Guild Wars or WoW

Death45

Guild Wars Nightfall is pretty cool, and is a lot better, IMO, than the original, Prophecies. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the people who say they gave up on GW fast, started with Prophecies.

I play occasionally. Mostly PvE. I only PvP with friends. I never PUG. i like trying new builds, which is one of my favorite parts of GW, all the combinations. If you PUG, people expect you to "run" a certain cookie-cutter build(profession combo+skill set), and call you a "nub" if it's different.

As far as updates go I never remember anything that was actually significant being brought into the game.

Sorrow's Furnace update, which adds a new high-level explorable area

Various elite mission updates

Tombs update, Factions preview event

Many things added, such as Lockpicks

Holiday updates, these are pretty regular.

Hopefully being #350 in the world at one time for GvG is enough rep to say 'i've tried it'? Guild Wars PvP system is interesting. With a good group of friends and people you know, I enjoyed it. However it does get old after a while, and most times teams just consist of certain 'power groups'.

I won't lie, I had some great time when my old guild played. We would stomp the Hall of Heroes and GvG, and had fun doing it. But the reason why is that we were all good competent players. The system fails in Guild Wars because to get anywhere these days you need to have a good guild, but guilds really won't accept you unless you grind out a certain 'rank'. The problem is that trying to grind up rank with PUGs is abysmal and downright impossible with all the players that suck at PvP in Guild wars.

Meanwhile WoW has their own PvP in the form of battlegrounds, arenas (which are a lot of fun) and even just world PvP. These give the player many more options than simply doing hall of heroes / GvG all day, and you don't run into incredibly terrible pugs with them.

In total agreement with you here. PvP's only really fun with friends, or using Heroes and trying new builds. Then again I've always been a PvE type at heart, no matter what the game.

I've never played WoW, it looks like a good game but I'm wary to pay monthly fees. I don't like them, not since back in the days of Runescape when I pledged "Never Again".

The thing is I like casual play, which GW, since it lacks the pressure of a subscription, can deliver more; like Zonorhc said. If I played WoW, I'd probably end up playing it too much.

sig2.jpg

I personally have played both and chose WOW. Personally more fun to me and pvp was WAY better. And people need to quit referring to $15 a month as "pressure to play". You really need some help if your that obsessed to getting your full 50 cents a day :-s .

@seer: You shouldn't try to compete against someone like Nadril :-$ .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Sorrow's Furnace update, which adds a new high-level explorable area

Various elite mission updates

Tombs update, Factions preview event

Many things added, such as Lockpicks

Holiday updates, these are pretty regular.

The Sorrow's Furnace update was really the only 'big' update I ever witnessed. Mission upgrades and updating the tombs isn't exactlly a large update (for as long as GW has been out) and holiday updates aren't a big deal.

I haven't played in a while so I may have missed something. Still though, nothing can compare to the updates WoW has received over the years.

In total agreement with you here. PvP's only really fun with friends, or using Heroes and trying new builds. Then again I've always been a PvE type at heart, no matter what the game.

I've never played WoW, it looks like a good game but I'm wary to pay monthly fees. I don't like them, not since back in the days of Runescape when I pledged "Never Again".

The thing is I like casual play, which GW, since it lacks the pressure of a subscription, can deliver more; like Zonorhc said. If I played WoW, I'd probably end up playing it too much.

Monthly fees are not a big deal. I mean, it's like buying a bargin bin game every month -- or sacraficing a couple trips to McDonalds during the month. :lol:

Point in case 50 cents a day isn't exactlly that bad. Considering that even on the minimum wage it only takes 3 hours of work to pay for a full month of gametime.

I personally have played both and chose WOW. Personally more fun to me and pvp was WAY better. And people need to quit referring to $15 a month as "pressure to play". You really need some help if your that obsessed to getting your full 50 cents a day

Agreed.

@seer: You shouldn't try to compete against someone like Nadril

haha! :lol:

I say Guild Wars is better. I've played both games and I find Guild Wars to be more appealing. The only drawback is the level cap and the fact that you cant see other people other than those in your party when you leave a town. Besides, the women look sexier in Guild Wars. :mrgreen:

dontdoublepost0yz.gif

I started playing WoW a few days ago, (Ten day free trial) and so far I am no impressed. The quests are boring, but I've only gotten to Ironforge on my Gnome mage. I've heard that raids and some bosses take up to sixty people to get through, which sounds pretty neat, but that seems to be the only thing that really has my interest.

One thing that made me sad was how I couldn't make a Blood Elf character on the trial:( Oh well...

I started playing WoW a few days ago, (Ten day free trial) and so far I am no impressed. The quests are boring, but I've only gotten to Ironforge on my Gnome mage. I've heard that raids and some bosses take up to sixty people to get through, which sounds pretty neat, but that seems to be the only thing that really has my interest.

One thing that made me sad was how I couldn't make a Blood Elf character on the trial:( Oh well...

You really can't give a good opinion on it from playing it for a few days.

High end old world raids used to take 40 people, now they take 25. It's still a lot of fun to raid with that many though.

It's a lot more fun to play on a PvP server as well, IMO.

Bassicly, Guild wars is (IMO) better for a quick fix (couple months maybe) while WoW is much better as a long term game.

I had a lot of fun with Guild wars main campaign, and then PvPing with my guild for a bit -- don't get me wrong. However after those couple of months are over its pretty stale. For a $50 game though its well worth it, likewise WoW is well worth it.

Thats probably the reason why its so impossible to compare the two because, honestly, they aren't the same. You can call Guild wars an MMO if you want but it just does not have the size and scope as an average MMO has.