My "75" Top Albums

Intriguing

How2PK chose me to write this weeks list. While its a bit intimidating following the six posters before me, Ive been looking forward to making my own list as soon How2PK suggested it here. Im not much of a writer, so I havent written a huge amount about many of the albums.

As for the contents of my list, Im not writing it as a list of the best albums of all time, but as a list of albums that I enjoy, and that have influenced me. Im fairly certain that most of you will know a fair few of these artists, but hopefully therell be some new ones for you as well. :)

[hide=80. Lupe Fiascos Food & Liquor Lupe Fiasco]lupe-fiasco-food-liquor.jpg

One of my favourite Hip-Hop artists. One thing that has turned me off certain Hip-Hop in the past is the excessive bravado of many of the artists, but that is something that is completely lacking with Lupes music. Overall catchy beats and brilliantly flowing rhymes. This album would be a particularly good starting point for someone who isnt into Hip-Hop and wants to listen to it. The highlight of this album is Daydreamin.[/hide]

[hide=79. Of Malice and the Magnum Heart Misery Signals]album-of-malice-and-the-magnum-heart.jpg

Certainly one of the most original Metalcore bands Ive ever come across, and this is their best record in my opinion. I suppose Progressive would be the term for this album, but it doesnt have the ego or the pretentious [bleep]ery that tends to accompany other bands of the same genre. Overall this is a fantastic album, with an appropriate combination of fast-moving melodic lines and chugging riffs. One word of advice though: avoid the final track. The highlight of this album is Worlds and Dreams.[/hide]

[hide=78. Everything All the Time Band of Horses]bandofhorses.jpg

Fairly simple Indie/Southern Rock with beautiful vocal melodies. The highlight of this album is St. Augustine.[/hide]

[hide=77. Addicts and Drunks Ghosts and Vodka]357tu.jpg

Ghosts and Vodka were a fantastic instrumental Math Rock group who unfortunately only recorded one EP and one full-length album. The two were combined after their disbandment to make Addicts and Drunks. Despite the immense technical prowess of the musicians, this album does have a tendency to get a bit old and repetitive after a while. However, it is still a fantastic album in its own right. One thing thats always impressed me about this band is how the two guitar parts are in such a partnership with one another, as epitomised in Futuristic Genitalia.[/hide]

[hide=76. Terminate Damnation Becoming the Archetype]album-terminate-damnation.jpg

This band is sort of in the same boat as Misery Signals for me, only more aggressive. This album has a very epic feel about it, not only in the individual songs, namely Elegy: Deception/Lament/Triumph, but also as an entire album. Despite genre-switching, as in March of the Dead and Nights Sorrow, this album flows perfectly. Also, despite holding a Death Metal tag, I imagine this album would still be accessible to someone who has yet to listen to the heavier sub-genres of metal.[/hide]

[hide=75. Lie Down in the Light Bonnie Prince Billy]bonnie.jpg

Hopefully youve already listened to Bonnie Prince Billy from How2PKs list, but if not, here he is again. To be honest, I dont think it really matters which one of Will Oldhams albums or projects you start with; I havent found anything of his that I havent liked. Playing a sort of Folk/Alt-Country, Oldham possesses a fantastic, distinctive voice. Fairly simple music in terms of structure, but the harmonies between Oldham and the guest vocalists are what makes this music really magical, as exemplified in Ill Be Glad.[/hide]

[hide=74. Largo Winch Official Soundtrack Alexandre Desplat]largo-winch2008soundtrack.jpg

One of my favourite soundtracks. This album is also fairly unique among soundtracks in that, in many cases there is actually a fair amount of movement musically, but it is still perfect for background music. Alexandre Desplat seems to be able to get the perfect balance between repetition and new material, with the exception perhaps of Korsky. The highlight here is Dimna Yudda.[/hide]

[hide=73. Heroine From First to Last]dba9d5e0532c7ee9cdd27ac42a0c00f7.jpg

Even if Post-Hardcore isnt your scene, I wouldnt be too quick to write off this album, though it is probably the only decent record this band has ever released. The vocalist really makes this album, not so much in terms of technical ability, but in terms of the intensity of the vocals, and the emotion conveyed. In addition, many of the tracks have incredibly addictive melodies, such as Mothersound and Heroine.[/hide]

[hide=72. Gloria Satanæ Arkha Sva]img_1_pr.jpg

This album might be lost in a sea of mediocre Black Metal releases were it not for the vocals; after 22 seconds of listening to the standout track, 49 Evil Spirits, youll know what Im talking about. However, even aside from the vocals, this is a very good album in its own right. The melodies are fantastic and addictive, and the musicianship far beyond average for Black Metal standards. That said, I wouldnt recommend this album to anyone who wasnt already a fan of Black Metal.[/hide]

[hide=71. Undeceived Extol]13_05_02_2008_7_05_53_extolcent.jpg

Melodic Death Metal that somehow manages to retain its intensity and heaviness. This album has been a favourite of mine ever since I got into metal a good five years ago. The musicianship in this album is impressive, but not to the extent that the musicians are showing off. There are quite a few stand-out tracks in this album, but the most exceptional would have to be Time Stands Still.[/hide]

[hide=70. Give Up The Postal Service]postal.jpg

A very good Indie Pop album from Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie and Jimmy Tamborello. Gibbard has been for a while one of my favourite lyricists, and while his abilities are perhaps more evident in Death Cab for Cutie, they still shine through in this album. Fantastic vocals with catchy beats. The highlight of this album for me is Nothing Better, with guest vocals by Jen Wood.[/hide]

[hide=69. I Remember Charlie Parker Joe Pass]71549.jpg

Again, I dont think it really matters what recording of Joe Passs you start with; theyre all fantastic. This album is performed entirely by Pass on solo guitar, and his use of counterpoint while improvising on simple melodies is incredible. The highlight of this album is Summertime.[/hide]

[hide=68. Abgzvoryathre Moëvöt]Moevot+-+Abgzvoryathre+(1993).JPG

This album has nothing on Aäkon Këëtrëhs Dans La Forêt, but it is still a fantastic album. As with any Les Légions Noires release, the production quality is sub-par to say the least, but thats all part of the charm of this album. Dont expect a standard Black Metal album, as this is anything but. The musical movements in this album are all very minimalistic, and it presents an ominous atmosphere through use of discords and displeasing timbres. One of my favourite Dark Ambient records, though it is a bit of an acquired taste I would say. My favourite piece on this record is Zurghtapre - Chant d'Eternité I.[/hide]

[hide=67. The Mechanical Hand HORSE the Band]album-the-mechanical-hand.jpg

Nintendocore! Honestly, thats about all I have to say about this band. The music is very fast-moving, intense, and fun. The thing that obviously makes this band stand out is that their keyboardist attempts to emulate the sounds of an 8-bit game, and surprisingly, it works really well. Very accessible music, and it has been a favourite of mine for a while. The standout track on this record is Lord Gold Throneroom.[/hide]

[hide=66. When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That S**t Gold Atmosphere]atmosphere%20lemons%20cover.jpg

The beats in this album are quite good, but nothing overly standout. The thing that really makes this album fantastic is Slugs rhymes, in particular his storytelling and use of metaphors. Slugs words have an incredible flow about them, and his use of twists at the end of some of the songs, such as Yesterday and The Waitress make his lyrics even more engaging. A great album for someone new to Hip-Hop.[/hide]

[hide=65. Meds Placebo]Placebo-Meds.jpg

A very tops Alternative Rock album in its own right. I dont think I need to do much explaining; most people know about Placebo. For me, the things that make this album are Molkos distinctive vocals, the addictive melodies, and the incredible build-ups within songs, as is exemplified in the title track. Another thing that strikes me is the interconnectedness of the music and the lyrics. Two examples of this are, again, the title track, Meds, and also In the Cold Light of Morning. I suppose its not too uncommon for the atmosphere conveyed in music to match the lyrics, but theres just something spectacularly accurate about how Placebo do it.[/hide]

[hide=64. [bleep] Laude! The Velvet Teen]B000FWHVKU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64798611_.jpg

Schizophrenic drum beats, distorted vocals, and synthesizers. This album is a bit on-and-off for me. Some of the songs are mediocre, and then some are absolutely incredible. However, on the whole, this is a very solid album. Indie Rock with elements of Math Rock and Electronica, however, it lacks some of the inapproachability that is present in a lot of Math Rock. The only thing I would say is that in some parts the bassist lets the rest of the musicians down with very unimaginative playing. The standout track is Tokyoto.[/hide]

[hide=63. More Deep Cuts Thee More Shallows]More_Deep_Cuts-Thee_More_Shallows_480.jpg

This band is somewhat of a mix between Xiu Xiu and Grandaddy, with whispery vocals, down-tempo music, synthesizers, and an overall experimental feel. Thee More Shallows also has the ability to create a magnificent build-up in a song without really doing anything, as is exemplified in 2am.[/hide]

[hide=62. Showtime Dizzee Rascal]Showtime-Dizzee_Rascal_480.jpg

One of my favourite Hip-Hop albums, but the annoying thing is I have difficulty explaining why. Although Dizzees fast-paced rhymes themselves would make this a great album, there is just something about his grimey beats that just makes me feel like buying a suped-up yellow Subaru and driving around at night with the bass up really high. Because no one has ever thought of doing that before.. The standout track is Respect Me.[/hide]

[hide=61. Transformalin Diagnose]Diagnose%20Lebensgefahr%20-%20Transformalin.jpg

The album that introduced me to Dark Ambient. This was written by Nattramn of Silencer during his stay in a mental institution, and he was apparently encouraged to do so by the staff of the Växjö Psychiatric Ward as therapy. Whether or not I believe the story I dont know, but either way this is an incredibly disturbed and haunting record. Ive found that the best way to listen to this album is sitting down in a pitch-black room with either headphones or a surround-sound system and just soaking in the atmosphere. At least, thats worked for me. Obducentens Dröm is the standout track for me.[/hide]

[hide=60. Theogonia Rotting Christ]07_theogonia.jpg

Who knew there was such a thing as Melodic Black Metal! Well, apparently there is, and Rotting Christ do an incredible job at it. The operative word for this album is epic, with powerful choruses and a chorus of vocalists chanting spread throughout the album. There are some distinctive Middle-Eastern influences, which makes this album even more interesting. The standout track is Keravnos Kivernitos.[/hide]

[hide=59. Breathing is Irrelevant Ion Dissonance]400x400.aspx

Incredibly technical, heavy Mathcore. Although it is perhaps not as accessible as their later records, Breathing is Irrelevant has always impressed me in the way that just listening to it affects my way of thinking, making it more chaotic and depressive. Many people say that their mood is easily affected by what music they listen to, but music has never had that effect on me (except making me happy), so for me to say that is something. An overall incredible record. The highlight of this album is The Girl Next Door is Always Screaming.[/hide]

[hide=58. V / Halmstad Shining]Shining_-_Halmstad.jpg

Depressing and incredibly emotional Black Metal from Sweden. I cant say Id ever want to go to one of their concerts, but Shining produce some fantastic music, and their instrumental prowess is above average for a Black Metal band. The best thing about this album for me is Kvarforths vocals, in particular in Besvikelsens Dystra Monotoni (listen to 4:05 to 4:20).[/hide]

[hide=57. Iter Facere Pilotdrift]pilotdrift.gif

Immensely underrated Indie Rock, though I prefer the tag Cinematic Rock. What I mean by that is that whenever I listen to this band I feel as if Im watching a stage production. Theres not much I can say about this band, you sort of just need to listen to them. The standout tracks for me are Dancing Bear and Elephant Island.[/hide]

[hide=56. Sonata in G Minor for Violin and Piano, Op. 1, No. 4, 'The Devil's Trill Giuseppe Tartini]download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzkwNTg3QGZzMTIudGlzdG9yeS5jb206L2F0dGFjaC8wLzExLmpwZw%3D%3D

I know, I know, its not an album, but I figured this list needed some Western Art Music.

The story behind "Devil's Trill" starts with a dream. Tartini allegedly told the French astronomer Jérôme Lalande that he dreamed that The Devil appeared to him and asked to be his servant. At the end of their lessons Tartini handed the devil his violin to test his skillthe devil immediately began to play with such virtuosity that Tartini felt his breath taken away. When the composer awoke he immediately jotted down the sonata, desperately trying to recapture what he had heard in the dream. Despite the sonata being successful with his audiences, Tartini lamented that the piece was still far from what he had heard in his dream. What he had written was, in his own words: "so inferior to what I had heard, that if I could have subsisted on other means, I would have broken my violin and abandoned music forever."

This is a piece that I started learning on the violin, and then gave up when I saw the cadenza in the fourth movement. Ill learn it one day.. maybe. The standout movement in this is the fourth movement, Allegro Assai.[/hide]

[hide=55. Burzum Burzum]angra.jpg

The album that got me into Black Metal. When I first played it in my house, my mum asked That guys joking, right? and I was of a similar attitude. However, after two or so additional listens, this album really grew on me. There is something incredible about Vargs savage screams, and the overt simplicity of the music. In particular, the Winter side (tracks 5-9) is amazing. This is really the only album Id recommend to someone who hadnt listened to Black Metal before and wanted to get into it. The standout track is War.[/hide]

[hide=54. Mirrored Battles]battles%20mirrored.jpg

Incredible Math Rock album, but that tag doesnt do it justice. Its hard to pin this band down to one genre, as Ive never heard anything even remotely similar to them. I cant say Ive been anything but impressed with this band, and watching videos of them performing live has only helped that along. Amidst working with computers to create loops as they perform, they seem to try to make everything as difficult as possible for themselves, just to prove that theyre that talented. This really is a fantastic album, and I look forward to future released from them. The standout track is Lleyendecker.[/hide]

[hide=53. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea Neutral Milk Hotel]amanda-palmer-in-aeroplane.jpg

Yet another album that I really cant explain why I like. I get the impression that this is a love/hate sort of album, perhaps particularly due to Jeff Magnums vocals. I really cant say too much, the vocals are great, the instrumentation is even better, and the lyrics are genius. Just.. listen to it.[/hide]

[hide=52. Happy Songs for Happy People Mogwai]Happy%20Songs%20For%20Happy%20People-Mogwai_480.jpg

Probably the best Post-Rock band in the world, or at the very least, one of. Whether or not this is their best album, I dont know, but its the one thats always stood out to me, particularly because of Hunted by a Freak. I Know You Are But What Am I? is another great one; as for the melody of the song, it is simply repeating the same simple motif over and over for over five minutes, and yet it somehow manages to be beautiful and absolutely captivating. I know thats not uncommon in that a lot of Post-Rock is based on repetition of motifs and slowly building up a piece, but Mogwai is just a step above the rest.[/hide]

[hide=51. The Witcher Official Soundtrack Pawe? B?aszczak & Adam Skorupa]witchercover.jpg

It seems only fitting; a very good soundtrack for a very good game. I dont think the composers made any wrong moves with this album, and Pawe? B?aszczaks works are particularly good. The standout track is Elaine Ettariel.[/hide]

[hide=50. Versions Poison the Well]Versions.jpg

A severely underrated album amongst Poison the Wells fans in my opinion. I loved this album the instant I heard it. It retains all the anger and intensity of the previous albums, but with more refined musicality, and a cleaner sound, all the while having fantastic melodies. I absolutely love Jeffrey Moreiras vocals on this record. The standout tracks are Nagaina and You Will Not be Welcomed.[/hide]

[hide=49. Paegan Terrorism Tactics Acid Bath]AcidBath-PaeganTerrorismTac.jpg

Really good, though underrated, Sludge Metal. The music goes from Southern Rock to classic headbanging riffs to slower, acoustic pieces, and then to something thats just plain creepy (Old Skin). The lyrics in this album are somewhat disturbing, but perhaps that just adds to the charm. Overall a very enjoyable album from a band that deserves more credit than they get. The highlight of the album is Dead Girl.[/hide]

[hide=48. Celestial Isis]03_Celestial.jpg

I dont think Ive really listened to anything from this group that I havent enjoyed yet, but this seems to be the album I listen to most. Isis are pretty well the band I automatically go to if I want something like Post-Rock but heavier. I guess its no surprise that theyre generally tagged as Post-Metal then.. Generally down-tempo music with heavily distorted and repetitive riffs that focuses on build-ups through minimalistic changes; nothing really out of the ordinary, but they just do it so goddamn well.[/hide]

[hide=47. Damnation Opeth]opeth+-+damnation+%5B2003%5D.jpg

I really enjoy this album. Thats not to say I dont like the heavier albums of Opeth either, but I always love it when a band is able to show incredible diversity, such as this. Mostly down-tempo, moderately depressing Progressive Rock without the progressive [bleep]ery. Åkerfeldts vocals really shine through in this album, particularly in the haunting final track, Weakness.[/hide]

[hide=46. Justice]justice_cross_cover.jpg

I dont proclaim to know much about electronic music, but in my opinion, this is exactly how it should be made. Im also not much of a dancer, but if this were playing, then I might reconsider that. This is really a great album with very catchy melodies and very, very danceable beats, and it was, along with number 25 on the list (no skipping ahead!), the album that started me enjoying electronic music. The highlight of this album is Genesis.[/hide]

[hide=45. Horses in the Sky A Silver Mt. Zion]600px-Horses_in_the_Sky_album_cover.jpg

Perhaps another love/hate album, again due to the vocals. Myself, I love the vocals, particularly in Teddy Roosevelts Guns, but I can see why others may beg to differ. Very minimalistic and repetitive in pretty well every aspect aside from the lyrics, and true to the Post-Rock style, the build-ups are fantastic. This album would be perfect if there werent so many scratchy noises coming from the violins.[/hide]

[hide=44. Pink Moon Nick Drake]NickDrakePinkMoon.jpg

Its funny to see how little the genre Folk has changed since the 70s. Theres not a lot going on musically in this album, but that simplicity allows us to focus on Drakes superb and very distinctive vocals. In fact, pretty well everything about this album is very simple, but it never becomes boring. The highlight of the album is the title track, Pink Moon.[/hide]

[hide=43. Ænima Tool]tool_aenima.jpg

I dont think Id be able to post this list without at least giving Tool a mention. This album is perhaps not as intricate as their later works, but what really grabs me with it is the raw anger, particularly in songs such as Hooker With a Penis. Everyone already knows Tool, so I dont think Ill bother saying too much more.[/hide]

[hide=42. Sahara Swing Karl Hector & the Malcouns]sahara_swing.jpg

Fantastic Funk group who released an album on Stones Throw Records, who produced number 13 on the list. I cant say I really know a huge amount about the group as they dont seem to be too well known at the moment. I would recommend this album even to someone who knew absolutely nothing about Funk, as is the case with me. This is a really fantastic album which produces a great atmosphere. The standout track is the title track, Sahara Swing.[/hide]

[hide=41. Souvenirs dun Autre Monde Alcest]alcest.jpg

Former Black Metal project turned Shoegaze project from Neige of Peste Noire. Heavily distorted guitars, simple drums, and serene, resonant vocals are fairly constant throughout this album. The fourth track, Ciel Errant seems to be lacking some of the awesome-juice, but aside from that, this is a really great album, and it is about as far away from Peste Noire as you could probably get. The title track is by far the highlight of this album.[/hide]

[hide=40. Jesu Jesu]album-jesu.jpg

Post-Metally, Shoegazey, Experimentally music. This is a very interesting album though, as it is fairly heavy, but it maintains simple, pleasant melodies that would be typical of much lighter music. The music itself is great, but nothing much to make it stand out from other Post-Rock/Metal bands. What I really love about this album are the clean, resonating vocals. That extra layer of music and melody adds so much to the music. The highlights of this album are Friends Are Evil and Sun Day.[/hide]

[hide=39. Kala M.I.A.]mia-kala.jpg

Really, really fantastic beats in this album. The vocals are quite good, but its really the beats that make it. The vocals, however do stand out in 20 Dollar.[/hide]

[hide=38. Hell Songs Daughters]hell_songs.jpg

Mathcore/Noise filled to the brim with discordance and randomness a lot of intensity. God, I love Alexis Marshall on this album. The vocals are just so good. The sound of Elvis Presley being tortured is about right. Daughters Spelled Wrong and Hyperventilationsystem are the highlights of this album.[/hide]

[hide=37. New American Gospel Lamb of God]post-421039-1145403824.jpg

I cant say I support this bands recent musical endeavours, but this is a very tops album. I absolutely love Randys vocals in this album. The entire thing is so packed full of raw anger which is something that seems to be lacking from Lamb of Gods later releases. There are also some incredible riffs in this album. How you could not want to headbang to Black Label or O.D.H.G.A.B.F.E. is beyond me.[/hide]

[hide=36. Misery is a Butterfly Blonde Redhead]misery_is_a_butterfly-blonde_redhead_4801.jpg

Kazu Makino has one of the most distinctive voices in Indie Rock today, and it is just so cool. The guitar work and drumming is fairly simple and self-explanatory, but there is definitely a charm in that simplicity. Doll is Mine is the highlight of this album.[/hide]

[hide=35. 808s and Heartbreaks Kanye West]kanye_808s_cover.jpg

Terrible, terrible lyrics, even from the guest artists, but Kanye has never been much of a rapper. Despite that, the melodies are incredible, and the beats are even better. Maybe the album would be better if Kanye hummed everything. That said, it is overall a really great, very catchy album, but please, for the love of God, dont listen to the final track.

When I grab your neck,

I touch your soul.

Standing at my podium,

Im trying watch my sodium.

Die high blood pressure,

You even let the Feds getcha.

[/hide]

[hide=34. The Last Romance Arab Strap]275-the-last-romance.jpg

I didnt even know Sadcore was a genre, but Im glad it is. Arab Strap have a very distinctive style, the vocals being a dead giveaway. I dont think you could even really call it singing for the most part, but that seems to work with the semi-storytelling thing thats going on, very sexually-based storytelling at that. There are some really incredible tracks on this album, in particular Stink and Confessions of an Older Brother.[/hide]

[hide=33. Blue Screen Life Pinback]015_Full_Cover.jpg

Indie Rock/Pop with fun melodies and well-intertwined instrumental parts showcasing the bands musical prowess, which is unexpectedly high for an Indie group. The vocals are fantastic, so is the guitar work, and the songwriting is even better. The entire album keeps to a high standard with a few standout tracks, one in particular being Penelope.[/hide]

[hide=32. Le Sacre du Printemps (Rite of Spring) Igor Stravinsky]stravinsky.jpg

Again, not exactly an album, but I dont think anyones even reading these descriptions so thats okay. If you though Dream Theatre were being tools showing off their speedy time signature changes you should have a look at this. There is immense use of dissonance, unpredictable rhythms, and so many other musical techniques I cant even be bothered trying to mention them. The thing I really love about this work is the interconnectedness of all the different parts, particularly when it is showcased through call and response. The highlight of this work is in the first section, Rondes Printaniers, Tranquillo, but you really have to listen to the entire thing.[/hide]

[hide=31. Im Wide Awake, Its Morning Bright Eyes]bright-eyes-im-wide-awake-this-morning-album-cover.jpg

Conor Oberst may be a tad overrated, but this is a very good album. Hes not exactly the worlds best singer, but his voice does have its appeal, and the songwriting and lyricism in this album is quite fantastic. The standout tracks on this album are At the Bottom of Everything and First Day of My Life.[/hide]

[hide=30. Leviathan Mastodon]15777129_leviathanwf3.jpg

You just know something is going to be cool if its a concept album about Moby [bleep]. And its written by a Mastodon. But in all seriousness, this is an incredible album, and one of my favourite Metal records. The guitar work is very impressive, the drumming is solid, and the singer is.. not really singing, but hes still very good. Another thing that makes this album impressive is that there arent really any songs that let it down. However, Seabeast in particular is a fantastic song.[/hide]

[hide=29. FutureSex/LoveSounds Justin Timberlake]jt.jpg

I really didnt care much for Justins debut, but this album is something else. Apparently he was motivated by the sad state of the pop radio and dismissed the idea of doing something that would sound alike. Well, Im very glad he was motivated, because this is easily one of the best Pop albums Ive ever heard. The beatbox beats he has going on for most of the album could have so easily been a terrible mistake, but they manage to work really well. You also really cant listen to this album and deny Justin has a magnificent voice. So, whats the appropriate word to describe this album? Sex.[/hide]

[hide=28. Unhallowed- The Black Dahlia Murder]486719.jpg

Really lame lyrics in this album, but the music is incredible. Another Melodic Death Metal band, but they still manage to have some power in their music, which is more than the likes of Children of Bodom can say. This band has thought of some really incredible riffs in this album. The drumming is just what youd hoped for, and the dual vocals work surprisingly well. This was one of the first metal bands I really got into, and theyd probably be a good band to start with if you hadnt touched the heavier side of metal yet. I cant even pick a top song though, theyre all so good.[/hide]

[hide=27. Internal Wrangler - Clinic]large_2329485e42d2444fa569c36a7fe0e4e9.jpg

You can certainly listen to enough of Clinic, as they havent made any drastic changes to their style in 12 years of playing. However, when listening to them in small amounts (no more than one album a day), this band is freaking awesome. As the moment I think Im most fond of their debut full-length, Internal Wrangler. Its kind of hard to describe this band, theyre so unique. Fairly fast-moving Indie music, with distinctive vocals organs (though not so much the praise you Jesus organs as the vintage ones). Particularly listen out for Distortions.[/hide]

[hide=26. Satanica - Behemoth]1061.JPG

This album marks the turning point of Behemoth from Black Metal to Blackened Death Metal. Im not sure whether its their best album, but I love it because it still retains the rawness of their earlier works, but with the heaviness of their later works. Its a lot more unrefined than their later albums, but over-editing music has a habit of taking away the emotion from it anyway. Absolutely fantastic album and band. The highlight of this album is Ceremony of Shiva.[/hide]

[hide=25. Classics - Ratatat]677838eef7b757ee8787a11d4e633544_web.jpg

I guess youd describe Ratatat as Instrumental Electronic Indie.. with little bits of awesome juice here and there. This is a really great album. The melodies are so happy and fun, the beats are good, and the way the instruments work together is incredible. Again, it does get a little old after a while, but its great while it lasts. The highlights of this album are Montanita and Lex.[/hide]

[hide=24. To the Nameless Dead - Primordial]7c33a170d98f878f3c38d1c08ea13b30_full.jpg

Apparantly this is Black metal, but Im not really hearing it. Then again, who cares about what genre it is. This is really awesome music. I was absolutely in love with it after hearing about 20 seconds of the first track, and it remained that way for the entire album. The band has something incredible going, in that in some of the songs theres not even much musical progression, and the songs arent exactly short, but you never want them to end. This is particularly true of the opening track Empire Falls.[/hide]

[hide=23. Brilliant Corners Thelonious Monk]7115e8c351ec62c2f66a0df9e229d04e.jpg

I really dont know much about Jazz, so its hard for me to talk about why I love this album, but it is just so good. The atmosphere is brilliant, the instrumentation and musicianship of the players is even better. I dont think there is a bad thing about this album. In particular listen to the title track, Brilliant Corners.[/hide]

[hide=22. Six Litanies for Heliogabalus John Zorn]51aknHUQSbL._SS500_.jpg

I couldnt live with myself if I didnt put John Zorn on the list, and at the moment, this is my favourite of his recordings. This is the first of the Moonchild recordings to feature Zorn playing, and it just adds so much to it. That said, this album would be able to hold its own if the entire thing was just Mike Pattons vocals. Zorn and Patton fully explore the capabilities of the human voice, particularly in the standout track, Litany IV. Accessible is not a word I would use to describe this album, but it will certainly challenge the way you think about music.[/hide]

[hide=21. Dear Science, - TV on the Radio]News4_1.jpg

I had a lot of trouble figuring out whether I should put Dear Science, or Return to Cookie Mountain on the list. In the end it doesnt matter, theyre both incredible albums. TV on the Radio is a really difficult band to describe. Theyre Indie, but with elements of soul and funk and other things. Also, based on the accounts of some of my friends who have seen them pefrom, I would freaking kill to see them life. The highlight of this album is Halfway Home.[/hide]

[hide=20. Ys Joanna Newsom]ys.jpg

Bit of an unusual voice, so I can see her being a love/hate artist. However, if youre in the lucky few that see the beauty in her voice, this is a must-have record. The songs are all fairly long, and all feel like a chapter of a childrens book. Her lyrics are eloquent, but seem somewhat spontaneous. Did I mention she plays the harp? The highlight of this album is Only Skin.[/hide]

[hide=19. Internal Travels Gravenhurst]gravenhurstinternal_cover.jpg

The debut album of this group, and severely underrated at that. The majority of this album is based almost entirely around finger-picked guitar work and Talbots haunting vocals. I cant say Im a huge fan of their two latest releases, but Internal Travels is definitely worth a listen or seven. If you can get your hands on it, that is. The highlight of this album is The High Seas.[/hide]

[hide=18. Fearless Taylor Swift]taylor-swift-fearless-album.jpg

I love this girl. Her lyrics may represent a one-track mind, and there are definitely some sub-par sections in this album, but I think it deserves a lot more credit than it gets (Im talking about amongst music-lovers that arent teenage girls). Swifts vocals could display a wider pitch range, but are still fantastic and pure. The melodies are what really make this album though. The highlight of the album is Love Story.[/hide]

[hide=17. For Emma, Forever Ago Bon Iver]album-for-emma-forever-ago.jpg

What an absolutely incredible album this is. I dont know how you could not fall head-over-heels in love with Vernons voice after hearing this album. The music is simple and effective, giving off an atmosphere that makes you want to haul off into a log cabin surrounded only by forest and snow, as you drink hot chocolate around a wood fire, listening to this album over and over. The vocals are definitely what makes this album though, especially in the standout opening track, Flume.[/hide]

[hide=16. The Eraser Thom Yorke]The-eraser.jpg

The solo project of Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke. This is really a great album. The beats/music are/is fairly simple, making Yorkes incredible voice the main aspect of this album. And boy, does he show it off. My personal favourite is Atoms for Peace. This is one of those albums that you just have to listen to yourself.[/hide]

[hide=15. Hold Your Horse Is - Hella]hella%2B-%2Bhold%2Byour%2Bhorse%2Bis.jpg

Fantastic instrumental Math Rock album. The musicianship of these two is absolutely incredible. But while Seims guitar work is admirable, Hills fast-paced, schizophrenic drumming alone makes this album. They really dont make a wrong move with this album, and the perfect combination of order and stochasticity in terms of the rhythmic and melodic motifs has been something that has always impressed me about this album. The highlight track is 1800-Ghost-Dance.[/hide]

[hide=14. Neon Bible Arcade Fire]NeonBible_poster.jpg

Same story as with Dear Science,, I really wasnt sure which album to pick, but this is the one I seem to have listened to the most. Ive liked the Arcade Fire ever since my brother showed them to me. Im not really sure whether or not Arcade Fire is all that original or unique, but Ive never found a band similar to them. Or maybe its just because Arcade Fire does such a good job with their music that theyre in a league of their own. Either way, this is definitely an album to check out, in particular My Body is a Cage.[/hide]

[hide=13. Madvillainy - Madvillain]madvillainy.jpg

This album has been the standout Hip-Hop record for me ever since I heard it. There are a variety of reasons for that, but a main one is that it possesses what few other Hip-Hop albums possess: musical direction. There are a few tracks that annoy the hell out of me because of the samples, but those little inconveniences pale in insignificance when put next to the otherwise incredible beats of Madlib. Even better than the beats though, is the rapping. MF Dooms flow and rhymes are just absolutely incredible. Dont take my word for it though, listen to Figaro or Fancy Clown and youll get an idea yourself. There are so many highlights to this album, you kind of just need to listen to it.[/hide]

[hide=12. Into the Dark Forest... - Elffor]Elffor+-+Into+The+Dark+Forest+(1998).jpg

Atmospheric Black Metal comprised solely of synthesizers and vocals; its really surprising how full the texture of the music is. The music is driven by epic melodies and backed by ambient soundscapes. I dont even really know why, but I absolutely adore the vocals on this album. Theyre just so incredibly original. But then again, this entire album is just so incredibly original and its also pulled off well. The highlight of the album is Frostfog.[/hide]

[hide=11. Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? of Montreal]Of_Montreal_Hissing_Fauna__Are_You_the_Destroyer__Polyvinyl.jpg

I dont really care about the whole turning-into-a-transsexual concept going on in this album, I more just listen to the music. And it is very good music at that. This album is packed full of over-the-top fun melodies and rich vocal harmonies, backed by about 17 other instrumental lines. This album really never gets old, and even the very repetitive 12-minute track, The Past is a Grotesque Animal is an adventure that you dont want to end. Another very original band and album, and the vocals are just amazing. The highlight of the album is We Were Born the Mutants Again With Leafling.[/hide]

[hide=10. Baal Shem]30386-004-5F4D6B08.jpg

This is definitely not an album, but its too good not to include. You dont have to be a connoisseur of Western Art Music to be able to appreciate this. These three pieces of music are probably the most emotion-filled pieces of music I have ever heard. A must-listen.[/hide]

[hide=9. Hell is Empty, and All the Devils Are Here Anaal Nathrakh]attachment.php?attachmentid=18168&d=1211854347

The heavier the better is a rationale not common to those who know anything about music, but it seems to work surprisingly well for this band. This is probably the heaviest music Ive found that still retains significant musicianship. The instrumentation is really good on all of Anaal Nathrakhs releases, but this one in particular. And I know Im sounding a bit like a broken record, but the highlight of this album is definitely the vocals. Dave Hunt is easily my favourite metal vocalist, and Shatter the Empyrean should be reason enough for that. Absolutely fantastic album.[/hide]

[hide=8. Piano Sonata No. 2, Concord, Mass., 1840-60 Charles Ives]ives.jpg

Sort of hard for me to explain, but I really love Ives piano sonatas. I have a tendency to listen to his first sonata more, but this one has always impressed me in the way that he takes predictable, well-known melodies, and twists them into something completely different, all the while keeping the original melody easily recognizable. My favourite work for piano. In particular listen to The Alcotts.[/hide]

[hide=7. Dans La Forêt Aäkon Këëtrëh]Aakon+Keetreh.JPG

Another Les Légions Noires Dark Ambient release with a lot of similarities to Moëvöt , except Aäkon Këëtrëh is a lot better. This album is really incredible. Somehow, even with the entirely minimalistic approach to this album, in terms of instrumentation, melodic and rhythmic motifs, and production, I remain completely captivated whenever I listen to it. I would assume that most people would write this off as junk after hearing a few seconds of it, but that would be a flagrant mistake.[/hide]

[hide=6. Annihilation of the Wicked - Nile]1238849445_05_annihilation_of_the_wicked.jpg

Technical Death Metal and classic Middle Eastern Music. What a combination. Nile is a stunningly original band who are, rightly so, at the forefront of modern Death Metal. This is probably also the first Metal recording on this list where my favourite thing about it isnt the vocals. The guitar work is very impressive, the drumming precise and insanely fast, and the melodies and timbres chosen just make this album perfection. So freaking epic.[/hide]

[hide=5. Elliott Smith Elliott Smith]smiith_rel_15.jpg

This album is about as far away from the former as you could possibly get. The majority of Smiths self-titles, second full-length album is simply vocals and an acoustic guitar, and that simplicity is part of what makes it amazing. With nothing else to focus on, the emphasis is on Smiths whispery, spiderweb-thin vocals, which I absolutely adore. The lyrics are all fairly depressing, as is to be expected. To be honest, theres nothing overly unique to make this album any different from a million other Singer-Songwriter albums, but for some reason, its one of the best albums Ive ever heard.[/hide]

[hide=4. The Work Which Transforms God Blut aus Nord]21279.jpg

Ambient/Avant-Garde Black Metal from France. This album gives of probably the most evil atmosphere of any music I have ever heard. There is a definite simplicity and repetitiveness to the guitar work and vocals, but the unpredictable rhythms of the drums is something that stands out to me whenever I listen to it. I would recommend this album to pretty well anyone, even if they werent into Metal at all. I could never get sick of this.[/hide]

[hide=3. Amnesiac - Radiohead]amnesiac_standard.jpg

I know I dont exactly need to advertise Radiohead, everyone knows them already. This is my favourite of all of their records, and definitely the most underrated. Ive always found their pre-Kid A records to be fairly boring, but this is in a league of its own from those earlier works. Funnily enough, a fair few of the songs on this album sound really incredible when played in reverse, namely Like Spinning Plates.[/hide]

[hide=2. Colors Between the Buried and Me]btbam.bmp

The album that convinced me that these boys from North Carolina are geniuses. The vocals, both clean and screamed, are fantastic (including the guest vocals on Prequel to the Sequel), the guitar work is unbelievably technical but somehow doesnt come off as pretentious, the drumming is solid throughout, and the bass is sexy as hell. Please, just listen to it.[/hide]

[hide=1. String Quartet No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 110 Dmitri Shostakovich]20060925_shostakovichportraitphoto.jpeg

He may have been a sarcastic bastard, but I really love Shostakovich, in particular his String Quartets. In all honesty, all of them are really great, but the 8th is probably his most well-known, and rightly so. This is everything that makes Shostakovich great, bundled into 20-something minutes. There are countless things to contribute to how incredible this work is, but I think the biggest thing for me is how he is able to use the same motif over and over and over again, and it is always new and unexpected. The man was a genius.[/hide]

Hopefully youve enjoyed my list, or at least pretended to. Man, that took ages to write.. :oops:

Cool.

Lots of things I have never heard before. I will deffinitly go after Joe Pass, Thee More Shallows, Diagnose: Lebensgefahr (loving the band name). Although I don't really care much for metal, you make this Shining sound very interesting. Cool to see Battles, Neutral Milk Hotel (how the hell did I manage to forget them, that record is one of my favorites! If you haven heard them already check out Okkervil River by the way), Nick Drake (again, how did I forget Pink Moon?), M.I.A. (if you don't know her already check out Santogold!), Blonde Redhead, and a big YAY for Amnesiac. And thumbs up for 808s and heartbreaks and the Timberlake record. Sorry for hijacking your thread by recommending you things. :oops:

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I've always meant to give Arab Strap a listen, and your list gave me the final push. It's always nice to hear another Scottish voice in music, and I think I'm going to love them. I listened to The Velvet Teen too, but I just couldn't get into it. The drummer is crazy.

It might be a pain, but I think you should remove the hide tags. They make the list a bit awkward to read.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Okay so I finally finished the list. :)

Glad to know about Arab Strap, they really are a very good band. As for the hide tags, I actually initially put them in because I thought that the pictures didn't load unless someone opened the tag, so it might be easier on dial-up readers, but it seems it loads them either way. So I will remove them if I can be bothered. :thumbup:

Cool.