Buying a New Desktop, STILL Need Advice

PumpkinPete112

Ok so im working on buying a new Desktop (Just the tower) Id like it to be good from gaming, but nothing rediculous. Id also like it to be for under $599. Heres what I had in mind (dell)

[hide=]PROCESSOR Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E2180 (1MB, 2.00GHz, 800FSB) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus

MONITOR No Monitor

MEMORY 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 256MB

SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included

MODEM No Modem Option[/hide]

So whats the best brand for quality/price? If you have better ideas please tell me.

PS: This has nothing to do with the RAM thread, its my own project.

Sig

The 2400Pro graphics is pretty low end and an old series, and the Dell PSU is often too weedy to take much more.

Rummaging through newegg, I spotted this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883108189

After rebate, that leaves quite a chunk for a decent graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883227073

Or that, a step up in CPU classification, and after rebate, leaves 80$ for upgrading the graphics

Building a computer costs a lot less than going to brands. And if you want to go for brands, don't go for Dell, they have a lot of crashes.
Dell XPS systems are top quality.

Even dell's highest end XPS H2C computers are still not as powerful as a well built home built computer. The cheapest computer they have that uses exclusively branded components starts at about 3,000$, and even then I have heard complaints about them using pared down versions of hardware without telling their customers about it (the sound cards in particular). If it is not one of their ultra high end computers, in their desktops they tend to use cheap no name components that while they run fine with the hardware supplied, there is no room for upgrades. Their laptops are better then most however.

And free steel, would you be willing to build a computer? If you are I could put a parts list together. You would get quite a bit more for your money that way.

"Acer Aspire AM5100-U5313A Phenom X4 9500(2.2GHz) 3GB DDR2 500GB ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO Windows Vista Home Premium - Retail "

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883103162 - 480$. Better computer, much cheaper.

If you want to upgrade graphics on a branded computer, you usually need to upgrade the power supply too.

What i'd do, is to build a computer from scratch. It get's cheaper, you have much more choices and you get better performance. But for 600 bucks, you can't get anything mega.. especially not pre-made computers.

I think, if you want to play games, pick out computer parts. Either at a local store in your town, or at newegg and (if you don't know how to) ask them to assemble the computer.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

"Acer Aspire AM5100-U5313A Phenom X4 9500(2.2GHz) 3GB DDR2 500GB ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO Windows Vista Home Premium - Retail "

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883103162 - 480$. Better computer, much cheaper.

If you want to upgrade graphics on a branded computer, you usually need to upgrade the power supply too.

What i'd do, is to build a computer from scratch. It get's cheaper, you have much more choices and you get better performance. But for 600 bucks, you can't get anything mega.. especially not pre-made computers.

I think, if you want to play games, pick out computer parts. Either at a local store in your town, or at newegg and (if you don't know how to) ask them to assemble the computer.

Hmm looks good, do they offer a payment plan on computers/parts. Becuase if i can buy all the parts seperate and make payments and have them assemble it, id be happy as a fly. ( I plan pay with payments, but like $100 a payment for 5 months)

PS: By games i mean stuff like Battlefield 2 and The Orange Box on low details running smoothly

Sig

Hmm looks good, do they offer a payment plan on computers/parts. Becuase if i can buy all the parts seperate and make payments and have them assemble it, id be happy as a fly. ( I plan pay with payments, but like $100 a payment for 5 months)

PS: By games i mean stuff like Battlefield 2 and The Orange Box on low details running smoothly

Well, it seems like the 2400pro would go for around 20fps on BF2 on 1024x768. Playable, but barely.

( http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3023 )

I never shop at Newegg because i live in Europe, so i haven't looked into the payment-plans and such. If you can't find how much they take for assembling a custom computer you can call them.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Well Ive looked at a few and heres what im down to:

Dell: $669

[hide=]PROCESSOR Intel® Core 2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1

MONITOR No Monitor

MEMORY 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)

HARD DRIVE 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

VIDEO CARD Radeon HD 2400 Pro Graphics Media Card

SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell Entry Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive or Media Card Reader

MODEM No Modem Option[/hide]

Walmart: $548

[hide=]SpecificationsAdditional Specifications

Processor Type: Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core

Hard Drive Size: 320 GB

System RAM: 2048 MB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor

Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ / 2.6 GHz

Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core

Cache Memory

Type: L2 cache

Installed Size: 1 MB

RAM

Installed Size: 2 GB

Technology: DDR2 SDRAM

Storage

Hard Drive: 1 x 320 GB - standard - Serial ATA-300

Operating System / Software

OS Provided: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Software: Microsoft Office 2007 (60 days trial)

Graphics Controller

Type: Integrated

Graphics Processor / Vendor: ATI Radeon X1250

Optical Storage

Type: DVD±RW

Expansion / Connectivity

Expansion Bays Total (Free): Front accessible - 5.25" x 1/2H ¦ Front accessible - 3.5" x 1/3H ¦ Internal - 3.5" x 1/3H

Expansion Slots Total (Free): 1 ( 0 ) x processor - Socket AM2 ¦ Memory - DIMM 240-pin

Mouse

Technology: Optical

Dimensions

Product Form Factor: Tower

More Information

Model No.: Gamer 501-WN

Shipping Weight (in pounds): 42.0

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 18.89 x 9.05 x 16.54

Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported

Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported

Wal-Mart No.: 000520661[/hide]

Compaq: $479

[hide=]Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1

Processor AMD AthlonTM X2 5400 Dual-Core Processor

Memory 3072MB

Memory speed PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM

Total memory slots 4 DIMM

Maximum memory 8GB

Graphics card Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory

TV & entertainment experience N/A

PCI expansion 1 PCI (occupied) 2 PCI Express x1 (available) 1 PCI Express x16 (available)

Hard drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA [gigabyte is defined as 1,000,000,000 bytes, accessible capacity may vary]

Primary CD/DVD drive SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

Secondary CD/DVD drive N/A

Networking Integrated 10/100Mbps network interface

Sound card High Definition Audio

Speakers 8 speaker configurable

System N/A

Front-side bus (processor dependent) 2000MT/s System Bus

Power supply N/A

I/O ports Front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Back) Headphone; Microphone (Front) 2 PS/2; LAN; Microphone/Line-in/Line-out;

Software, full versions muvee autoProducer Basic: Automatically create professional looking home videos videos and burn to DVD Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe: Automatically fix and edit videos and create CDs and DVDs. Edit, burn and archive data to discs. Microsoft Works 9: Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar Adobe Reader 8.0: Read and print PDF files HP Total Care Advisor: Customizable desktop tool provides support, system health and shopping information

Software, introductory versions Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Trial: 60-day trial version Norton Internet Security 2008: Protect your PC out of the box (60 days of complimentary live updates)

Trial Internet service Easy sign-up to major dial-up and broadband Internet Service Providers: - MSN dial-up (offer included) - NetZero Dial-Up (offer included) - NetZero Accelerated Dial-Up (offer included) - Juno Turbo Dial-Up (offer included) - High Speed Internet Services Comparison Shopping

Dimensions 16.77"(L) x 6.67"(W) x 14.85"(H/D)

Basic warranty One year of hardware parts and labor coverage, 90 day software toll-free phone assistance[/hide]

So which one is best? (ALSO which canrun "The Orange Box" decently smooth on the lowest settings (and maybe 800x600 resolution)

Sig

1st option has a low end gpu from 2 generations of video cards ago (which wasn't a very good generation anyway) and both 2nd and 3rd computers you chose have integrated gpus, which perform pathetically for any modern game. Really, I'd look for something with more grunt, but as snipersas asked, are you willing to assemble your own pc? You'll get a lot more performance per dollar that way. But if it really came down to it, the 1st option is best and should be able to play Orange Box (lowest settings + resolution), but not well.