Photo's galore; trip to Mogo Zoo

dark_shadow

well as some of you may know, i won a competition by naming the two new white lion cubs in sydney, australia. on the 19th peugeot paid to dly my parents and brother down to sydney, gave us a new peugeot 407 to drive down to mogo zoo (near batemans bay for you australians) we also got free accomodation worth about $300/night in an awesome hotel. so yeah.. thats the background. heres the photos!

the car

car4ej.jpg

the plane;

plane.jpg

Pictures of Tamu, the male cub

Tamu.jpg

tamu-playing.jpg

zookeeper-abd-tanu.jpg

Tamu-foreground-kito-asle.jpg

Pictures of Kito, the female cub

kito-pose.jpg

kito-walking.jpg

kito-resting.jpg

Kito-with-shoe.jpg

Tamu-face1.jpg

Tamu-face2.jpg

Zookeeper-and-Kito.jpg

Pictures of both Kito and Tamu. can you tell which is which? i can :P

tamo-and-kito-resting.jpg

tamu-and-kito-playing.jpg

Tamu-and-kito.jpg

a really nice looking stag

stag.jpg

gorgeous snow leopard pictures

snow-leopard-on-rock4.jpg

snow-leopard-on-rock2.jpg

snow-leopard-on-rock3.jpg

snow-leopard-on-rock1.jpg

snowleopard1.jpg

Red panda

red-panda.jpg

Meerkats (these guys are awesome, i love em, theyre fantastic animals to watch!)

meerkat2.jpg

meerkat.jpg

also here are some landscape pics when we went sight-seeing

416543458oe.jpg

838312260au.jpg

accomodation7bb.jpg

bridgeyroad11nn.jpg

harbourbridge6fi.jpg

operahouse2yy.jpg

i know some of these pictures arnt the best of quality, thats mostly cause i reduced teh filesizes to be uploaded etc, but oh well! ima gonna do some photomanips, me thinks

so how bad a photographer am i? :lol: note: my mum took some white lion cub pics, and so did the zookeeper, so yeah.

turtsigs2.jpeg

Featuring in my sig: TURT, ma pet turdle!

Thanks to- Runemetsa and Aijiru for two of the great sigs!

i eat lions..........nah not really they are cute little lions just think though they are going to grow into something like half the size of you and capable of eating you too death...such a waste of cuteness....

sigggyjv2.gif

Sig by me....

well the male is already 17kg at 2mnths of age, theyre already very strong, but luckily well behaved. and what do you mean half the size of a human? your kidding lol. the cubs paws are the size of my hand already. and IMO its not a waste of cuteness... but meh. its like people buying a puppy cause its "cute" and it grows up and wasnt trained properly so it gets dumped and ends up in a pound and then ends up dead. so. yeah.

but these cubs were so cool :P bottlefeeding them was fun.. lol.

turtsigs2.jpeg

the competitioon was to name the two cubs. i submitted two names and the zoo owners chose them, so i won and got to see the cubs.

we unfortunately dont get to keep the car, it was only lent to us for the three days. very nice car :D

turtsigs2.jpeg

Tamu, meaning "gentle", is the new name for the male

Kito, meaning 'precious' is the new name for the female

tamukirto8me.jpg

turtsigs2.jpeg

so how bad a photographer am i?

Now, since you asked that question, I'm going to answer that fairly critically - as always!

First off, I'm not going to comment too much on the photos that couldn't be planned. Obviously the shots of the lions and other wild life are difficult and I believe that your focal length was limited (I think I can see effects of digital zoom in one or two of them). On the whole, most the wildlife photos aren't too bad, good snap shots, but no more I believe.

However, landscapes are photos that can be planned. I don't know what camera you were using but I'm sure that there is possibly a manual or at least semi-manual mode. The next time you take the camera out you should read the instructions so you can utilise the creative functions of digital.

416543458oe.jpg

For the above image you could have straightened the horizon and if you used the manual exposure mode, you could have prevented burning out the sky by over exposing it slightly.

838312260au.jpg

In this image you have a terribly wonky horizon, which can work when shooting birds flying, this can create a sense of freedom, but with landscapes, it's best to stick to straight horizons. The good thing is, you haven't burnt out the sky so you must have metered for it on the foreground.

accomodation7bb.jpg

Burnt out sky, but I doubt you wanted critisism on that.

bridgeyroad11nn.jpg

Perfect, saturated sky - perfectly exposed too and it roughly abides to the rule of thirds. Brilliant.

harbourbridge6fi.jpg

A little busy for my liking. However, it is compositionally sound. The bridge is nicely framed by the trees and the sky is perfectly exposed. Pretty good!

operahouse2yy.jpg

I love this shot, it's a different angle of a beautiful, yet over photographed, piece of architechture. I love how the boat is the subject but is only second to the grandeur of the opera house. The sky's nicely exposed too. A postcard worthy shot.

I hope you had a great time at the zoo with your family. You have great potential photographically. Keep at it!

Please note: I have the flu at the moment and am not feeling very well, hence the short critisism on each image

awesome thanks greenslime :D i enjoy taking photos of scenery etc.. just for fun, not professionally though. with the landscape pictures with the wonky horizons, i was actually using the camera and just taking photos randomly, not actually trying to get decent ones, really. i have others, if you'd like to see them, of some nice cliffs etc.

and yeah you were correct, that definatly is the effect of digital zoom with some of the animal photos. (oh, all of the photos have been cropped as well, to make viewing easier on here)

turtsigs2.jpeg