Locked and moved Topics

Goin on a limb but I would guess it is to let the original poster know what happened. While you or me would know, hey its gone, must have gotten deleted. A newer to the forum would say, hmm a glitch in the system, and repost it. Locked topics go away after a while but yes it can be annoying to have a good thread get push to the second page because of a spam message... :wall:

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Goin on a limb but I would guess it is to let the original poster know what happened. While you or me would know, hey its gone, must have gotten deleted. A newer to the forum would say, hmm a glitch in the system, and repost it. Locked topics go away after a while but yes it can be annoying to have a good thread get push to the second page because of a spam message... :wall:

Yes, that's why I leave them there. I like to see why my thread was locked, so if I have any questions, I could direct them to a moderator.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Yes, that's why I leave them there. I like to see why my thread was locked, so if I have any questions, I could direct them to a moderator.

Is there any way to only let the poster view it and hide it from the rest of the people?

edit:

Perhaps you can make a minimize feature. When a topic is closed/moved, it is minimized basically and it says "hidden" or the topic title in a smaller font.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Is there any way to only let the poster view it and hide it from the rest of the people?

As far as I know, no. Why would we want this though?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I'm not sure if this is still being done, but when I was on Staff I used to prune moved/lock threads once they reached the end of page one. By that time we can assume that the author of the thread has read why their thread was locked or located where their thread was moved to. If this is still being done - great. If not, it would be nice if some of the moderators would look into it (at least in the more popular forums: General Discussion, Help & Advice and Off-Topic).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

To me I like them being there so I can redirect people to certain topics that got locked from he user requesting a lock, or another reason. Either for referencing in discussion topics, or linking as examples of whats already been posted, are two solid good reasons why locked topics shouldn't be moved away from public view.

Locked topics can still hold information, and moved topics serve a link to a moved topic, incase a topic starter cannot find it. Imagine creating a topic, then suddenly it is in another forum with no moved sign. If you were new you would probably not understand where it has gone.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

If you posted something about one thing, and then it gets moved rather than locked, another player would guess that it's okay not seeing the other topic locked, so they would create the same topic. That's one reason why threads are locked. ;)

j0xPu5R.png

If you posted something about one thing, and then it gets moved rather than locked, another player would guess that it's okay not seeing the other topic locked, so they would create the same topic. That's one reason why threads are locked. ;)

But if the poster ACTUALLY READ THE RULES! then they would know what type of things to ,or not to, post.

But I do see the point of keeping locked/moved topics viewable. Maybe you could add a setting where the users that don't want to see them can set it to not show the locked/moved topics?

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I was just about to start a topic asking a similar thing, which was why when topics are locked or moved they are bumped to the top again...

I understand what has been said about the OP wanting to find their thread but if it wasn't for the fact of a thread being locked (and consequently bumped in the process) it would still be in its old position further down the board anyway...

I guess my suggestion is when topics are locked/moved they should not be bumped back to the top of the board...

Avid43.png