it was a 20 sec exposure it appears lighter. The trees are blury, aswell as the comet because they were moving and it was quite windy, so even with my remote the tripod moved a bit.

without further ado:

tif0tn.jpg

RM

Splatter-RM-stroke.png

"A disbelief in magic can force some poor souls into believing in authority and business"

Lol Viktor the comet's a one off, the Aurora isn't, it's a regular thing. (right?...)

Right, comets occur fairly rarely. They have hugely elliptical orbits travelling very far away from the sun and then coming very close. It's only when they get close (their perihelion) that they are visible.

The aurora are incredibly beautiful but also fairly common, simply the collision of charged electrons with other atoms and releasing energy as light.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"