Santa Hats

ctim

I was looking through the old archives of Runescape news and ran across this from December 25 2002:

Merry Christmas from the Jagex team. We're dropping some santa hats today at random intervals in random places. They're just a bit of fun though, so please don't be too upset if you can't find one. If you manage to get more than one then please consider giving them to your friends as christmas presents. Of course you can sell them but that's not really the spirit of christmas :-)

I just thought it would be fun to open up this discussion and see what you guys thought of what Jagex thought about this update. :-k

I like the part about selling them to not be in the Christmas spirit! :lol:

Staff: If this should be in the deate forum please move it.

Thanks

91% percent of the people polled said they were liers. The other 9% lied to us.

I think either they didn't foresee the excesses of the rare market, or they deliberately made tradeable rares early on (knowing their price would raise exponentially), so that new players could have difficult goals beyond skill levels and quests. I would guess they just didn't foresee it, though.

"Noob" is an insult. "Noob" is overused. Be polite. Try to say "noob" less than once a day.

Thank you.

I can only imagine how disappointing it must have been for Gower & Co to have to watch their generous gesture be abused by greedy and selfish players.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

new players could have difficult goals beyond skill levels and quests.

I had never thought of that. Who knows, mabye thay planned to have santa hats drop every year; but they changed there mind.

Well, the purpose of holiday events is to have fun, Jagex didn't expect this would happen... Speaking of fun, they've done a great job on this year's Christmas event, people are having a blast... There's even a thread with pictures of the guys in Edgeville throwing snowballs at eachother.

signature8xy4.gif

Thanks to Jwrm22 for helping me with the signature :D

Have a look at my 'Land of Fakes'

Private chat ON, give me a HYT and I'll HYT you back :D

It was the greediness of new players,.

Because new players weren't there for the drop, they felt jealousy, and wanted them, the only way to get is from buying, thus starting the whole market for rares.

Although other rares such as party hats and such were already at a marked price when santas dropped.

Uh huh.

Takes two to tango. How about the greed of old players who sold these fun items for a profit?

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It wasn't all the new players greed. How about the players that didn't get on Christmas day because they had a family or a better real life then their RS life :?:

Uh huh.

Takes two to tango. How about the greed of old players who sold these fun items for a profit?

I dunno if they are fun items. Maybe to you they are.

And I can't comment on the old players who've sold. I'm not one of them who did, see.

Tell me something, were you there for the drops, if so, what has become of your rares?

It's really sad to see all those threads on RSOF, wanting tradable holiday items.

Even though it's been said several times not to suggest tradable holiday items,

they still seem to suggest it, over and over again.

All they want is the opportunity to sell it for a large amount of money later on, obviously.

signature8xy4.gif

It wasn't all the new players greed. How about the players that didn't get on Christmas day because they had a family or a better real life then their RS life :?:

They most likely dont care, seeing as their lives is better than their RS one, with your logic.

i gave all mine away in january haha

Wanna be my friend? :lol:

I think Jagex are a little depressed about their RS community, mostly greedy people( just like me ^) :wink: .

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

People see holiday items that you can trade as fast money. I doubt most of them even realize how long it took for the price to rise to what it is now.

I dunno if they are fun items.

They were supposed to be fun items, based on the intentions of those who created them. What you personally think of them doesn't matter.

It's really sad to see all those threads on RSOF, wanting tradable holiday items.

Why is it sad? That's what happens when you have rare items in short supply that newcomers can't easily obtain.

signew2.png

They most likely dont care, seeing as their lives is better than their RS one, with your logic.

I have a real life. I won't be playing on Christmas, but if a rare item drops for some reason I would want one. I have a real life but I sure would like a rare to.

They were supposed to be fun items, based on the intentions of those who created them. What you personally think of them doesn't matter.

Why is it sad? That's what happens when you have rare items in short supply that newcomers can't easily obtain.

Prove where they were supposed to be so-called "fun" items.

As far as I'm concerned, what YOU personally think of them doesn't matter.

It's sad because they come up with a suggestion for a new item, and then end the suggestion by wanting it to be tradable. So what does this tell us about them? Do you really think they care about the item they'd receive?

To be honest, I think the majority of these player would be just as satisfied if they got x amount of gp instead of an actualy holiday item.

signature8xy4.gif

As far as I'm concerned, what YOU personally think of them doesn't matter.

Jagex introduced them so that players could have a fun Christmas. It doesn't say so in such words but that is the reason they introduced them. Are they fun now is a diferant question. Santa hats no longer stand for fun but for being rich. -.-

It's quoted right in the first post of this article. And it was also said when they announced the end of tradable holiday drops. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, hmm? :wall:

signew2.png

I remember the day when they took the mage bonus off the Santa Hats...

They should put it back. Ranger boots and Robins have bonuses... why not the venerable Santa Hat?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours