Random unexplained problems [Resolved]

Peronix

I am really getting mad at my computer. -.-

It can't have been more than 1 month after I had to have the motherboard replaced, and now the same sort of things seem to be happening all over again.

For example: Java is giving me hell, like it was last time. RuneScape is randomly causing the browser to crash. Completely randomly. Not when I enter a specific area or anything, it could happen when I'm trying to log in or when I've been playing for an hour. And it seems to be happening more and more frequently. I've tried everything that the RS website suggests, and again, like last time, nothing seems to help in the slightest.

I'm also beginning to have problems with firefox. It will randomly crash, and eventually just crash everytime I try to open it.

Also have had the BSOD while playing Half Life 2, at least 4 times.

Don't tell me the motherboard has gone bad ALREADY...

Oh yeah, my computer specs.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition

Version 2002, Service Pack 2

Sony Electronics Inc.

VAIO Computer, Intel®

Pentium® D CPU 3GHz

1 GB of RAM

I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.8; it has no add-ons.

I have the latest version of Java; version 6, update 3.

I have also been keeping up-to-date with the automatic updates thing.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any malicious software on my computer; unless this virus scanner (which Jagex recommended) is lying to me.

Am I to assume this is a laptop? If so, have you made sure that there is good air flow through the laptop by using a vacuum cleaner on the vents. Don't forget never to block any vents during use especially any underneath.

The reason I ask is your system may be overheating and this can cause multiple problems, especially those you have just described.

No it's not a laptop, it is a desktop computer. I thought it was overheating the last time also, but the tech guy said that wasn't the problem; the motherboard was just bad, and he replaced it, and I have been problem free for about a month - until now.

No it's not a laptop, it is a desktop computer. I thought it was overheating the last time also, but the tech guy said that wasn't the problem; the motherboard was just bad, and he replaced it, and I have been problem free for about a month - until now.

Well not every tech guy knows what he's doing. Did he atleast check if it was overheating? Chances are when he replaced the motherboard he cleaned the dust and put new thermal paste on the processor which kept it from overheating, until now. Download the program Speedfan and post your idle (when the computer is doing nothing) and your full load temp (such as running a game)

It also may be faulty ram. Download Mentest and burn it to a cd. Then you need to boot from that cd and run the program overnight and see if it brings back errors.

goldenblade995.png

Idle was ~50C and while playing Half Life 2 it was 57C. On either one on the speedfan program showed a little flame thing... does that mean it's overheating?

Nope, and those are not hot.

For the guy thats going to be coming in and saying I'm wrong that his idle temp is high, well, it is, but the full load temp is not and that is what matters.

goldenblade995.png

Just a thought, and one that is often missed, What power supply do you have? If it is under rated this could also cause the exact symptoms you are seeing. I would suggest it be at least 400 watts. The PSU is one of the most overlooked components in a PC, which is crazy as it is responsible for powering everything in it, not only that, when they blow they can possibly take your motherboard or more with it.

Blade is right about Pentium D's, they generally run hot by design. He also mentioned RAM, you may find that re-seating the memory may solve the problem as I have often seen memory being effected by bad connections over a space of time.

Blade is also right about some tech people not knowing what they are on about. I had to sort out problems with a PC once that had been built by a local computer company, one of the stupidest things they had done was to secure the hard drive in the system with packing tape because they didn't have the correct mounting brackets. Yeee Harrrr!

I'm wondering about your hard drive. When your PC crashes, do you ever hear a small clunk sound or the hard drive powering down? Can you let me know what drive you are using: Make, model and size. There are drives out there that have known problems.

Another thing to check is if your graphics card has a fan, make sure it hasn't died or clogged up. Over heating GPUs can crash your system too.

If your PC blue screens again, can you write down the crash code at the top and post it here, it might indicate what caused it.

Next time you get a BSOD, try and give us some of the information from it, preferably the main line at the top.

Also, doing a full memory test would be a good idea. Use http://www.memtest.org/#downiso or any other you like the sound of. They all do the same thing. If you get any errors at all, you'll want to either change the slots your memory is in, clean the contacts or more easily replace it altogether.

Everything else mentioned by Blade and Clare is good too. :thumbsup:

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Oh joy.

I conveniently got a BSOD while I was reading this thread :roll:

This is the first line: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Well if I remember correctly from school that error means faulty ram. Download the program Memtest86 and run it over night and post back what it finds.

goldenblade995.png

Ran the test... but it seemed like it kept resetting itself, because when I went to bed it was at 50% but then when I got up it was back at 22%... anyway, I went into the error summary and this is what it said:

Test 0: Errors: 0

Test 1: Errors: 33

Test 2: Errors: 19478

Test 3: Errors: 2141

Test 4: Errors:

Test 5: Errors: 26785

Test 6: Errors: 21834

Test 7: Errors: 4396

Test 8: Errors: 4388

Test 9: Errors: 0

The total it came up with was 385024 errors. I think that was because it kept resetting itself... I dunno.

Ok, first off the tech guys, are most of the time, idiots.

My list of things to try.

1)If you have more then 1 stick of ram try testing each stick. To do this simple remove the other and run windows if you get the same error with each memory the you know its not a ram issue. However if you do get the error when using one stick and no error when using the other then you know the stick is faulty. Easy fix is then to throw the faulty one away and buy a new one.

2)Clean out the case and fans, i know the tech guys said it won't be this but its worth a try.

3)If your using a non board gpu try using the onboard instead if the problem doesn't occur then the gpu is faulty.

I'll edit this post (adding more) when I get back home.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Ran the test... but it seemed like it kept resetting itself, because when I went to bed it was at 50% but then when I got up it was back at 22%... anyway, I went into the error summary and this is what it said:

Test 0: Errors: 0

Test 1: Errors: 33

Test 2: Errors: 19478

Test 3: Errors: 2141

Test 4: Errors:

Test 5: Errors: 26785

Test 6: Errors: 21834

Test 7: Errors: 4396

Test 8: Errors: 4388

Test 9: Errors: 0

The total it came up with was 385024 errors. I think that was because it kept resetting itself... I dunno.

Well your supposed to have no errors on any test at all. So I would say it's bad ram. Open up your computer and see how many memory sticks you have. If you have more than one take them all out but one, run the test and keep doing that until you find the bad one. Test them all just incase more than one is bad.

goldenblade995.png

w00t :D

Problem appears to be solved. Pulled the bad one on the first try, and since I turned it back on I haven't had any problems. Even tried doing everything that had problems before at the same time. Also the memtest thing now reports 0 errors.

Although my computer seems to be running a bit slow with only 500 MB of ram. RS seems to have less lag now, though. And no crashing.

Way to insult those of us that actually have a clue. The 3 people that have been helping in this thread DO know what they're doing if you've payed any attention at all to this board. If you had bothered reading the reply's you'd notice blade's suggestion nailed the problem before you decided to throw that piece of blazing opinion out there. :evil:

Way to insult those of us that actually have a clue. The 3 people that have been helping in this thread DO know what they're doing if you've payed any attention at all to this board. If you had bothered reading the reply's you'd notice blade's suggestion nailed the problem before you decided to throw that piece of blazing opinion out there. :evil:

I think he meant that the people at tech support hotlines and such, not the people here.

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!