The greatest rhythm guitarists?

assassin_696

Lead guitarists get all the glamour, and i'm sure most of you could reel off a list of at least 5 "guitar gods".

But i've been asking myself recently, who are the great rhythm guitarists? It's harder to define them because they don't have the solos to show off in, but any guitarists knows how important rhythm is.

So who are they?

The first that springs to mind for me is Gabriela, the second half of the guitar duo Rodrigo Y Gabriela. She's pretty insanely good at rhythm to be honest, her triplets which she uses a lot are incredibly hard to play at the speed that she does and she adds precise percussion as well by slapping the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDVktJw5K7Y

I think John Fogerty from Creedence Clearwater Revival has to be up there as well.

Pete Townsend of The Who is no shabby rhythm player either, a lot of his more recent acoustic stuff really stands out for having strong rhythms.

After that, i'm struggling, Chuck Berry, John Lennon? Any ideas?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I'd probally say Andy Mckee but he's more acoustic rhythme and lead and percussion all thrown together.

James Hetfeild is the best electric rhythm guitarist that I know of.

I couldn't find any live vids of stuff from Kill 'em All but the rhythm guitar on that album is insane.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Does it have to be someone who exclusively plays rhythm? Because I'm more impressed by the rhythm work from the likes of Hendrix and Knopfler than I am from their lead playing.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Izzy Stradlin, simply because he did all the REAL songwriting work for Guns 'N' Roses. Slash is so incredibly overrated it's not funny - you can't do all those tight intertwining rhythm harmonies with just one guitarist live ya know ;)

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Good question. :?

Hetfield is pretty good for a rhythm guitarist. Adam Jones from Tool; he rarely plays lead but his rhythm and songwriting abilities are insane. Oh and whoever out of Willie Adler and Mark Morton from Lamb of God is technically not the lead guitarist. :lol: They are both awesome. Listen to the rhythm in Ashes of the Wake. In my opinion it containes one of the best metal riffs ever. 8-)

Oh, and, uhh... me. :P (I generally don't play lead, just rhythm and songwriting).

I'd probally say Andy Mckee but he's more acoustic rhythme and lead and percussion all thrown together.

Yeah, he's pretty good, I've got a friend who's learning that one.

Does it have to be someone who exclusively plays rhythm? Because I'm more impressed by the rhythm work from the likes of Hendrix and Knopfler than I am from their lead playing.

Interesting point. Do you mean how Hendrix played rhythm behind his lead parts simultaneously or just his rhythm work in general? No it doesn't have to be someone who exclusively plays rhythm.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Interesting point. Do you mean how Hendrix played rhythm behind his lead parts simultaneously or just his rhythm work in general? No it doesn't have to be someone who exclusively plays rhythm.

Basically his stuff while he wasn't soloing. Alot of his stuff is hard to classify. Little Wing for example, I'm not sure I'd call that lead work, despite the guitar being in the foreground. Pretty song though.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Zacky Vengeance is probably the best I've seen so far. Lightening fast, can keep up with most lead guitarists anyday. I also like Ian D'sa from Billy Talent, he plays lead but very few solo's so i tent to call him more of a rhythm guitarist. Hes pretty talented, has some great riffs.

Lvl 80 construction.

Dragon Drops: 11 (4 Chains, 2 Axes, 1 Med, 2 Skirts, 1 Legs, 1 2h)

God Wars Drops: 4 Zamorakian Spears, 1 Godsword Shard 1