The Smiths

Lateralus

I barely ever hear anyone talking about The Smiths (online or offline), and this has always stuck me as being odd. They're an excellent band, and they were pretty big during the '80s.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are there any Smiths fans here? What songs, albums, etc do you like?

(P.s. Daan, if you don't already know the Smiths - Buy The Queen Is Dead. Soon.)

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I know the smiths, still need get the album though. It has been on my list for ages, but somehow I never got around it. It's classic. I'll see if I can find a copy in town tomorrow.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

So I got it a few days ago, and I've been playing it again. And it's really good, but I already knew that. Best track of the album in my eyes is I Know It's Over together with Never had no one ever, which are a bit overlooked trough tracks as There's a Light that never goes out and Bigmouth strikes again.

Noone else interested here?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

So I got it a few days ago, and I've been playing it again. And it's really good, but I already knew that. Best track of the album in my eyes is I Know It's Over together with Never had no one ever, which are a bit overlooked trough tracks as There's a Light that never goes out and Bigmouth strikes again.

Noone else interested here?

I Know It's Over is an unbelievable track, I love it so much. The vocal was recorded in one take apparantly.

You should get Louder Than Bombs Next, it's got loads of tracks on it, some absolute corkers too. Stuff like Ask, Panic, You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby, London...

Ah, I can't even explain how much I love the Smiths. <3:

Everyone has a mate who's obssessed with them. Everyone! He keeps telling me how the music is on such a different level and is so deep.

I just don't like the music, simple as, really. The lyrics reak of pretentiousness, there's no melancholy or harmony to enjoy. I won't go into the whole Morrissey side of it, a bit irrelevant to their music. They just don't appeal to me.

Its good music but ive never really been keen on them myself for similar reasons to Bubsa. I think Morrissey is a bit whiney and he was a nob when I saw him at Glastonbury a few years ago.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I've never thought Morrissey's lyrics to be pretentious, but I know plenty of people who have. I think what it comes down to is that people who like the music enough to pay attention can see that he writes with alot of sarcasm and humor, and people who don't like the music have only got their first impressions to go by. Either way, I suppose both opinions are skewed.

Whenever I hear of Morrissey, I think of the time I saw him on a late night talkshow (might have been Leno). It was during the height of his solo career and the audience was all fired up about him. Bill Cosby was also on as a guest before Morrissey and the crowd had absolutely no interest in him. He started referring to Morrissey as Marcy..."I was talking to Marcy backstage...". It was freaking hilarious, but the crowd didn't think so.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I love the Smiths, fantastic band and Morrissey is amazing. Definitely one of the best British bands since The Beatles for that kind of very-clever music and lyrics. I don't find his lyrics pretentious at all, in fact they're fantastic. Although the lyrics are often quite dark Johnny Marr's guitar work always provides that perfect lift which makes the songs so good.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is one of my favourite songs of all time, and Panic is great as well.

On a side note, Morrissey was recently voted the 2nd sexiest vegetarian in Europe or something.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

On a second side note, did anyone watch the indie Seven Ages of Rock documentary on Saturday. I recorded it, they're normally great but apparently The Smiths were fairly prominent in it.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"