No Space on C drive

r033

I went ahead and deleted the files in the MSN folder because I couldn't even do disk cleanup or defrag. Nothing wrong has happened and all of the files were .tmp. I think that means temp? Now only 9 GB is taken =)

Yeah I think I need to get SP2. Like 4 hours after I originally deleted the files, I went back and looked at my space and I had 5 GB free. All of the .tmp files were back.

Have you tried removing the application completely like suggested above? You can then reinstall with a fresh copy.

additionally, there is a folder called System Volume Informationin the root folder of your C:\ drive. This contains all of the restore points for your computer and can get VERY VERY large (I have seen some in excess of 15 GB).

IT is hidden so, if you cant see it you need to go to the tools menu > folder options > view tab > select the "view all filles and folders" redio button , uncheck the "hide protected operating system files (recommended)" box and uncheck the "use simple file sharing(recommended)" box.

Next, go back to the root folder in wondows explorer, right click on the system volume information folder and select "sharing and security". In the window that pops up, select the "security" tab and add your user name to the permissions list with full control permissions. Click ok.

Now, open up the folder and delete as much as possible from the folder. Usually it will not allow you to delete everything, but if you select all > delete, when the error message pops up the first file in the list is the one it will not delete. Skip that one and continue, until you have as much deleted from the folder as possible. This can be a huge hog of space on your HDD.

I would not reccommend this. If you want to clear up your system restore files then simply turn system restore off, restart your computer, then turn it back on. You can turn off system restore from the system properties of the control panel.

Wow I did not know this :) :) Thanks for sharing that, I can clear up nearly a gig of memory on my laptop (it is much needed, until I buy some more memory) Er, is it COMPLETELY safe to delete those files? I mean, if my laptop crashes will I lose everything after I delete the Sys Volume Information, or will it be fine? I dont want to lose anything on this laptop, some valuable school projects, pictures, files etc I need on here, but I need the space, so can I delete the files in this System Volume Information folder SAFELY, without risk of losing files?

Turning off system restore will only delete your system restore points. They are just snap shots of your current system files at the time. If your entire computer crashs and the harddrive is corrupt, not even system restore will recover all those files you mentioned for your school proects, pictures and other non-system related files. If you are really worried I would suggest you make a CD copy of your work, that would be your safest option.

EDIT:

Just to add, I re-read your post and would just like to make a point to ensure you understand it. Do not delete the actual folder, System Volume Information, it is bad practice to delete any system related files manually. Follow the steps in my first post about disabling system restore to remove any current system resotre points.

Yeah I think I need to get SP2. Like 4 hours after I originally deleted the files, I went back and looked at my space and I had 5 GB free. All of the .tmp files were back.

I'm pretty sure your computer's infected with a strange virus/malware program then... have you tried updating and scanning with both Ad-Aware SE and Spybot? You could also try going into Safe Mode, and remove the files from there, and see if they come back that way. (They will probably come back once you log on to Windows XP normally, but from safe mode, you may be able to figure out what the problem is.

I didn't uninstall msn completely because it was on my computer when I bought it, I don't think I have any CDs. Plus I had a lot of trouble signing up and setting up phone numbers and that stuff the first time I signed up. I did not delete any system restore points. And I did full system scans with updated Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, and McAfee and found nothing related to the problem.....okay I just looked again and its still creating the 77.2 MB files. It seems like its 1 file every 30 min or so. I still have 2 windows security updates to install so I'm going to finish installing them now and restart my computer.

lol, windows update = crashed computer =-(

Windows update does not crash a computer. When sp2 was first released it did have some bugs, but there all fixed (or most of them). The piont is it is critical that you update windows with sp2 and all critical updates. Your computer is in danger if you don't.

I am still interested in how almost 70gb of space on your HD is used :? .

Someone else said this but make sure all your scanning tools are updated before you scan.

actually yes it does.

I was getting SP 2 from Micro$oft, and my computer crashed, loosing every thing I had on the had drive..The funny thing was I was trying to fix a problem that came with he last win update, that caused my computer to shut off.

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

you don't need a cd for msn ?

just delete it all and download the install file after you took care of the problem.

if all that doesn't work, backup everything usefull on your other partion and just format :P

i have a c drive = 10 gig and a D drive = the rest of my HDD ( at work right now can't remember the size :P ) and whenever i feel my comp isn't going as good i backup everything on D and just format C and install a fresh copy of win XP ;-)

Rightio, is msn your ISP, or do you just use MSN messenger to chat to people?

If you use them as your ISP then it mightn't be such a great idea to uninstall, since if it doesn't work then you can't talk to anyone for help (except rining up the people at msn.)

If you just use messenger for chatting then certainly, uninstall.

There's two possible explinations I can think of here. Either you've been infected by some sort of virus that's intent on filling up your harddrive or there's a bug in the msn program that you use that's constantly creating temporary files.

Please post a new hijackthis log, If we can't find anything in that then you might consider contacting the msn people :-?

SHIPPOU: Please, shut up! SP2 contains vital security fixes and patches. It may have crashed your pc because some system files were corrupt or you were using a pirated version or something else, but it's worked just fine on 99.9% of the other hundreds of millions of windows pc's it's been installed on.

SHIPPOU: Please, shut up! SP2 contains vital security fixes and patches. It may have crashed your pc because some system files were corrupt or you were using a pirated version or something else, but it's worked just fine on 99.9% of the other hundreds of millions of windows pc's it's been installed on.

Nuff said... lol

With out windows updates, your reducing your computer's security greatly, even if you have firewalls, antivirus, hardware firewall, you name it... don't be arrogant.

It's like saying because a gun backfired once, you should never use a gun to hunt a bear, but instead use your knife which has never hurt you... sure your knife didn't hurt you but good luck with that bear.

And you wonder why there are so many threads on every board of these forums going "OMG!1!1! I GAWT HACKD!!"

Turning off system restore will only delete your system restore points. They are just snap shots of your current system files at the time. If your entire computer crashs and the harddrive is corrupt, not even system restore will recover all those files you mentioned for your school proects, pictures and other non-system related files. If you are really worried I would suggest you make a CD copy of your work, that would be your safest option.

EDIT:

Just to add, I re-read your post and would just like to make a point to ensure you understand it. Do not delete the actual folder, System Volume Information, it is bad practice to delete any system related files manually. Follow the steps in my first post about disabling system restore to remove any current system resotre points.

Yea I know not to delete the folder, I just wanted to make sure if I deleted the files in it, I wouldnt lose anything. Besides, I just backed those files up on my USB flash drive and Ill take them to my CD burning computer in a few days :D

Yeah MSN is my ISP. Plus I'm on dialup so if I somehow uninstalled and redownloaded it, it would take forever. I am expecting the new version of MSN in the mail however within 7-10 days. I'm guessings its a bug. Every couple of hours I just go into the MSN folder and delete like 1 or 2 GB of .tmp files so thats my temporary solution. Heres the updated HJT log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 8:31:17 PM, on 4/29/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray[Caution: ExecutableFile]

c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM[Caution: ExecutableFile]

c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\Mp[bleep]ent[Caution: ExecutableFile]

c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\msn6[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim[Caution: ExecutableFile]

C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [storageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray[Caution: ExecutableFile]" /r

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32[Caution: ExecutableFile] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz[Caution: ExecutableFile] /install

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask[Caution: ExecutableFile]" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32[Caution: ExecutableFile] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr[Caution: ExecutableFile]" /checktask

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld[Caution: ExecutableFile]"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim[Caution: ExecutableFile] -cnetwait.odl

O4 - Global Startup: Internet Answering Machine.lnk = C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAM[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll

O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

O16 - DPF: Video Poker - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... vpt0_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Blackjack - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /jt0_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Bridge - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /bt1_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Canasta - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /yt1_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chess - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /ct1_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Hearts - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /ht1_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /tt3_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pinochle - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /ut2_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Poker - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... /pt1_x.cab

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/c ... pote_x.cab

O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/[garden tool] ... scan60.cab

O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - ]http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200 ... taller[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004 ... scan53.cab

O16 - DPF: {7EBA6D58-EB2D-46F4-A363-10C4DF50B907} (SCORMAPIDLL.API) - http://hls.gemedicalsystems.com/thealp/SCORMAPIDLL.CAB

O16 - DPF: {94B82441-A413-4E43-8422-D49930E69764} (TLIEFlashObj Class) - https://rtc4.webresponse.one.microsoft. ... EFlash.CAB

O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMe ... loader.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1F56C48F-530B-41D5-8AFF-E851F8AADB96}: NameServer = 198.6.1.218 198.6.100.218

O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{1F56C48F-530B-41D5-8AFF-E851F8AADB96}: NameServer = 198.6.1.218 198.6.100.218

O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll

O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr[Caution: ExecutableFile]) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE[Caution: ExecutableFile]

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32[Caution: ExecutableFile]

Seeing as they're your ISP then they should supply some tech support. I suggest you get on the phone to them and jump up and down a bit.

Chances are they'll put you on hold for a while, so if you can get a phone with a speakerphone and leave it on and read a book or watch tv or something.