I have a few questions regarding a PSU...

Orpheus

I am getting a GeForce 9600GT, and I have a question on whether my power supply unit is strong enough to run it(It says 400W on it). If it's not strong enough, i'll need some help with picking a decent unit that my comp can use.

Thanks for any help.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I'd get a new one personally. A 400w is the minimum recommended for my 8800gt. You have to think the PSU is powering not only the video card, but the motherboard power, the fans/lights, all drives. You'll probably be good with anywhere from 550-650w, thats probably the standard you will see these days.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

More important than the wattage of a psu is the amount of amps on the +12v rails. If your psu is just a generic one, then it probably is a good idea to upgrade because they usually don't give out the amount of wattage they're assigned to (e.g. your 400W could maybe pull 300W on load). I'd recommend a Corsair VX-450, which would run a 9600gt fine.

Ok, after looking at my price range, and other stuff, this is probably the PSU i'll get:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=719600&Sku=T13-2013

550W for $40 sounds pretty nice to me.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Ok, after looking at my price range, and other stuff, this is probably the PSU i'll get:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=719600&Sku=T13-2013

Lol, go to newegg.com better service than tiger.

I wouldn't trust that 40$ one in my system.

Lol, go to newegg.com better service than tiger.

I wouldn't trust that 40$ one in my system.

100% Agree.

a $40 400w PSU doesnt sound like very good quality to me. just as others mentioned, you should get a better quality one, it is the most importand part of your system, and probably the one most likely to fail under normal use.

i read somewhere a while ago someone did a test with a really good 300w PSU and a generic cheap 1000w PSU and the 300w preformed better, which isnt a suprise.

there is more to PSU's than just wattage. you should also pay good attention to brand (quality) and amps especially on 12v rails.