Stage Fright

wakka102

So yea, I get it really badly, My band played at school today and I knew our songs backwards and forwards, I played them really well in practice, but as soon as I got up there My hands were shaking like I had a fever! I get it everytime I perform too, I assumed it would go away after a few times (I'm in ensemble as well) but it doesnt, how do I go about calming my nerves so I can rock out to my full potential? there must be a way (besides alcohol or medications lol).

You knocked out the only fun ones :(

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

You just described the exact opposite of me...When I am alone I can't play anything, but when in front of people I am quite the musician. Just try to block out everybody watching. I somehow managed to do it, so you must have the same ability somewhere within you.

first thing to do is realise how awesome you are, makes everything better. if you're not awesome, just make yourself think you are.

but anyway, getting over stage fright just comes with experience. the best thing to do would just be to get your band to play at a few really unimportant gigs to build your confidence.

EDIT: sorry, didn't read the thing about how you've performed a few times. anyway, it's pretty weird that it hasn't gone away. i guess i've grown up performing music infornt of people, so it's nothing special.

a question though, are you any good at speeches? you could try doing a public-speaking course, as i'm under the impression that performing in front of people and public-speaking are kind of connected. sorry if that's a crap idea, it just popped up in my mind.

Cool.

Concentrate on breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth, it should relax you to focus on the most important thing, the instrument. It's different to acting where you might have to play to an audience, as in develop a rapport, because as a classical musician you only have to sound good, but damn good.

Only focus on the positives, like: "I know this song so well", "I've played it brilliantly many times" and so on, concentrating on the music and the music alone. If you think positive and focus, it will fly by. If you go out there all the time thinking, "Oh I remember last time, when I shook..." it will happen again and again.

Be positive and trust your ability, and take heart that you're one of a select bunch who can perform the skill so well that people want to hear it :)

do something loud and obnoxious before you start playing (trip over something and play it off as a big joke), kinda shows that you are confortable and you will feel more confortable. Your nervous cause you dont want to emberess yourself, but the only way you will emberess yourself is if you are nervous, so dont be nervous.

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

No matter how nervous you feel, act confident. The feeling will come eventually.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Stare at the back of your room, and do what you gotta do.

It works for me :D Or you can just turn around and say "What the hell are you guys looking at?! Bugger off!"

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

Once you have one good gig you're confidence will by sky high. Also what Bubsa said about just feeling the music is SO important. Its what i do every time i play, just get lost in the music and everything else will disappear.

Lvl 80 construction.

Dragon Drops: 11 (4 Chains, 2 Axes, 1 Med, 2 Skirts, 1 Legs, 1 2h)

God Wars Drops: 4 Zamorakian Spears, 1 Godsword Shard 1

I know what ya mean Waka...The 1st time I ever played on stage was when I was playing guitar for like 20 or maybe 30 people.

I was nervous about it weeks before I even had to do it haha.

When the big day finally came I got up on stage, hands were shaking, both feet firmly together on the ground...And I played.

After the show was over I felt great and the next few shows me and my band played I slowly started getting over it and started just having fun with it.

Here's a tip to you on how not to get nervous...

1. Be confident in yourself and your performance

2. Just have fun

Once you start moving up there you'll start to have a blast and forget the crowd is even there. And here's another tip I always use...If you're forced to look out into the crowd DO NOT look right into their eyes...Try and look just above there heads...It makes all the difference in the world.

Hope you have a blast at future shows...

2czeqeh.jpg

And here's another tip I always use...If you're forced to look out into the crowd DO NOT look right into their eyes...Try and look just above there heads...It makes all the difference in the world.

Hope you have a blast at future shows...

thats a very good tip! saves me on public speeches

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com