Greatest Non-Number 1

Bubsa

In my drunken ways last night, I had a riveting good time at the Truffle Shuffle - an 80s revival night.

One of my favourite bands of the 80s was Ultravox - who some of you might know for their terrific power ballads, the principal being 'Vienna'. As fantastic as the song is and as critically acclaimed it was, it only ever reached #2. It's conquerer? 'Shaddapa yo face'. Seriously.

It got me thinking to other songs that never got to number #1. Think of 'Speed of Sound' by Coldplay being beaten by that smegging Crazy Frog.

So, here's my question to you. What songs do you know that you think: "That has to have been a number 1" - only to find it never was?

hm, good question...

Burning Love (Elvis) should've been a #1 but was outed by My Ding-A-Ling (Chuck Berry). The hell that happened I'll never know :uhh:

Talking Heads - Burning Down the House

Unfortunuatly I've got little knowledge on histories top 40 lists. :(

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Indeed. It was beaten to number #1 by Blur - Country House. I was happy with that, as a kid I always prefered Blur. I do even more now, seeing as Oasis are nothing more than a Beatles tribute band.

No matter which band you prefer, surely you have to concede that Wonderwall is a better song than Country House?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Indeed. It was beaten to number #1 by Blur - Country House. I was happy with that, as a kid I always prefered Blur. I do even more now, seeing as Oasis are nothing more than a Beatles tribute band.

No matter which band you prefer, surely you have to concede that Wonderwall is a better song than Country House?

I really don't see why everyone goes on about Wonderwall. It's really not that special.

I really don't see why everyone goes on about Wonderwall. It's really not that special.

i agree, personally i thought it was the 3rd best song on that CD. my personal opinion ofcourse

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

Wonderwall being one of the most overrated Oasis songs, is still better than Blur's entire discography as far as relevance and songwriting skill.

Except maybe 'The Universal'. That's the only Blur song I can tolerate.

ANOTHER QUALITY POST BY JAKE.

:funone:

jake on last.fm

Difference of opinion, fair enough. I suppose it does actually have a special meaning for me, which might explain my affection for it.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Yeah, fair call. Guess we just see the band in a different light.

Here's a few more examples of non chart topping greats:

Fairytale of New York is another great song which didn't make number 1. Although it lost out to Band Aid, so you can see why.

The Who - My Generation, never reached number #1 either. Kept from the top by The Seekers. The Who never got a number #1! :shock:

And perhaps most shocking of all:

Elvis - Suspicious Minds - arguably one of his greatest hits, was beaten to the top by...wait for it...

Rolf Harris - Two little boys.

i really REALLY hate coldplay but id rather listen to that than listen to crazy frog, that song sickens me

it got to #1 in australia, the shame will never go away

LOL, don't try and steal Britain's shame. Bob the Builder and Mr Blobby both made it to number one here... that's how sad we are lol.

Harrington.gif

The Who - My Generation, never reached number #1 either. Kept from the top by The Seekers. The Who never got a number #1! :shock:

If only The Who song The Seeker had been beaten to #1 by a band called My Generation, we would have some sweet irony upon which to feast.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Born to Boogie by T Rex kept off #1 by Long haired lover from liverpool (Lil Jimmie Osmond)

Poison by Alice Cooper kept off #1 by Swing the mood (Jive Bunny)

Sit down by James kept off #1 by The one and only (Chesney Hawkes)

One more time by Daft punk kept off #1 by Can't fight the moonlight (Leanne Rimes)

tattoosigva4.th.png