Websites attempting to block Firefox because of ad-blocking

Jard_Y_Dooku

This is interesting news. I recently came upon an article that told about websites who were angry because of a Firefox plug-in called Ad Block Plus was blocking their advertisements. The reason why is explained on the link below, so I'll not go into detail.

http://www.whyfirefoxisblocked.com/

Assuming you've read the above page, the companies' reason to be angry about this is that they lose revenue because the ads are not displayed to the user, and block Firefox. However, it is a user's choice to view what they wish. If you want to go to a website and not view ads, then so be it!

Do NOT contact the Mozilla Foundation and ask them to stop empowering Internet theft. Using a program to stop something being shoved in your face is NOT theft.

What you should do is take their ads and shove them right back at them.

Install the following Firefox add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

It will allow you to change your user-agent. Basically, the add-on adds an item to your Tools menu "User Agent Switcher". Go into the sub-menu and select "Internet Explorer 7 (Windows Vista)", then reload the page. This will cause any website to think you are using IE7 rather than Firefox... and they can't block you. But you can block their ads.

GF and nice try.

PS - Here's the link to Ad Block Plus; haven't tried it but it looks pretty good: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

any site that actually does that isn't worth going to in the first place.

Ditto, their ignorance is making them lose more money this way. If you block 20% of users (Firefox's market share) then thats 20% less people that will go to your site. They will not view your ads, which not everybody has that extension installed, but it will generate more traffic that will be good to show to potential advertisers.

They should block IE7 too, there is an add-on that can block ads in that too :roll: . They should just block everybody, that will show people to not block ads.

goldenblade995.png

I love when people try to block me and other intelligent people from things. Aren't they aware that you can change your user agent to whatever you please?

And I've now installed Ad Block Plus... seems like it works well and I'd recommend it.

And I actually am a webmaster, if the question arises.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

does ad block plus work well? i had a different one but it blocked images on these forums as well...

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

Wow, that's just stupid. Click on the "Firefox Myth's" link in the page header.

Myth - "Firefox is not a Religion"

Reality - Type in about:mozilla into the Firefox address bar to get "The Book of Mozilla".

Now that's just stupid. Someone can't take a joke...

(Microsoft can, though. If you type that into the ie7 address bar, you get a blank blue background. BSOD, ftl?)

Reality - Type in about:mozilla into the Firefox address bar to get "The Book of Mozilla".

(Microsoft can, though. If you type that into the ie7 address bar, you get a blank blue background. BSOD, ftl?)

Doesn't work on IE7 here, works on IE6 though. Can still get to it in IE7 via res://mshtml.dll/about.moz.

Edit: Google says about:mozilla left with XP SP2 :(

Doesn't work on IE7 here, works on IE6 though. Can still get to it in IE7 via res://mshtml.dll/about.moz.

Edit: Google says about:mozilla left with XP SP2 :(

res://mshtml.dll/about.moz works on fully updated xp sp2.

you do know if everyone blocked ads, ALOT of sites would close because the money they use to pay for the server would stop coming in? ALOT of sites rely on ads. although it is abit stupid to block an entire browser.

If companies want to block 15% of their visitors for no reasonable reason (most people DON'T have adblock) then that's their prerogative. I don't think id want to do business with those kinds of companies.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12