can your Mhz or Ghz be upgraded on ur comp?

Ixl_Jj_Ixl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not possible, many laptops only are capable of 800Mhz and this one of the top speeds out there...

If your looking for speed the most least expensive thing to do is upgrade your memory to 1024MB if possible.. or if you have more cash to spend a new CPU though these can become really expensive.

its not possible, many laptops only are capable of 800Mhz and this one of the top speeds out there...

If your looking for speed the most least expensive thing to do is upgrade your memory to 1024MB if possible.. or if you have more cash to spend a new CPU though these can become really expensive.

What? No... not at all.

My laptop is 1.6 Ghz, and this is no wheres near the limit of what a laptop can do. I have no idea where you are getting your information from, but having 512 in a laptop is already ALOT. I only have 384 mb of RAM in mine, and adding RAM ro a laptop can cost a bundle!

The problem is that the motherboard in your Laptop uses a Pentium 3 socket. I do not remember which sockets are used for these, but I do know that they won't be compatible with new processors. If you can find a faster Processor with the same socket as your current one, it is possible to upgrade. My advice? Don't bother.

wow thanks guys, so maybe if i upgraded to 1 gb ram? and around how much money am i lookin into? and will it speed up my program? thanks

You *might* be able to put a GB of RAM in your computer, if your motherboard supports it. You most likely won't gain from it, though.

If you still have available RAM when you're doing your normal day to day tasks (you can check that in the task manager by pressing ctl+alt+del), it's almost certain you won't gain from additional RAM.

512MB of laptop RAM runs at about $80-100. If you have both So-DIMM slots full (two 256MB So-DIMMS), it'll end up costing you $160-200, which could be the case.

It's most likely not worth it.

how do i tell if im using all 512 mb under task manager?

taskmanagerlge4mw.gif

Total is how much RAM your computer has, Available is how much RAM you have left.

If you have relatively low amount of available left, (50,000 or around there), you've used most of it up. If it's 100,000 or more, you're golden.

Also, if the System Cache is REALLY high (more than the available RAM, or very close), you could also benefit from some more RAM.

lemme repost that pic.. :wink:

my.php?image=untitled1qf1.jpg

kk, now. i had a msn messenger window up earlier, i have only 5 things in my task bar. and my cpu usage will stay around 1-2 % or so then it will jump up to 38% or so, is this normal?

my.php?image=54chevyflame9wy.jpg

lemme repost that pic.. :wink:

kk, now. i had a msn messenger window up earlier, i have only 5 things in my task bar. and my cpu usage will stay around 1-2 % or so then it will jump up to 38% or so, is this normal?

That's normal. The jump from 1-2% to 38% means that your processor was only using 1-2% of it's potential, and then [bleep]ed up to 38% of it's potential.

It's only bad if your computer is running at 100% ALL of the time. Usually that will accompany slow response time, since your processor is being given too many tasks, so your computer will usually come to a halt (or run REALLY slow).

As for the RAM, you're using about half of it. You wouldn't get ANY performance increase with more RAM. It would end up being a waste of money.

alright, thanks! i saved money by not gettin more RAM and by switchin to geico! :lol: but um, when i run rs. it says cpu usage, 100% and itll go down to 98 every now and then. help

As long as it doesn't slow your computer down, it should be fine. I'm at 75% on a 1.5Ghz Pentium-M (about the same performance as a 2.4Ghz P4)

If it's slowing you down, use the low detail client, that should speed things up a bit.

no Zonda..

Im talking about Mhz not Ghz they are two completely different things..

MHz stands for MegaHertz. GHz stands for GigaHertz. 1 GHz = 1000 MHz. These are units of speed and are the exact same thing, contrary to what you said. Obviously GHz are higher numbers.