Mining vs Fishing

RU_Insane

I was torn up today, trying to decide which money-making methods would be a great money maker and also give great XP.

So I decided at first, why not try mining? It did help me get my Full Rune, after all. I can use the coal rocks in Barbarian Village to mine my coal. I have 53 mining, so I can mine coal, and it's a decent money maker if you sell 100-1000 of them on the GE. The Coal mining spot is near Varrock Bank, and it's you waste virtually no time if you run to the bank and back.

However, the coal rocks take time to respawn, and they rocks are sometimes crowded by people with 60+ mining and rune picks.

I believe I made maybe 25k/hr mining coal, if the rocks weren't crowded, on a good day.

Then there's Fishing. If you have 40+ fishing, fishing lobsters with a Lobster Pot is a decent way to make money as well. You go to Karamja with a Lobster pot, and you start fishing raw lobsters. Amazingly enough, raw lobsters are worth more than cooked lobsters on the Grand Exchange, and even more so, people actually buy the Raw Lobsters relatively quick, provided you sell them in big amounts (100+). Getting 100 lobsters to sell on the GE gets you roughly 24k/hr, which is more than enough to get what I need and then some, if any.

And when you're fishing for lobsters, the fishing spots don't necessarily "respawn", and when you level up in fishing, your character still keeps on fishing, whereas in mining, you level up, and your character stops mining, and someone else may get your ore.

However, though, if you're F2P, there is only one Lobster Fishing spot-in Karamja- and you have to pay 30gp to get to Karamja, and another 30gp to get back, whereas mining there's plenty of iron and coal mining spots.

Ok, so you have around 6k worth of lobsters in your inventory, so you only lose 60gp each time, and when you fish 100, its only 240gp, and 2.4k/1000. Not much of a loss, indeed, but it does get on some people's nerves. And not to mention there's no bank on Karamja, so you have to walk back to Draynor Bank to bank your lobsters, and pay another 60gp total for a round trip. -.-

I found I level faster when I fish then when I mine. It took me less then a week to get from 15 to 40 fishing. Maybe 3-4 days, tops. Now my fishing is 50. :D Whereas mining, it takes so looong to get to 60 and my mining is 53. :(

I think there are more pros in Lobster fishing then Coal Mining, but in General, these two major money making methods are neck and neck.

But what do you think is the best money making method of these two, mining or fishing? Feel free to list the pros and cons of either of them or both of them here, and if you wish, share some mining/fishing money making tips too! :D

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Well, you can make steel bars and sell them, that's the best way to make money with mining and smelting... with higher level, when you can make mithril bars, you smelt mithril bars.... etc

Dharoks, emo's ultimate weapon if you know what i'm sayin. :lol:
Very nice 10/10

For a second when I was looking at your drop-list picture. Ilooked at the dragon longsword and said "They have a dragon longsword now??" ohh I'm tired :wall:

..., then I noticed a gravestone where our tank was supposed to be and my health was a 1 digit number again.

nice .. let me re read it..

edit-

fishing is better, their no respawn

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.