Guild Wars or WoW

Death45

It seems that most WoW players hate GW players. On almost every WoW or GW video on youtube there is a huge argument on whether guild wars or world of warcraft is better. Even in the games there are a large population of people that hate the ppl who play the other game, I have tried out both and have found Guild Wars to be much better than WoW. That's just my opinion, what are yours, and this will inevitably be locked one day because people start flaming. So please, try not to flame.

6p8kx0z.jpg

Video games sub forum.

This arguement is stupid, because you can not compare the two games. Hell, one is an MMO and one isn't for christs sake.

WoW stomps on Guild Wars. I played Guild wars in beta and then for another few months but the game just doesn't have that much content. The community as well is incredibly horrible. I liked the idea of PvP but to get on a good PvP guild you need to have a good rank, and to have a good rank you have to try grouping with some of the WORST PvPers in the history of mankind. I have never grouped with a worst set of players before in any game.

I had fun when my guild (that I made, at one time we were #350 in the world for GvG) played, but most people got tired and quit so I did too.

I've only played Guild Wars. I like the ideas behind the game, but I really don't like the limited drops from monsters, the only usable item monster drop are weapons and dyes; maybe something else but that's what I've mostly seen. I haven't been keeping up on the updates, but it'd be nice if monster can drop armor you can equip. You may not have to spend a lot of time leveling up, but when you start a new character, you have do all the same quests to get new skills, a real pain. I didn't play too much of PVP, but you can also unlock the skills through there.

Another thing I didn't like was how you needed to have a party if you wanted to continue through areas, because the monsters were too strong for one person to fight. Finding a group who just wants to go around and fight was pretty hard so I was stuck using henchmen the whole time. Although there were solo builds, they were really only limited to certain areas.

Guild Wars was good value, and was fun while it lasted, but I got bored pretty fast after I finished the main quest.

I've only played Guild Wars. I like the ideas behind the game, but I really don't like the limited drops from monsters, the only usable item monster drop are weapons and dyes; maybe something else but that's what I've mostly seen. I haven't been keeping up on the updates, but it'd be nice if monster can drop armor you can equip. You may not have to spend a lot of time leveling up, but when you start a new character, you have do all the same quests to get new skills, a real pain. I didn't play too much of PVP, but you can also unlock the skills through there.

Another thing I didn't like was how you needed to have a party if you wanted to continue through areas, because the monsters were too strong for one person to fight. Finding a group who just wants to go around and fight was pretty hard so I was stuck using henchmen the whole time. Although there were solo builds, they were really only limited to certain areas.

Guild Wars was good value, and was fun while it lasted, but I got bored pretty fast after I finished the main quest.

i feel the exact same way

i want to try WoW to see why so many people like it, and why so many people hate it

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

I've played both Guild wars and World of warcraft.

My first impressions on world of warcraft(now this might sound sad) It was a magical experience, new game, new start.. Immediately I got into the game with a friend from school, Joined a guild of which all people were very friendly, Lots of people were about to help and it had a very nice community. Although this was back some time in '06.. When I came back to wow after burning crusade I noticed a great increase of idiots, gold spammers ect.. Still, nonetheless a great game.

I started guild wars with no clue what to do... I had taken 20 mins to create my character and when I was finally in the game I had no idea on what was going on. It didn't have that same 'magical' feeling as world of warcraft did. I think I got to level 6 before I gave up.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

I only have guild wars, but I've played WoW extensively at my friends house.

WoW:

Great Comunity

Good PvP

REAL dungeons

VARIATION!(armour, pets ect.)

Cartoony Graphics

Excessive noobs(not that guild wars doesn't have any, wow has more though)

Guild Wars:

Better Graphics

RPG System(I like doing missions alone better then with a party)

Henchmen system^

Crappy PVP

Boring community

NO MONTHLY FEES!

Thats all I can really think of....WoW triumphs in pretty much every way, shape, and form. But this doesn't mean GW isn't a bad game. Its still quite fun, especially if you have the expansions.

I would definitely give both a try(WoW trial version, and just buy the original GW:Prophecies. You don't have to pay monthly fees. :mrgreen:

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

WoW is a constant waste of money. GW is just a one-time thing.

In that case when(if) you played runescape and payed(?) for member was a constant waste of money?

If you play world of warcraft and don't enjoy it, yet you keep paying then yes, you could say it was a waste.. But if someone enjoys WoW then what gives you or anyone the right to call it a waste of money.. It's their choice.. I would rather pay for something i would enjoy rather than pay for something (oneoff) that i wouldn't enjoy..

Of course it is all a matter of personal opinions, Like I said, I play wow because it's easy to get into, you know what you are doing from the start and it is very easy to get into almost every aspect of the game.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

Excessive noobs(not that guild wars doesn't have any, wow has more though)

I agree that WoW has a lot of bad players but IIRC Guild wars had worse. Just trying to PUG PvP matches in Guild wars was horrible, they just don't listen and absolutely suck.

$15 a month is, like, 2 hours of working. It's not a waste of money considering it has an extreme amount of content compared to Guild wars.

before you post against GW or WoW you should consider every game thats out and that they're going to make. Guild Wars2 and Wrath of the Lich King will come out, and who knows? they might put the game over the top.

6p8kx0z.jpg

before you post against GW or WoW you should consider every game thats out and that they're going to make. Guild Wars2 and Wrath of the Lich King will come out, and who knows? they might put the game over the top.

Guild Wars 2 is still a bit out there, and Wrath of the Lich King is an expansion pack.

Hell -- We really don't know much about GW 2 yet, so I won't be holding my breath.

GW is better than WoW.

1: better graphics

2: better pvp *don't say it has bad pvp till u've tried it.*

3:NO subscription fee

4:tons of updates

5: art contests with ingame prizes and real life prizes

6:monthly tournaments.

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

GW is better than WoW.

1: better graphics <-- requires more system power, attracting less of an audience.

2: better pvp *don't say it has bad pvp till u've tried it.* <-- havent tried it

3:NO subscription fee <-- You pay for what you get, and with wow, you get more.

4:tons of updates <-- So does wow... Just had a new raid dungeon put in and 20-60 levelling made faster.

5: art contests with ingame prizes and real life prizes <-- *points to nadrils post*

6:monthly tournaments.<-- Arena counts as a tournament(apart from its done in seasons.)

Edited after seeing Nadril's post :P

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

Guild Wars 'glow' they have on everything looks really tacky. WoW's art style is miles above guild wars, which is pretty boring.

Hopefully being #350 in the world at one time for GvG is enough rep to say 'i've tried it'? Guild Wars PvP system is interesting. With a good group of friends and people you know, I enjoyed it. However it does get old after a while, and most times teams just consist of certain 'power groups'.

I won't lie, I had some great time when my old guild played. We would stomp the Hall of Heroes and GvG, and had fun doing it. But the reason why is that we were all good competent players. The system fails in Guild Wars because to get anywhere these days you need to have a good guild, but guilds really won't accept you unless you grind out a certain 'rank'. The problem is that trying to grind up rank with PUGs is abysmal and downright impossible with all the players that suck at PvP in Guild wars.

Meanwhile WoW has their own PvP in the form of battlegrounds, arenas (which are a lot of fun) and even just world PvP. These give the player many more options than simply doing hall of heroes / GvG all day, and you don't run into incredibly terrible pugs with them.

Not necisarily a 'plus'. No sub means that every little kid can get the game just fine, because they can't use mommies credit card. Plus the subscription is far worth it for WoW because of all the extra content

Not really. In the time I played we did not get much in terms of content

WoW does this as well, constantly. Actually looking up what the other game has before you knock it is a good idea in the future

Its not monthly but every 'season' there is a tournament for a large sum of money. There are other tournaments out there as well for WoW. Right now a 3v3 tourny is going on where the 1st prize is $75,000.

Please do some research in the future.

I play both and enjoy them for their respective merits.

You know, you don't have to take sides on the issue.

I find Guild Wars easier to work into my schedule when I have uni, because it doesn't have the pressure that comes with paying for your play time like WoW does. It's easy for me to whip up a PVP character and play a few rounds in Random Arenas when I'm procrastinating for essays. But when I don't have any overly pressing matters to attend to, I like WoW because I can spend hours on end playing it.

having never played guildwars I'm curious about one thing what genre does it fall under if it isn't a mmo? because from the little i have heard it sounds like a mmo

Its more of a rpgmmo as opposed to an mmorpg. When you go out on quests you either go with a team of 3-7 henchmen or with a group of friends that large. So its different then wow because you arn't doing stuff with unlimited ammounts of other players.

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

In that case when(if) you played runescape and payed(?) for member was a constant waste of money?

Yes, RS was a waste of money. WoW is thrice that waste.

That question was not to be answered... My point was if you pay for something that you enjoy.. obviously it isn't a waste..

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

I'm a Guild Wars fan myself. I did try the WoW demo, but didn't enjoy it. Thought the graphics were inferior and the spell sets weren't as dynamic or as useful.

I think I played GW solid for about three months before finally stopping last year.

My only complaint was the new expansion packs that I thought just weren't original enough. They were just more of the same thing and weren't worth the money.

Might try out Tabula Rasa which apparently is the GW engine with a sci-fi twist.

Harrington.gif

I'm a Guild Wars fan myself. I did try the WoW demo, but didn't enjoy it. Thought the graphics were inferior and the spell sets weren't as dynamic or as useful.

I think I played GW solid for about three months before finally stopping last year.

My only complaint was the new expansion packs that I thought just weren't original enough. They were just more of the same thing and weren't worth the money.

Might try out Tabula Rasa which apparently is the GW engine with a sci-fi twist.

Not to be rude but just playing the trial of WoW isn't really near enough to compare.

Anyways I think I ended up playing (in total) guild wars for about 5-6 months (in like two 3 month bursts) and WoW for a bit longer. (like 8 months maybe).

Guild Wars 'glow' they have on everything looks really tacky. WoW's art style is miles above guild wars, which is pretty boring.

Hopefully being #350 in the world at one time for GvG is enough rep to say 'i've tried it'? Guild Wars PvP system is interesting. With a good group of friends and people you know, I enjoyed it. However it does get old after a while, and most times teams just consist of certain 'power groups'.

I won't lie, I had some great time when my old guild played. We would stomp the Hall of Heroes and GvG, and had fun doing it. But the reason why is that we were all good competent players. The system fails in Guild Wars because to get anywhere these days you need to have a good guild, but guilds really won't accept you unless you grind out a certain 'rank'. The problem is that trying to grind up rank with PUGs is abysmal and downright impossible with all the players that suck at PvP in Guild wars.

Meanwhile WoW has their own PvP in the form of battlegrounds, arenas (which are a lot of fun) and even just world PvP. These give the player many more options than simply doing hall of heroes / GvG all day, and you don't run into incredibly terrible pugs with them.

Not necisarily a 'plus'. No sub means that every little kid can get the game just fine, because they can't use mommies credit card. Plus the subscription is far worth it for WoW because of all the extra content

Not really. In the time I played we did not get much in terms of content

WoW does this as well, constantly. Actually looking up what the other game has before you knock it is a good idea in the future

Its not monthly but every 'season' there is a tournament for a large sum of money. There are other tournaments out there as well for WoW. Right now a 3v3 tourny is going on where the 1st prize is $75,000.

Please do some research in the future.

yes they do have monthly tournaments. dont' believe me check the site urself. and most contests including art one, have $100,000 in in game and real life prizes.

updates usually have 1 a week, sometimes 2.

and FYI u do some research before u answer me back.

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

yes they do have monthly tournaments. dont' believe me check the site urself. and most contests including art one, have $100,000 in in game and real life prizes.

updates usually have 1 a week, sometimes 2.

and FYI u do some research before u answer me back.

uh, what?

@ The tournements comment: I was talking about WoW, not guild wars dude.

As far as updates go I never remember anything that was actually significant being brought into the game.

I'm tired so I'll keep it simple.

I thought the GW graphics were simply beautiful. I was enjoying myself completely before realizing I hadn't left the tutorial "island" yet! I honestly never got involved with it much more though. For me, coming from RuneScape, I enjoyed the leveling process - skills, combat, etc. IIRC, the level cap in GW was 20 at the time - and that could be done very quickly. Then you PVP or whatever.

For me, WoW has a much better value on that behalf - there are tons of quests and it takes a healthy amount of time to get to max level. And the replay value is different enough that I don't get bored with it.

Something about the WoW game pulled me in a bit more, I dunno. The graphics are a bit more "cartoony" (I remember being put off by this initial description) but when combined with lore and with the sheer size of the world, it really is impressive. The scripting of some of the NPCs is amazing.. and I will never forget exploring a zone for the first time.

Maybe I'd like GW more now that I know what to try or what to expect.. but I'm content with WoW at the moment. I don't have an extraordinary amount of time to play so I get on when I can, work on some quests a bit, and get off. No pressure, no crazy guilds yelling obscenities at people for not having flasks - just fun when I have time.

sithbridgeay2.jpg