(long) First Saturday of each August: Runescape Newbie Day

Hi there fellow Tip.Itians (or is it Tip.Iters?)

How many of you are sick and tired of the abuse of the word "newbie"? From it's original meaning as a newcomer, a person new to the game, it has universally outgrown to mean an insult, a rude remark, which is now applied to pretty much anything and everything you don't like.

How many of you realize that we were all once newbies?

How many of you understand that it is not most lower levels who happen to be scammers or bots, but rather most scammers or bots happen to be lower levels because there is less to lose if they get banned? And therefore, just because someone is a lower level, does not make him or her automatically a scammer, bot, or any other bad thing?

How many of you acknowledge that every player has a real life person controlling them, who should be given the same respect as everyone else?

How many of you, when seeing a confused or lost newer player, would rather help them then call them a n00b and laugh at them?

How many of you understand that anything from silly questions to bad spelling/grammar do not make someone necessarily a noob (look at my siggy!)?

The list could go on and on and on. And I would like to think that I am not the only one with those thoughts and feeling. That there are other people, on this forum and others, that are not prejudiced towards lower level players, and that are willing to help instead of mock them!

Therefore, I propose: Every first Sunday of August, each year, be designated as the...

Runescape Newbie Day

WHY?

Reasons described above! This will be the day on which we:

• - Acknowledge that we were all once newbies

- Agree that being a newbie is not a bad thing

- Do fun and events together to celebrate the day!

WHAT?

Part 1: 2007 Newbie Rally!

In the rally, we all gather together as a group and walk around Runescape, dressed and speaking like newbies!

That's right! You level 110s put your nice full dragon back in the bank, and buy yourself a nice set of sparkling new Full Bronze Armor! Or get that hammer and bronze bars out and smith it yourself!

Of course, you are not limited to bronze. There are other hot items out there, like leather armor, wooden shields, pink skirts! Oh, the possibilites are endless!

Even better, don't wear a uniform set of armor, but a mix and match! In short, dress like you would expect a typical newbie to!

Here, I have even added a picture, so you know what is good armor and what isn't!

badgoodts1.jpg

So what do we do once we get all that stuff on us? We go around all of F2P Runescape in a train and attract attention!

But wait, you say, there is more to being a newbie than dressing like one right? Of course there is! We also need to talk like newbies!

Recommended phrases would be things like:

• - Fr33 57uff p10x!

- Selling cabbages!

- Buying

Note: Please do not say anything that is against the rules. The objective is to be funny, not annoying! If you "buy" or "sell" something, it has to sound silly enough so people know it's a joke and not a scam.

As an alternative, you can take a more serious approach, and instead yell out things like:

• - Newbies are people too!

- We all are a newbie at heart!

- We were all once newbies!

- Newbies should be helped, not mocked!

- Not all newbies are scammers or macroers!

Just imagine 40-50 HIGH-LEVEL (all levels are welcome of course, but high levels would make the most impact) players, walking around in a train dressed in bronze/iron armor, yelling out the above things! :ohnoes:

Part 2: Charity

After we had lots of fun going around, we can target the newbies directly.

For this part, we change back from newbie armor to high level one (or any fancy clothing you want), and then go around where real newbies can be found (like Lumbridge).

This part can be more disorganized, because we will probably split across different servers. The point is that each participant should find and help at least one newbie (the more the better!) But make sure you help a -real-n newbie instead of an obvious "pure" account, or worse, a macroer! Things you can help with include:

- Giving out free armor, food, tools, coins, or other items useful for a newer player. Especially appreciated are items which the newbie can use to make his or her own money (like axes/pickaxes), including instructions on how to use them. Make sure you give something a newbie can wear!

- Teaching newbies about Runescape and the gameplay

- Any other helpful thing you can think of!

For myself, I have already prepared to give out some items! My goal is to sponsor at least 40 newbies, among which I will distribute the following:

charityev8.jpg

Of course, after you have helped as many people as you can, you should post your results on the forums! So we can compare who were the Newbie Day Champions!

WHO?

EVERYONE is invited! Your level does not matter, although I'd certainly love to see some of the higher levels attend! Just make sure to dress appropriately!

HOW?

Path: The path is not finalized yet, but this is a suggestion:

pathmv5.th.jpg

We start at the Al-Kharid palace (bank is nearby for you to get ready). We then go to Lumbridge and make a stop, then go northeast to Varrock (entering through east end and walk to center). Make another stop, then go west, all the way to Barbarian Village, from there go north and make a stop in Edgeville. Go back to village, go west to Falador and made a stop there. Finally, travel southeast to Draynor Village where the final stop will be!

Each stop should take about 5 minutes, about the same for the travel period (travelling in a large group is always slow). So I estimate the whole rally to take about 40 minutes, maybe up to an hour.

WHERE?

World: A busy world is good to attract attention, but probably 1 is not the best because it's hard to get on. World 3 would be good, or maybe world 4 or 5.

The end objectives are to:

• - Educate people about tolerance to newbies

- Have lots of fun

- Feel like a newbie yourself again!

If this rally goes through, we will certainly post screenshots and other reports of the rally on the forum!

WHEN?

What stage is this at right now?

This whole idea is still in the proposal stage. There are almost 3 weeks before the proposed date. During the first week, I'd like YOU to tell me what do you think about this whole idea! Does it seem like fun? Would you be willing to participate, or even donate? (Not as in donate to me, but to the newbies themselves). Would you be interested to find out the results?

When posting, please also say the time which will be most comfortable to you. Also, if you think the proposed date absolutely stinks, feel free to propose your own date instead. The original proposed date was Sunday, August 4th, 2007. The reason I came up with this date is because August means summer holidays for many people, and Saturday is when most people don't have school/work/church/something else to attend.

If enough people support this to become a reality, then I'll post the actual date and time, and we can all start to prepare!

So please post what you think about this!

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

Unfortunately this is in the wrong forum. It belongs in the Tipiter Events Forum. But does sound interesting. :)

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

The reason I posted it here is because it is not yet an actual planned event, I'm more interested in getting opinions whether this will even work and whether people like the idea of celebrating a Newbie Day.

If people do like it, then once we actually finalize the date and time I'll certainly ask this to be moved to events.

Very intresting

I'l attend but can i pwaeezz wear my smithing skill cape? Becaue i'll have 99 by then.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Very intresting

I'l attend but can i pwaeezz wear my smithing skill cape? Becaue i'll have 99 by then.

You are supposed to dress like a noob, although seeing someone with 99 smithing and full BRONZE armor would certainly be funny, so sure :lol:

Very much like the OoC's Newbie appreciation day. I did what I could at the event, and helped some new players. They didn't know what to do to thank us. I encourage a lot of people to go to this events, because only 10 showed up at the NAD <.<

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!