I got a virus/spyware, computer help NEEDED please!!!

Rahila

Hi, I am currently out of town and forced to use an old compluter of mine. somehow in the past few days, I got a spyware message on my computer and i think i have a virus. I do not know how to get rid of it and I would like to know a solution. I just downloaded spyware terminator and i removed (i think) some of the spywares/viruses, but the message still pops up saying i have a spyware.

What should i do??

Also, i would like to just completely clear this computer's memory and return it to its original state(nothing important is on it), but i do not know how (i do not have any of the disks/info that came with this comp either). Is it possible to clear its memory online or just somehow from this computer?

One last thing, I don't know if i should log on to runescape or not because i don't want to get hacked, I havent logged on since i got the spyware, but can they still access my account if i had been on rs before i got the virus?

thanks a ton, all advice is greatly appreciated.

First thing, do not log into RuneScape until you have the problems completely taken care of. You don't want to end up finding out that your RuneScape account has been compromised.

The next thing I would ask of you is to list your system specifications. This will help a lot. (Operating System, RAM, Processor, etc.)

Here's some programs that might help:

Spybot - Search and Destroy

Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE

AVG Free Edition

Kaspersky Scanner (There's a free online scanner somewhere on the website..)

Trend Micro HiJackThis (Post the log up here on these forums. Please DO NOT attempt to remove processes by yourself!!)

j0xPu5R.png

thanks a ton.

and this computer is a windows xp 2002 and is 256mb of ram...don't know how much that helps.

The wierdest thing is that when i first got the spyware, my background of this comp turned into a message that says "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer! Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer"

#-o

They (the writers of the adware) did that to make you buy their product, which actually does nothing except tell you that it's removed the adware. :roll: It's a scam that lots of people would fall for if they didn't have any knowledge about this kind of thing.

Spybot and Ad-Aware are the two programs I'd recommend most for this, and also BitDefender Free Edition, which is a really good but lesser-known antivirus.

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Pics or it didn't happen.
I hate my generation.

ok, so i figured out that you can restore your computer to its excact state at any point in recent history, so i restored mine to about a month ago.

The background that said there was spyware on my comp is back to my normal background and all the spyware programs i just downloaded are gone, does this mean the spyware is gone? it sure seems like it...

i still recommend that you run a virus scan since it won't really hurt... System restore only restore changes made to the OS, i don't think it will delete the virus, but it may undo the changes that the virus made to your computer

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

Boot up in safe mode (Hit F8 when Windows is booting up and select boot in safe mode).

Then do a virus scan and a ad/mal/spy ware scan.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

holy hell, problem not solved...

everything was fine for a while until once again the message and my background changed back to that spyware message :|

It's getting very frustrating and i honestly wish i could just restore this computer to its original state :x

any help? :pray:

system restore won't work on solving the virus/spyware, and don't keep restoring it since it will break your hard drive ( like my mom's... lucky its in warranty lol) boot up in safe mode and run Ad-aware, spybot,search&destory, AVG, and Super antispyware after they are all done scanning, and removing, then boot up in normal mode. To me, it's just a pop up AD thing that went into your computer caused by u clicked on some poped AD when visiting some sites... Happened to me before, except it was a website that keeps refreshing itself....

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

The wierdest thing is that when i first got the spyware, my background of this comp turned into a message that says "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer! Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer"

#-o

My brother got exactly the same problem today, he is probably downloading mods for some games, and not realising one of the mods he installed has got such a spyware installed

I formatted the harddisk and everything is gone. This is the only sure fire way. This virus is very dirty --- it prevents you from using control panel and task manager. It even changes your background to a freaky html file which will instantly open a screen to buy its rogue antivirus when clicked.

Just backup your data, (like by copying them to another drive), do the recovery if you have the disc, ask a friend for a copy of Windows 2000 if you don't, reinstall antivirus (I don't recommend you use bitdefender FREE --- it don't have on access scan function making it almost useless), update it, scan your backup files in case the adware chooses to hide in anyone of them, then everything is than solved.

You may manually do the solving job yourself. Using spyware terminator, check out the name of the responsible spyware, then use internet to search for tools to stop them (ONLY IN GOOD SITES)

Finally, for Runescape, after installation and confirmation of virus free environment of your new Windows, log on it, change passwords, bank PIN, recovery data.

Currently taking a break from Runescape

holy hell, problem not solved...

everything was fine for a while until once again the message and my background changed back to that spyware message :|

It's getting very frustrating and i honestly wish i could just restore this computer to its original state :x

any help? :pray:

System restore one more time,boot up in safe mode and just alternate between spybot S&D and trojan remover.When your done with that boot up regularly and do the same thing.